Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tigranes

Arcane
Not everyone can stomach walking through empty maps and map transitions over and over again, Blaine. It takes a heroe like yourself, the man who can fish for hours and record fishing/DEX correlates.

ArchAngel BG1 was just fine. I imagine it woudl have been annoying if, every time you want to go anywhere inside Baldur's Gate, your only fast-travel point is on the wrong side of the long bridge at the gates.

hell bovine

Arcane
I guess you don't mind the metro train conveniently waiting for your character to finish with slaughtering the entire base. Maybe the driver and other passengers truly don't mind. Or maybe it's simply a ghost train.

This may shock you, but Underrail was developed with limited resources. Animating the train and providing it with AI, simulated passengers, and complicated scripting would have been an extravagance.

You're really, REALLY reaching to justify your argument that everything should be convenient for the player. If the absurdity of your above statement isn't apparent to you, then you're neck-deep in rationalization.
This may come as a shock to you, but it's possible to design the terrain layout so that it doesn't feature the only entry point next to a standing train AND doesn't feature an empty tunnel serving only as a method of area transition. Oh, and btw, this argument is about how Underrail features numerous passages, tunnels or caves with little or no content in them, serving only as area transitions. But if you don't realize this, then you're neck-deep in your generalizations.
Empty caves argument I have seen too often. My guess is that same people that bring it up also didn't like playing BG1. For me BG1 is best IE game precisely for the exploration reasons and I don't mind any of the Underrail "empty" caves and passages.
BG1 features a world map that you can use for transitions, after you've "uncovered" an area on it. Imagine how different it would play if you had to walk through all the areas back and forth instead, e.g. in that quest when you have to deliver the wounded deserter to the temple.

Guys, some of the hundreds of caves aren't filled with stuff, and I have to walk through them to get to the next cave. Also, occasionally the fast travel is further than two inches away from the merchants.

SHIT GAME 5/10, FUCKING AMATEUR DESIGN, HOPE UNDERRAIL 2 IS BETTER
Oh, I believe that you think alt-tabbing to read sth on the net, while your character walks from one end of the map to the other, is a sign of good design.

There's a middle ground here. The caves being as they are is fine. Something like five area transitions to get to the weapon merchant is not.

I mean - rational economic actors would want their stores close to main thoroughfares/areas of high travel.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Empty caves argument I have seen too often. My guess is that same people that bring it up also didn't like playing BG1. For me BG1 is best IE game precisely for the exploration reasons and I don't mind any of the Underrail "empty" caves and passages.
BG1 features a world map that you can use for transitions, after you've "uncovered" an area on it. Imagine how different it would play if you had to walk through all the areas back and forth instead, e.g. in that quest when you have to deliver the wounded deserter to the temple.
True but it would not be that bad. Do I prefer BG1 system? I do, but I don't really mind how Underrail does it. But underrail travel would be terrible if you had a party and BG level pathfinding :D
Guys, some of the hundreds of caves aren't filled with stuff, and I have to walk through them to get to the next cave. Also, occasionally the fast travel is further than two inches away from the merchants.

SHIT GAME 5/10, FUCKING AMATEUR DESIGN, HOPE UNDERRAIL 2 IS BETTER
Oh, I believe that you think alt-tabbing to read sth on the net, while your character walks from one end of the map to the other, is a sign of good design.
That is why I do while waiting for movement, but only when encumbered or going on merchant trips around the Underrail.

Gord

Arcane
My first attempt at crafting an high-crit damage sniper to replace the old Dragunov:
(Reaper+Anatomically Aware Scope+Smart Module)+(Critical Power+Aimed Shot)=288% Critical Bonus + additional Smart Goggles:
iy7mlh1.png

Not bad, and there's some room for more with better quality items.
Downside: I need to rely on criticals for good damage, which means Aimed Shot's cooldown is something of a limiting factor.

Tigranes

Arcane
My first attempt at crafting an high-crit damage sniper to replace the old Dragunov:
(Reaper+Anatomically Aware Scope+Smart Module)+(Critical Power+Aimed Shot)=288% Critical Bonus + additional Smart Goggles:
iy7mlh1.png

Not bad, and there's some room for more with better quality items.
Downside: I need to rely on criticals for good damage, which means Aimed Shot's cooldown is something of a limiting factor.

Snipe can help.

Combined with Crit Power the scope for crit damage is always the way to go, IMO.

Gord

Arcane
question for opinions

I would say it depends what you are aiming (lel) for.
For my Sniper Rifle, I wanted the highest possible initial damage. So I tried maximizing critical damage bonus at the cost of sustained damage output.
Thus anatomically aware scope with Reaper frame.

On the other hand, you could try to maximize shots/round together with crit chance. In that case go for rapid reloader + high-res scope

Snipe can help.

I had decided to ignore stealth with my char, otherwise that would be a sensible choice, I guess.
Actually I wanted to rely on chemical and energy pistols with my build, but SMG + Sniper seems just so much better.

Last edited:

Coyote

Arcane
I mean - rational economic actors would want their stores close to main thoroughfares/areas of high travel.

Yeah, this was something that was throwing me off in an earlier iteration of the convenience vs. sensible worldbuilding discussion where the go-to example was the Core City merchants. It's not hard to imagine a version of Core City where the merchants are conveniently clustered around the elevator and it makes perfect sense from a world-building perspective. For a place like SGS, sure, it would detract from verisimilitude since the merchants are mostly just people going about their day-to-day station duties who also happen to have stuff they're willing to trade.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yeah, this was something that was throwing me off in an earlier iteration of the convenience vs. sensible worldbuilding discussion where the go-to example was the Core City merchants. It's not hard to imagine a version of Core City where the merchants are conveniently clustered around the elevator and it makes perfect sense from a world-building perspective. For a place like SGS, sure, it would detract from verisimilitude since the merchants are mostly just people going about their day-to-day station duties who also happen to have stuff they're willing to trade.
Well merchants in Core City are clustered around the entrance to Arena and Hardcore bar, their location is completely logical.

Coyote

Arcane
I wasn't saying that it's not logical as is, just that this isn't good example of a case where logical world-building is necessarily at odds with convenience.

Shadenuat

Arcane
question for opinions

scopes

anatomically aware or high resolution?

reaper frame
I ended up running in something like crit build, with extra crit perk and perk that adds extra 1.5% crit dmg for every point above 100, and I went with +crit dmg for sniper rifle (Reaper, base 175%), and +crit chance for assault rifle (Chimera, base crit chance 13%, extra crit 130%).
With perks and infused rathound leather my rifle has 30% chance crit and 175% crit bonus, sniper rifle has 288% crit bonus. Second module for both weapons is Smart obviously.
I use sniper rifle for opening shots, and with assault rifle I enjoy 200-400 damage crits with regular attacks every fight. Also burst just annihilates things, sometimes multiple enemies at once.
Now I just wonder what goggles I should switch too, I think I'll go with crit bonus too instead of special attack bonus. I am dissapointed that even with 300 Detection I can't see enemies when I need to :?

edit. added goggles, so now 47% crit chance so far.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Entered DC. Man I'm completely lost about the plot and everything (well, I have been for quite a while, since I finished with Core City and last time I interacted with familiar characters was helping Gorsky get his lair back). Game allows you to do lots of stuff for Institute but then you just dump them and Eidein? I'm a big fan of biology, eugenics and Cthulhu's, I wanted to join them. And I thought we were also searching for macguffin, I didn't even have an option to ask Eidein about it?
I had some nice time with these guys, nice people, some interesting quests, I even had a drink with one of them. I can't betray someone I had a drink with :decline:
This all stinks, I hope game doesn't lead me to an inevitable and unavoidable boss fight.

(later)
Oh for fuck sakes it does. :(

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
I wish damaging allies would get a tweak. Not only they turn on you if you clip them by accident with a grenade or burst shot, if you place AoE like napalm grenade and they run into it themselves they seem to turn on you.

Also, in fight for elevator into DC, when elevator comes, game may skip player's turn I think.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
The problem wasn't Execute.
That 4k crit merely illustrates the extent of the insane damage modifier stacking pistols had going on. The main thing was that you could reliably destroy pretty much any combat encounter in a single turn with all that damage stacking on homing hits from electric pistols.

However, I'm still not sure why Styg had to go and nerf pistol base damage by 20% in addition to nerfing every single pistol feat and adding limitations to electroshock pistols.

And about Eidein... he might have astronomical Resolve but Neural Overload still fries his brains real good, thanks to his equally astronomical Intelligence. I've seen 1k crit with MB+NO.

That's one thing that's been bothering me a bit , in retrospective, after finishing the game 2 times. Combat is simply astronomically skewed in the favor of offense. I played psychosis PSI and fist weapon, and in I'd wager that in 90% of all combat encounters the enemies didn't even get a single turn, yet the combat was still tense, because if they did, I'd just get oneshot/stunlocked in return. Untill you get one of those 1500 capacity shields that is, you should have given some of them to enemies.
The same holds for the ol' tentacle monster, I had no idea he even spawns tchortlings because he died in 1/2 rounds.

You can get 2k++ crits pretty easily with NO, problably over 3k too.

The Gauntlet should end with all competitors fighting each other directly to the death in a final arena room. As it is it's pretty lame and frustrating.

Biggest problem is that the room themselves take a widely different amount of time, ie. the time spread for the lightning floor room and the rathound trap is probably like 5 min.
Also they could warn you that you don't get to keep any loot :negative:.

I wish damaging allies would get a tweak. Not only they turn on you if you clip them by accident with a grenade or burst shot, if you place AoE like napalm grenade and they run into it themselves they seem to turn on you.

Also, in fight for elevator into DC, when elevator comes, game skips player's turn I think.

The first time is the worst, I believed that if you hold out long enough you can save Eidein. Then after 15 rounds your 90% pyrokinesis misses and they turn on you. Let's go again! :bounce:

I too found it awkward how you just had to dump the Institute. Making wrong/bad/tentacle-worshipping choices should be allowed even if you get eaten.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Making wrong/bad/tentacle-worshipping choices should be allowed even if you get eaten
I don't understand how Tchortists got to be bad or wrong. This cult is a cool idea, once I heard the concept in Core City in the beginning of the game, I thought of them as my own "good guys". They worship understandable and real thing, and have real ideal - to change humanity so it could live on surface again. It doesn't matter what they do for it, since other factions are not "nice" either, being skewed too far into order or chaos, respectively.
Even if for Tchortists to achieve their goals whole old world must die, it's still an interesting choice - old world died in Underrail many times, judging by what I've seen in game (first surface, then Biocorp, etc.).

This sorta environmental, eco-terrorist Gaian-fanatical dream, as well as people "evolved" motive and a bit of biopunk exists in my favorite manga, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
There heroine meets an ancient being that existed before apocalypse and also finds a way to change world back to it's pristine, pre-apoc clean, perfect green tree hugging state, but only a few would survive to live in it, and her own world would die, including new ecosystem and it's creatures she came to love so much that spawned from actual contamination of old world by natural processes, unlike synthetic thing that was offered to her.

Also, this:

TtXCDIR.jpg

Is basically same as this:

Ua5abMh.jpg

Of course, I just arrived at place and began exploring, but that one dialogue irritated me and triggered narrative-rpg fag in me greatly. There might be some fantastic explanations and consequences for my actions through game ahead, but that character killed my mood for final level of the game.
Want someone mysterious to explain things between Faceless and Tchortists?
Use Faceless prisoner from Core City. He is already used in some events. Player knows him. Player would have a choice to learn from him or save him or not - or explore without crazy prophecies, using help of factions he knows and listening to their own, non-neutral perspective on things. That would be a lot more elegant.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Did Styg run of of time when doing Upper Underrail? That place seems really small compared to LU.
Everything is practically round the corner from Core City...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom