Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Darkest Dungeon Released

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Oh Reddit, will you ever quit being you? Answer: No.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/41ysi2/anatomy_of_abusive_early_access_practices/

Here's what it said before it was shadowbanned in 10 minutes at 1 in the fucking morning:

Anatomy of Abusive Early Access Practices:

* Advertise game using grandoise, yet vague speech that promises everything and delivers nothing.

* Show game that looks very visually appealing for a short time.

* Attract large amounts of interest.

* Greatly exceed Kickstarter goal.

* Get large amounts of media attention.

* Develop for a while.

* Recruit absurd numbers of video content creators and have them all promote the game a week before release.

* Game, which still looks visually appealing attracts many, who generally do not watch for THAT long.

* Game is released in Early Access. As a result of all the video makers, large numbers of people buy the game, mostly because their favorite streamer liked it.

* Most people leave after a few hours, and don't see the problem. Many leave positive reviews on the way out, you know "10/10 GoTY" "10 hours." *never comes back*.

* Those who do not start seeing the fatal flaw. The game only looks ok for a few hours. After that you realize you're out of unique content, you realize the mechanics are shallow and one dimensional, and the game is nothing like what it is described as.

* Knowing this is exactly what Early Access is for, you post well reasoned criticisms on the forums. They are ignored.

* After a few months of this and slow development in general, a patch is released in which nearly every feature is contentious in some way.

* One of these features is used as a strawman, claiming that it's the only problem with the game as a means of dismissing the other, stronger criticisms.

* Criticisms such as the lack of a meaningful, coherent design direction, the fact the game was nothing like what it advertised itself as, the community censorship, the mismarketing, the deliberate promotion of hostility and aggression in their community all of which started very shortly after.

* The one feature most people get caught on is partially retracted as a result of negative media attention.

* Unfortunately, that reinforced the strawman, as now all problems with the game are optional, going by their narrative (even though this is still not true). Every other problem still remains and now has a convient shield.

* After several more months of slow development, more delays, and complete lack of any meaningful changes from the game's launch state (meaningful change meaning things that actually change how the game works or expand on it in a meaningful way... superficially different classes and areas do not qualify) as well as more of the aforementioned shady behavior the developers married the cause they were courting - namely, that tedium = difficulty, and deliberately introduced a lot more, as well as further reenforcing the already dominant dynamics. So instead of making the game difficult, they merely made it slow, while still easy and the same as ever.

* Around the same time, they finally got tired of the negative reviews that had been dominant for half a year, as they realized that even with more frequent and steeper discounts people were not being fooled, and indeed sales mostly just resulted in the negative reviews getting thousands of recommended votes from prospective buyers who looked around first.

* This was really hurting them during the holiday sale, as at that time the page was 100% strong negative.

* So the developers had the subreddit for their game manipulate votes, and they, being the self selected aggressive advertising sorts they were went along with this. This resulted in 100+ negative reviews being buried very quickly and 20+ positives being escalated just as quickly. This all happened 12/27 - 12/29.

* Not everyone is a fool, and a Steam user pointed this out, did his research, showed his work and spelled out exactly what the developers were doing. Naturally, he was censored, but only after being sworn at and insulted by the "civil and respectful community", in the dev's own words. He's not the only victim, there were dozens in July/August, but it was a recent example of a non aggressive person being censored just because they were against the game.

* A few weeks later, the game finally "releases", if you could call its release state that. It gets literally 600+ reviews, almost all positive within 24 hours. Most of these are from accounts who only wrote one review, who have very low hour counts, who own absolutely zero games on Steam including this one, or are not positively reviewing the game so much as they are negatively reviewing critics. Often, there is some combination of these.

* Meanwhile, one negative review quickly achieves prominence by virtue of spelling out everything. And by quickly I mean 2,500+ votes in the same 24 hours.

* As you can probably imagine, the shills were very offended by that. As you can also probably imagine, the review was mine, and I blocked around 60 people for death threats, suicide requests, general personal attacks and trolling, and otherwise being incapable of reasoned debate. I also got a few hundred that were more positive about the warning.

* As I'm sure you can also probably imagine, the developers were not happy with me. They never are, when anything makes them look bad. In the minds of **Red Hook Studios**, the makers of **Darkest Dungeon** everyone wrong with this game is my fault, even the stuff I have no power over, no connection with, or no real say in.

* Cue their latest, most ultimate, and least deniable censorship antics.

http://i.imgur.com/0nx52oz.png

As if it were not enough the developers perma ban people from the forums simply for being critical of the game (dozens in July/August, me in September, several more in December and January) and never ever touch supporters no matter how much they cross the line, they are now blatantly and obviously censoring reviews!

r/Games isn't controlled by Derpest, I don't think. And if they are I'm making Cadogan work overtime. :troll: It would absolutely explain the media silence though if this were bigger than them, and they damn sure aren't spending their 7 million dollars on bettering the game in any way...

Celerity

Did I make a little shill plant salty? Oh no, I am reveling in the glorious light of revelation, as I, Mother Fucking Celerity SON have just exposed them without even doing anything. Instead of just letting their shill army bury it, they made that mistake.

Angthoron

Arcane
You know, when Sensuki did it for Pillars of Eternity, he was cool and got cool tags for it. Later he did an uncool thing and lost his cool tags.

You seem to be more efficient in your crusade to fight the power with rays of autism though, skipping the inefficient middle steps. Super good!

Celerity

And where would he be without me, hm?

Edit: Nevermind, tags are below usernames. Derp.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
But I suggest everyone to buy it just to spite our new local loonie Celerity.
12987.jpg
"I'm proud of you, child!"

This comment to apply to, oh, let's say 85% of RPGs ever made.

AH, so the game is a generic bland and boring piece of shit? Just like Celerity said, then?

Depending on thread you're either very supportive and agreeable or shitposting.

No. This is my last attempt at explaining this, so please do try to understand this time. There is a difference between myself and most people ITT and that is I ACTUALLY paid attention to the whole "Celerity vs DD" thing AND I don't really care about the game in any way. So not only I have no money invested on this, I'm also able to see that there are many MANY aspects to this whole drama instead of "who is right, Celerity or Red Hook!? DISCUSS!". I'm gonna use Codex smilies to demonstrate:

[The average Codex poster reaction to your stuff]
:whatho:

"Goodness gracious, that's preposterous! This troubled young man needs medical attention posthaste!"

Since I actually paid attention, I react different to every aspect of the story. Here:

[My reaction to the RL crimes commited against you]

:mob:(against RH)
:hug: (towards you. Nohomo, tho)

[My reaction to Red Hook's despicable censorship]

:fight: :mob:

[My reaction to DD being shit]

:hmmm: "Yet another cRPG that turns out to be shit? K."

[My reaction to you unironically stating that you don't see a difference between Fallout 1/2 and 3]

:notsureifserious:

[My reaction to your opinion on pretty much every other non DD related thread]
:abyssgazer:

0nx52oz.png

If there are still any doubts about their vile corruption, let them be forever dispelled now. Blatant. Fucking. Censorship. Ya done derped, Derpest. Get Rekt. We're not letting you off the Hook. :mob:

Go get'em, dude! :brodex:

Not sure if we had a best newfag of 2015 award, but I'd vote Eyestabber.

You can always wish me a happy newfag birthday (or you can just check dem big butts. Either way is fine :P):

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-registering-huh-bonus-nudity-inside.106299/

And where would he be without me, hm?

I've been posting crap others find funny long before you joined. :rpgcodex:

before it was shadowbanned in 10 minutes at 1 in the fucking morning:

Well then, It's a good thing you've found the one place where your criticism of Derpest WON'T be supressed in any way. You'll still get called names tho, so I hope you like "choices & consequences"™. :troll:

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
I've been playing the release version after having not played it since one of the earliest EA builds and I've got to say I don't understand the "they made it too grindy" complaints I was seeing recently. Maybe they drastically changed it within the last build? Otherwise... people are nuts.

Compared to my EA playthroughs, I'm having gold and resources thrown at me by the pile. It used to be that it was a constant struggle to even afford the basic rations and supplies for missions and you were doing well if you could just make a small profit every mission. Here you can bring along pretty much anything you want, make a huge profit, and even splurge on stuff like stress and quirk treatments, which were absolutely fucking impossible to touch back in the day.

Gord

Arcane
I've been playing the release version after having not played it since one of the earliest EA builds and I've got to say I don't understand the "they made it too grindy" complaints I was seeing recently. Maybe they drastically changed it within the last build? Otherwise... people are nuts.

I think the game was always grindy and not much has changed about that. It's just that many people only started to notice after they had played 30+ hours.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Not sure if we had a best newfag of 2015 award, but I'd vote Eyestabber. These (only two) Celerity threads would not be so much fun otherwise.

You need to be more ambitious, my friend. Don’t refrain yourself from your inner shitposter. This DD is shitty anyway, so let’s change the subject of this thread. I suggest the following categories:

Best comment of the year COTY

Most retarded comment of the year RCOTY

Best thread of the year TOTY

Most retarded thread of the year ROTY

Best review of the year BROTY

Worst review of the year WROTY

Best meme of the year MOTY

Worst meme of the year WMOTY

Best trolling of the year TROTY

Worst trolling of the year WTROTY

Worse shitposter of the year WSOTY

Best newfag of the year NOTY

Worst newfag of the year WNOTY

Most productive member of the year POTY

Less productive member of the year LOTY

Best walling-texter of the year WOTY

Worse walling-texter of the year WWOTY

Best moving poster of the year MOTY

Worse moving poster of the year WMOTY

Best drama of the year DROTY

Worse drama of the year WDROTY

Best developer of the year DOTY

Worse developer of the year WDOTY

Best member of the staff in the year SOTY

Worse member of the staff in the year WSOTY

Now, I know that this is complicated subject because you could suggest many sub-categories (for instance, retardoland comments should have their own election, and I can foresee a voting for the best weeaboo, SJW, tranny, etc.), and it’s arguable that some categories overlap (the worse shitposter of the year is also the less productive member, and the best drama of the year will end up being the best thread, I think?).

Now, the winner is…

images

I think that for best meme the winner will be something made by Zorba the Hutt. The best trolling attempt will go to either Bubbles or Roguey, obviously. Worse shitposter is a tough competition. I dunno. Best review was that one about Hard West. Worse review was the other one about Undertale. Best drama was Infinitron's attempt to censor delay Darth Roxor review about PoE, by far. Worse drama was Irenaeus II bicthing about tags. Best walling-texter is Azrael the cat. Worst walling-texter is Roqua. I have to think about the other categories.

Last edited:

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Despite Celerity's autism ("Rekt Hook"? Really? How old are you, 16?), abusing the flagging system to take down his review is a shit thing to do and on the basis of that alone, I wouldn't recommend a purchase until it all gets clarified and the review is reinstated.

Shame I already bought the game in EA last year. :negative:

As for my thoughts on the actual game from when I did play it, I liked it but once your heroes get past the level 3-4 barrier, it becomes extremely repetitive and grindy if you want to reach the endgame. The early game is great because there's a combination of tactics and strategy that feels meaningful. Party management within dungeons, party management out of dugeons and building up the town. But once you break through the middle part of progression, you are left wondering "is that it?". I put a surprising amount of time into it (~50 hours) and enjoyed most of it, so the money was well spent but I can also see where complaints about the game being shallow come from. There's not much of a genuine progression beyond the midgame, despite the light RPG elements. So once your parties become strong enough to be self-sustainable, it loses it's luster really quickly. It's part of why the whole "IT'S SO HARD, RNG XDDD" memeing about this game is so annoying and comes mostly from people who barely played the game. From what I played, the game is a pushover once your A-team is level 4.

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant

Compared to my EA playthroughs, I'm having gold and resources thrown at me by the pile. It used to be that it was a constant struggle to even afford the basic rations and supplies for missions and you were doing well if you could just make a small profit every mission. Here you can bring along pretty much anything you want, make a huge profit, and even splurge on stuff like stress and quirk treatments, which were absolutely fucking impossible to touch back in the day.

Totally agree....the issues I had with it months ago were simply that there was no gold to purchase more than a shovel, two bandages and two rations for an expedition, which led to surrendering, which led to even LESS money to buy stuff for the next one. You could barely even think about spending money on stress management, you were better off hiring new people from the caravan. Now you not only have the resources, but you don't have to backtrack the map to the exit either once the objective is complete.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seems Celerity's pal Jim Sterling is very much enjoying the game; he just did an hour video of him playing it. Seems the hand of justice which was going to bring Red Hook down by its wickedness and faggotry is quite happy with the game... Celerity buddy your crusade is almost over and the infidels have won
Perhaps the only thing left to do would be to commit ritual sepuku to preserve your honor

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Clearly Jim Sterling is a corrupt hack who was bought out by Red Hook, there's no other explanation for why he would ignore Celerity.

Celerity

AH, so the game is a generic bland and boring piece of shit? Just like Celerity said, then?

:bro:

Depending on thread you're either very supportive and agreeable or shitposting.

No. This is my last attempt at explaining this, so please do try to understand this time. There is a difference between myself and most people ITT and that is I ACTUALLY paid attention to the whole "Celerity vs DD" thing AND I don't really care about the game in any way. So not only I have no money invested on this, I'm also able to see that there are many MANY aspects to this whole drama instead of "who is right, Celerity or Red Hook!? DISCUSS!". I'm gonna use Codex smilies to demonstrate:

[The average Codex poster reaction to your stuff]
:whatho:

"Goodness gracious, that's preposterous! This troubled young man needs medical attention posthaste!"

Since I actually paid attention, I react different to every aspect of the story. Here:

[My reaction to the RL crimes commited against you]

:mob:(against RH)
:hug: (towards you. Nohomo, tho)

[My reaction to Red Hook's despicable censorship]

:fight: :mob:

[My reaction to DD being shit]

:hmmm: "Yet another cRPG that turns out to be shit? K."

[My reaction to you unironically stating that you don't see a difference between Fallout 1/2 and 3]

:notsureifserious:

[My reaction to your opinion on pretty much every other non DD related thread]
:abyssgazer:

Now see, that's much more clear. Thing is, given where I am coming from when I see erratic behavior I immediately assume the worst, you can understand that right? As for my posts about other shit, why that face? I already corrected the Fallout thing, so unless you're one of those Divinity is the best ever sorts what's the deal?

0nx52oz.png

If there are still any doubts about their vile corruption, let them be forever dispelled now. Blatant. Fucking. Censorship. Ya done derped, Derpest. Get Rekt. We're not letting you off the Hook. :mob:

Go get'em, dude! :brodex:

before it was shadowbanned in 10 minutes at 1 in the fucking morning:

Well then, It's a good thing you've found the one place where your criticism of Derpest WON'T be supressed in any way. You'll still get called names tho, so I hope you like "choices & consequences"™. :troll:

Indeed. Was kind of hoping for a large, get the word out there forum though, instead of one where people basically figured out the game without me and I'm just here so I can highlight the everything else.

Ok ok....

I suggest everyone to buy it just to spite Celerity AND Eyestabber.

*snip*
:martini:

Despite Celerity's autism ("Rekt Hook"? Really? How old are you, 16?), abusing the flagging system to take down his review is a shit thing to do and on the basis of that alone, I wouldn't recommend a purchase until it all gets clarified and the review is reinstated.

I have a facetious writing style and am very good at angering shills with no effort, thus deliberately including words like "rekt", "salt", "derpest" etc because when they get enraged they do my job for me. It's also clear and concise communication. Rekt Hook = Red Hook has failed, hard.

Seems Celerity's pal Jim Sterling is very much enjoying the game; he just did an hour video of him playing it. Seems the hand of justice which was going to bring Red Hook down by its wickedness and faggotry is quite happy with the game... Celerity buddy your crusade is almost over and the infidels have won
Perhaps the only thing left to do would be to commit ritual sepuku to preserve your honor

That is actually false. Unlike the shills, who immediately forgotten their serial hatred and death threats and think he is the best ever, and you who are doing the same just so you can be a troll I understand what actually happened here.

Jim did indeed do an hour of the Derpest Dungeon. His overall attitude was somewhere between ok and promising, with multiple skepticisms voiced. He acknowledged that I repeatedly contacted him and would investigate (something every shill ignores) but would not do so at this time. Shills read that as blind complete praise and talk about how my plan backfired and shit, meanwhile I just feed him more evidence of censorship when they do something new. You also assume Jim is the biggest card in my deck, which is a poor assessment given certain conversations I've had in the past 24 hours. Derpest Dungeon WILL be exposed, with or without him. But no one should count him out yet. It's also important we remember the game is video/review fodder and looks ok for about 5 hours. He has less than that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I have a dumbfuck writing style infused with retarded twitch memes that leaves anybody with a brain and more than 13 years behind them in a state of disgust and dismay.

There you go.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If you're actually putting faith in that landwhale cuck to actually follow up, you're wasting your time. Sterling is an unprincipled shitbag whose main talent is in aligning himself with communities or with developers when it's most advantageous to his brand in a way that looks genuine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom