Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

J.E Sawyer resigns, last day Nov. 21

Astromarine

Erudite
Romero seems to be doing fine with his company, and I for one am glad he managed to kill his pride and go back to his roots. Frankly, I'm surprised THIS crowd would be the one to deride him for doing simple, small games which are fun instead of Triple-A Megabux games with 7 years dev time and more cinematics time than gameplay. Guess some people here are not so adamant in their "gameplay before graphics" cries of righteous fury...

As for Warren Spector, true, Doom > Deus Ex, but OTOH Ultima Underworld > Doom. So there.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
which may have had a bad single-player, I don't know.
Some say it was a rehash of the first, who's single player I did not play. But I enjoyed it alot.
As for Warren Spector, true, Doom > Deus Ex, but OTOH Ultima Underworld > Doom. So there.
Doom created a genre and the modern modding community.
UU is the better game, but Doom is more important. Hence more of an emphasis on Doom's creators.

Araanor

Liturgist
Astromarine said:
Guess some people here are not so adamant in their "gameplay before graphics" cries of righteous fury...
It's easy to mock him, it's as simple as that.

Spazmo

Erudite
I bet John Romero, JE Sawyer and Eric Dallaire are gonna start a new company and make dating sims. Meanwhile, Tom Hall could maybe finish Anachronox, please?

Seven

Erudite
Astromarine said:
Romero seems to be doing fine with his company, and I for one am glad he managed to kill his pride and go back to his roots. Frankly, I'm surprised THIS crowd would be the one to deride him for doing simple, small games which are fun instead of Triple-A Megabux games with 7 years dev time and more cinematics time than gameplay. Guess some people here are not so adamant in their "gameplay before graphics" cries of righteous fury...

I never said anything about about putting gameplay before graphics. In fact, since forever I've been in support of having "pretty" graphics because I feel that gameplay alone doesn't cut it any more. That being said, I enjoy many games (Avernum series being most prominent) with shit graphics. It's an honest mistake to make of the RPG codex crowd, but BTW no one actually chastised Romero for making shit graphics games. HE'S MAKING PDA GAMES, that's a step down from the PC IMO. Also often times these games are simplified a-la minesweep rehashed. :wink:

ecliptic

Liturgist
Poor Tom Hall, Anachronox really was a great game that got shafted on so many fronts.

aleph

Arcane
You're right, he's got a real shitty record with IWD and IWD 2. Im sure though it's possible that people might look past that and realize that there may have been extenuating circumstances as he keeps telling us (higher up interference). He obviously has some creative ideas, as we saw through his posts on the IPLY forums regarding FO3.

:balance:

Nothing more to add to this I guess...

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Out of curiosity, how does one even find a thirteen year old thread, let alone decide to necro it?

Grimlorn

Arcane
This is a good necro. Look at all the Fallout franchise is doomed posts. Thank goodness Bethesda saved it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
13 years from now, people will necro the David Gaider quitting bioware thread, and will say that it's at this moment in history that things went to shit.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I bet Roguey's heart skips a beat every time this thread is necroed. We need to keep doing so.

Wow. For a moment there I thought MCA, Gaider and Sawyer were all free agents at the same time. They could form their own company and piss off the Codex by calling it Troika:)

Actually wouldn't be a bad combination, apart from the potential from serious clashing over who is in charge on a project. Sawyer doing systems and project management, MCA writing and quest design, Gaider on design, quest design, area design and a clause in the company constitution preventing him from contributing to any writing whatsoever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom