Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official Final Fantasy thread.

Chefe

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Seriously, the chicks in FFX are retarded how fan-serviceable they were obviously meant to be. I'm trying to come up with a word that describes it, but the chick characters seem designed by lonely teenage boys.

Pubescenteroticafantasy?

FFVIII, FFX and FFXII are the worst things to happen to Final Fantasy. They throw out unique character designs and cool plots and replace them with absolute shit.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I really like FFX's battle system (and especially the weapon system) and the purty graphics, but there is too much dialogue and too many unskippable 10 minute cutscenes. I just got past an unskippable cutscene where Tidus and Yuna make out underwater.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Zappa said:
Relayer71 said:
I don't get why gamers buy this expecting the Next Coming or gaming nirvana.
If you like old school JRPGs, particularly the FF ones (FFI-FFVI) you'll like the FF3 remake.

The problem is you pay high price (for the DS) for a game that's not that good. You're essentially paying for the updated graphics. No one expects gaming nirvana, but hell if you're going to update a game that's incredibly shallow, then fucking update it! If you're only going to give it "gud graphix" then charge $20 for it. Charging $40 for it is putting it on the same level as the best games.

Ok, if you were to charge a price based on the quality of the game then plenty of NEW releases would only be $5 or $10 and a few releases would actually be free with a $200 rebate.

This wasn't simply a port - I can understand charging less for a port. But there was a lot of work involved in making a whole new graphic engine and recreating the game from scratch which is what this is.

Is it the greatest JRPG ever? Nope, not even close. But it's still a decent RPG with a good 15 - 20 hour length. Most portable games don't even have THAT longevity. Not only that but DS owners were starved for RPGs when FF3 came out.

Wouldn't you pay full price ($49.99) for a "remake" of Arcanum with a better graphics engine, improved battle system and UI and bug free?. It doesn't have to be 3D either, just something that allows for smoother gameplay and looks a little more modern. That game looked OLD back when it came out.

To give another example, imagine you were out looking for a prostitute (which may not be a stretch for you). You come across two prostitutes. One looks like Bea Arthur and has herpes. The other looks like Tera Patrick and is completely clean. Both cost $1000 a night. Obviously, there is an imbalance here.

Nope, happily married and wife rocks in bed. And that's a very stupid example, lol. Now if you had said one IS Terra Patrick at 90 and the other is a genetic remake you'd have something.

Very cool FFIV poster, nice!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Zappa said:
kingcomrade said:
Seriously, the chicks in FFX are retarded how fan-serviceable they were obviously meant to be. I'm trying to come up with a word that describes it, but the chick characters seem designed by lonely teenage boys.

Pubescenteroticafantasy?

FFVIII, FFX and FFXII are the worst things to happen to Final Fantasy. They throw out unique character designs and cool plots and replace them with absolute shit.

Well, I find myself agreeing. I kinda like the story of FFVIII if you apply the Rinoa=Ultimecia theory (which you might consider retarded, I don't), but that's about it. It was very tedious to play. IX was like a fresh breath of air, I really enjoyed it, but that isn't surprising.

But X and XII - now those are hideous, absolutely horrible. X is full of horrible, horrible cutscenes you can't skip (sometimes right after a save point) and Yuna and Tidus got on my nerves horribly. And I only watched XII being played, not having played it myself, but it looked like the ultimate in boredom. And that Vaan looks as annoying as that Tidus brat.

About the fan service... I don't know. The game also has a -LOT- fanservice to girls. An extreme amount actually. Consider the beautiful (by Japanese standards) boys, the sprinkles of romance, the love songs...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What's worst about FFX, and what made me quit playing it the first time, was that they have a ridiculously hard boss battle against Mecha Seymour right after a 5 minute cutscene. It takes place in an area that gives you shit for experience, too. It took me four tries but I beat it by just spamming Overdriven summons and Overdrives.
And that Vaan looks as annoying as that Tidus brat.
He's actually not that bad. Nowhere near as bad as Tidus.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It gets worse, in Zanarkand there is a boss battle against princess Yunalesca that takes place after a cutscene that is three times as long as the one you mean, and that is impossible to skip.

Add to this the fact that it is a pretty hard and very long boss battle that has three distinct phases and you are in for a world of pain.

Chefe

Erudite
I quit playing FFX before beating it because of this nonsense.

And no world map. I loves my world maps.

Lurkar

Scholar
I had one big problem with FFX's battle system, but it's similer to my problem with most jRPGs. Some characters are flat out worthless. You never, ever fucking use Riku except at the very start of a boss fight to steal an item then get her the fuck out of there. Lulu's magic was shit - it did the same damage as normal attacks, only it cost MP. Quite frankly, the entire game could've just revolved around Auron walking around slaughtering everything that wasn't a floating wind chime or dog.

Chefe

Erudite
Rikku was the best (hottest) character. She should have been a mainstay on your team.

Final-Fantasy-X2-Rikku-2_WE.jpg

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Lulu's magic was shit
No, Lulu is good. She needs to be used against enemies who have elemental weaknesses. I think you were just using her wrong, she does like 2x the damage of the rest of my characters. The whole point of the FFX swap system is that you could use which tools you needed when you needed them.
Quite frankly, the entire game could've just revolved around Auron walking around slaughtering everything that wasn't a floating wind chime or dog.
Wakka is the most powerful physical attacker, for me.

Rikku, on the other hand, is only good for instagibbing robots.

Rikku is not hot. Rikku is a shitty video game character created by retarded Japs who watch too much anime.

Chefe

Erudite
Rikku is hot. Really hot. Rikku is a video game character created to spice up hentai.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Jasede said:
I kinda like the story of FFVIII if you apply the Rinoa=Ultimecia theory (which you might consider retarded, I don't)
I'd say "FUCK YOU", were it not for your awesome Dark Omen thread.

Now, what I actually wanted to say was that, if I remember correctly, the developers themselves confirmed that the Rinoa=Ultimecia theory was in fact false.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yes, well, they didn't. Some guy on some site claimed to have telephoned to Square where they told him it was wrong. I don't believe him, he didn't prove that.

There's just too much symbolisim going on in the videos or in her name in German/European versions- Artemisia. If you know anything about Greek mythology that's enough to prove the theory, that name alone.

But this is a stupid thing to argue about, but I still like doing it because if this weren't true - and I am not saying it is, I just believe it is - then FF8 would have very, very little going for it indeed. Nothing, actually. Apart from, of course, Volourn.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I just got past that fight you were talking about. Took me two tries. However, both Yuna and Lulu have Double Cast and Flare so I just whomped on her for her first two forms then unloaded. I didn't even get a chance to summon my Aeons. Hard fight though...

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i thought the basic premise of FF8 is that a bunch of kids in the same orphanage goes seperate ways, all of them suffer amnesia after using 'Guardian Force' when they were young and then reunites at a military academy. Together, they fight an evil witch that keeps re-appearing every few decades.

psycojester

Arbiter
Unless you've got a hard-on for the FF series, then its a deep and introspective exploration of something or other.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You don't need to grind in FF 4, not even in FF 4 hardmode, as long as you never flee.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Jasede said:
You don't need to grind in FF 4, not even in FF 4 hardmode, as long as you never flee.

Yep, I think that's why FF4 is my favorite. Played the GBA version recently and the battles were fun, not too long/boring, not too easy or so frustratingly difficult you need to grind.

Story was good too, looking forward to the remake.

What they should remake is FFVI and perhaps VII.
I'm sure they could do VII on the DS, sans some video.

VII wasn't a favorite but it's been a while, would be nice to play a portable version of it.

Chefe

Erudite
Blacklung said:
That FFIV picture was F'ing awesome times 10. Sadly, I'm already well aware of the chibi looking 3d characters for the remake and the game got fairly boring later in thanks to the grind.

Are you sure you're talking about FFIV? The one with Cecil?

Relayer71 said:
What they should remake is FFVI and perhaps VII.
I'm sure they could do VII on the DS, sans some video.

VII wasn't a favorite but it's been a while, would be nice to play a portable version of it.

A remake of FFVI is a given.

A DS remake of VII would probably signal the end of the world, since everyone wants Square to remake it on the PS3/XBOX360 looking like it did in that PS3 tech demo.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I just realized (a chilling realization) that Squall and Rinoa count as a Terminator Killteam. They board a derelict space hulk and cleanse it of xeno infestation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom