Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with a stark, bizarre atmosphere

Riskbreaker

I was actually planning to mention this one in teh Lost & Forgotten thread. As far as the visuals and atmosphere go, think of side-scroller equivalent of Souls and KF games.

(also, curious that certain game from whence my nickname originated wasn't mentioned yet)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
X-com Apocalypse. It's such a strange future. The aliens won and destroyed basically everything on earth, and the only thing we have left is one big city named Mega-Primus. The atmosphere is fantastic, but bizarre. People live totally sheltered lives (if you are rich). You never go outside, except for driving or flying, or go through people tubes. The government is controlling everything for the normal citizen. Multiple factions are at war with each other, and there are even alien-human spawns that you can recruit. The setting reminds me of Logan's Run.

Glad SMT:Nocturne was mentioned, that game is just...off a little. I'm in the middle of playing it, fantastically bizarre atmosphere.

Deadly Premonition is great too, more than just a "scary" game, but everything is just slightly different, great Twin Peaks feel.

vean

Scholar
Total Annihilation
Betrayer
Perimeter
Frozen Synapse
Capsized
Unreal World
Unreal Tournament

Axe Father

Savant
The original Postal isn't a good game, but it fostered an incredibly eerie atmosphere with its music and loading screens. Just go through the soundtrack on YouTube if you're curious, the game isn't worth playing for that alone.

Gentle Player

Arcane
Unreal 1 and Quake 1 single player. Perhaps even Hexen and Hexen II.

I also want to second Abe's Oddysee as something perhaps less obvious, but it definitely fits.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

I was actually planning to mention this one in teh Lost & Forgotten thread. As far as the visuals and atmosphere go, think of side-scroller equivalent of Souls and KF games.

(also, curious that certain game from whence my nickname originated wasn't mentioned yet)

The art is looks great, but those sound effects, :eek: damn that's the worst sound I've heard in an amiga game.

Since we're talking Amiga, here is my contribution, for an atmospheric sidescroller with a truly great soundtrack:

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The City of Lost Children
36682-City_of_Lost_Children_[U]-2.jpg

Digital Devil Saga (do like the bizarre, post-apoc feel the game has, and how even the characters seem to acknowledge how it makes nearly no sense)

It's moar like Matrix done right.

Almost every MegaTen should be mentioned here.

Drakendgard 1 - at first it looks like generic dark fantasy but then becomes so fucking morbid I don't even...

Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport
Pray For Daeth

Riskbreaker

The art is looks great, but those sound effects, :eek: damn that's the worst sound I've heard in an amiga game.
Eh, I originally played the game on PC, and that version had very basic and repetitive sound effects in addition to being completely devoid of ambient sounds.

Anyway, game's art and atmosphere are indeed great, they could carry the game by themselves.
It had some pretty neat touches too: for example, take a look at the moon in the upper left corner - it effectively serves as your health bar.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Castlevania IV - the only installment in the series with a gloomy, medieval atmosphere.

Xenogears - PS:T of jRPGs.

Chrono Cross - very different from Chrono Trigger; colorful, yet dark and somber.

Axe Father

Savant
Another game that comes to mind is Sentinel Returns. Very elaborate dreamlike visuals combined with a haunting soundtrack composed by John Carpenter. Yes, the film director.

(Game is also on PC but this is the best gameplay vid I could find, so it's PS1 footage)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Darkmere
darkmere.png
Primordia
primordia_train.png
Hired Guns
Hired_Guns-2.png
Amerzone
valembois.jpg

giraffes.jpg
Moonstone

Super metroid
super_metroid_screen.png
Legend of Faerghail
LoF_Temple9.png
Drakkhen
spot_g10-drakkhen.gif
Serpent in the Staglands
serpentinthestaglands.png
Koudelka
koudelka-116.jpg
Breath of Fire : Dragon Quarter
breath-of-fire-dragon-quarter.1932581.jpg
Ishar
Ishar-2.png
Halfway
halfway_010a02.png
Darkest Dungeon
galerie-darkest-dungeon_20.jpg

EDIT :
Dark Sun : Shattered Lands
advanced_dungeons___dragons_2nd_edition__dark_sun__shattered_lands_screen_4.jpg
Legacy of Sorasil
sorasil4.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom