Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Switching to full-time game development is a pretty big step. Good luck, and looking forward to your next game.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hey Pyke, looking forward to seeing a screenshot of the new maps!

Speaking of maps, is this area supposed to look untextured? I get that there are bright lights on it.. but it looks like geometry with no texture.

OKzQbG7.jpg

When I was doing that level I was looking at a lot of the older Star Wars miniature models, where they did these incredibly complex shapes and drybrushed graphite over them to get dirt into the crevices. It works really well in miniatures and was trying to get something similar with the game. I thought it was kinda successful..but perhaps not? :D

The art style is great, but the graphics are not!!

BURN HEATHEN! :D TO be honest I havent played Sanitarium in YEARS - so you may be completely correct. Let me live in my nostalgia bubble!

Switching to full-time game development is a pretty big step. Good luck, and looking forward to your next game.

Its a huge thing for us, but we are keeping ourselves small, lowering all of our costs (one of the reasons to move), and being quite tight with out planning. If anything, its gonna be interesting. :D

There is another release of Stasis coming up soon with a Turkish translation added. Which is good if you are Turkish.

Woot, I'll be your PR incarnate here then!

They are just polishing up some of the lines that were missed out - but the testers seemed pretty happy with everything so far!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
http://thebrotherhoodgames.com/blog/2016/01/and-when-the-dust-settles/

cayne1-750x410.png

…AND WHEN THE DUST SETTLES…

We did it. We released a game! STASIS hit the digital shelves in late 2015. The culmination of thousands of hours, sleepless nights, copious amounts of coffee, and more than a few good old emotional breakdowns. After its release, it felt like a weight was lifted from one of my shoulders and then promptly shifted onto the other!

Patches, user support, interviews, marketing, and then more patches – in a way it felt when the game was complete the real work could start. And start it did! Nic and Kristal did masterful jobs at keeping everything afloat while I attempted some sort of emotional recovery from the 2 years of crunch time I’d just gone through.

I’ve heard people say ‘never read internet comments‘ and I ignored them. I can tell you that I obsessively googled STASIS for weeks after the launch and still find myself doing searches now. It’s hard not to.

We made STASIS for people to play and for people to enjoy. To publish it and then move onto something else instantly just seemed so…heartless. Thankfully, players loved it.

The feedback we got was excellent and I took it all in, both good and bad. I’ve read every Steam comment, thousands of forum replies, and hundreds of reviews. I’ve watched a lot of YouTube Let’s Plays and Twitch steams (even those in languages I don’t understand). I’ve consumed the feedback from STASIS like a dying man who finds an oasis, and it’s been thirst-quenching, even with the occasional mouthful of dirt.

STASIS is a game that we’re incredibly proud of. I personally grew more as an artist in the last 2 years of solid development, than I have in the previous 10 years of doing it professionally. And after all of that, what did we decide to do? Yep, we decided to do it all again.

The Brotherhood is now running as a full time development studio. We can officially call ourselves game developers with a straight face and an enormous sense of pride! We asked ourselves, “where to from here?” as we’d already completed much of the graphic content for the Cayne chapter so that was the most logical thing to tackle… but we aren’t people who take the easy route for anything. So we made the difficult decision to build Cayne from the ground up, and apply all of the lessons we’d learned from STASIS to create the best experience we can.

While STASIS provided a foundation for our future projects, Cayne will most certainly be providing the brick and mortar. We’re going to use Cayne to test out new ideas, technologies, and a new workflow that has both Nic and I working full time.

Our future games will be created around this core, and what we have coming up is going to astound, disgust, and amaze you.

WHAT ARE WE DOING DIFFERENTLY?

STASIS started off as a hobby project, and during production much time was spent trying to get things working. While I wouldn’t consider this time wasted (I discovered a lot of ways how NOT to do things), we’re going into this new chapter with a better knowledge of how our future games need to be put together.

The interface, for example, appears simple, but it took countless iterations to get the workings and feel we wanted. We can now take that R&D time and funnel it into other aspects.

While the 2D characters in STASIS were wonderful, we want our next games to use a 2.5D system with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D characters. This allows us to have smooth transition animations and an unlimited number of directions for the character. More importantly, it eliminates a step that was needed when getting the characters into the game.

In STASIS, I needed to animate everything, render it out, set it up in a scene, tweak it, re-adjust if necessary, re-render, tweak… This process took an enormous amount of time with the results sometimes being less than satisfactory. By using 3D characters that are rigged with bones, I can animate and import them directly into the game and see what adjustments need to be made.

I can’t explain how satisfying it is to see something in-engine a few seconds after I’ve finished the animation. Less time spent with the technicalities of importing into the engine means more time spent on getting the movement and animation flawless.

Lighting was a challenge in STASIS because it required more planning for even the most basic ‘special’ lighting. A scene had to be constructed in After Effects before it got added into the engine which allowed for almost no iterative design adjustment when it was in. How it came out in render was how it looked in the game.

In Cayne, we’re using Normal Maps and other techniques to get more dynamic lighting. Shader systems allow us to tint the scenes and adjust the mood of the rooms in real time, again allowing a more fluid nature to the games creation. Seeing adjustments to the game as you play it is both satisfying and helpful from a design standpoint. ‘The freedom to experiment’ is SO important in art, and using new systems allows us flexibility, especially where we can overlap the technical expertise with the artistic vision.

I want to push the design of Cayne into new directions. Cayne will portray more of Nic and my personal game styles – in all aspects, from the story to characters and environments. We want to bring in something slightly different to STASIS universe to challenge ourselves. But Cayne is set in the same universe, so we aren’t going to stray too far from our 80s roots.

The work we’re doing will hopefully blow your minds, because the passion is palpable and the excitement we have for the future is tangible. It’s going to be a wild ride.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
That is full res. We are going full retro!

I kid...the game will be at 1920 x 1080. :D We will release some screens as we go along. :)

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Haven't played a PnC games in years. In fact, since the 90s. Also, Pillars of Eternity broke me last year and haven't played a game since May 2015. I've been a broken shell of a man. As a gamer for the last 30+ years, I never thought I would see myself not playing games. And I've been trying for the last couple of weeks to play some old pc games that I've enjoyed over the years, only to give up after 5-10 minutes, and go off and doing something else unrelated. To reignite the fire that Pillars extinguished and it wasn't working.

Decided to hit this game yesterday. I was hooked and finished it today. This is the game that's cured me.

Engaging story, good puzzles that had me stumped at times, amazing graphics (especially with stuff like the surgery), some twists and turns in my play through that I didn't expect, and that ending. I didn't see that coming. I can't believe this game was made with the budget and number of people involved. Amazing detail and quality.

Also, I have to say a big thank you to the dev's and the great stuff I received in the mail. Awesome signed game, t-shirt, print, resin model. Well done. :salute:

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
I'm ashamed to say, I didn't follow any of the KS updates or this thread at all. I'm up to page 35 and I've missed a lot of stuff. There's so much artwork and wallpapers.

Pyke do you have a secret folder on your site where we can drool over your art portfolio with your designs and artwork. Especially artwork for other games.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Wow Metal - that's mighty high praise! Thank you so much for A) Backing Stasis, and B) Playing and enjoying it!

I used to have an extensive portfolio online - but never really maintained it! I do want to put the old 'labs' page back up (with the art for other games) when I get a chance, and hopefully be able to update it with some stuff I've had the pleasure of working on that's currently NDA'd.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow Metal - that's mighty high praise! Thank you so much for A) Backing Stasis, and B) Playing and enjoying it!

I used to have an extensive portfolio online - but never really maintained it! I do want to put the old 'labs' page back up (with the art for other games) when I get a chance, and hopefully be able to update it with some stuff I've had the pleasure of working on that's currently NDA'd.
Pyke bro, do you have plans to get back to that post-apoc exploration game one day?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke bro, do you have plans to get back to that post-apoc exploration game one day?

I love post apocalyptic stuff. Its the only other genre I love as much as SciFi horror - so its more than likely that that's the general direction Ill head in the future - although probably keeping closer to a more traditional adventure game until we have enough experience to branch out into other (or at least mixed) genres.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
What about a post-apocalyptic horror game with sci-fi elements? :M

I wouldn't mind a game similar to John Carpenter's The Thing. Never knowing who is the enemy. That was a great movie. Another great movie was In the Mouth of Madness. Carpenter's last great movie.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This new Kickstarter update is a repeat of the above blog post, but with new screenshots: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ric-scifi-horror-adventure-game/posts/1415652

STASIS 2016 - Rewards & CAYNE

Hey Kickstarter backers!

We have some awesome news: shipwire.com has confirmed that they have started shipping out the backer rewards to you good folks. You should receive an email once it has been dispatched from the warehouse.

We did it. We released a game! STASIS hit the digital shelves in late 2015. The culmination of thousands of hours, sleepless nights, copious amounts of coffee, and more than a few good old emotional breakdowns. After its release, it felt like a weight was lifted from one of my shoulders and then promptly shifted onto the other!

Patches, user support, interviews, marketing, and then more patches – in a way it felt when the game was complete the real work could start. And start it did! Nic and Kristal did masterful jobs at keeping everything afloat while I attempted some sort of emotional recovery from the 2 years of crunch time I’d just gone through.

I’ve heard people say ‘never read internet comments‘ and I ignored them. I can tell you that I obsessively googled STASIS for weeks after the launch and still find myself doing searches now. It’s hard not to.

We made STASIS for people to play and for people to enjoy. To publish it and then move onto something else instantly just seemed so…heartless. Thankfully, players loved it.

The feedback we got was excellent and I took it all in, both good and bad. I’ve read every Steam comment, thousands of forum replies, and hundreds of reviews. I’ve watched a lot of YouTube Let’s Plays and Twitch steams (even those in languages I don’t understand). I’ve consumed the feedback from STASIS like a dying man who finds an oasis, and it’s been thirst-quenching, even with the occasional mouthful of dirt.

STASIS is a game that we’re incredibly proud of. I personally grew more as an artist in the last 2 years of solid development, than I have in the previous 10 years of doing it professionally. And after all of that, what did we decide to do? Yep, we decided to do it all again.

2734ebbeb976a9f32629ce2d04b08736_original.png

CAYNE pushing STASIS graphics to HD and beyond.

LINK TO HIGH RES SCREENSHOT: http://www.stasisgame.com/public/CAYNE/screenshot1.png

The Brotherhood is now running as a full time development studio. We can officially call ourselves game developers with a straight face and an enormous sense of pride! We asked ourselves, “where to from here?” as we’d already completed much of the graphic content for the Cayne chapter so that was the most logical thing to tackle… but we aren’t people who take the easy route for anything. So we made the difficult decision to build Cayne from the ground up, and apply all of the lessons we’d learned from STASIS to create the best experience we can.

While STASIS provided a foundation for our future projects, Cayne will most certainly be providing the brick and mortar. We’re going to use Cayne to test out new ideas, technologies, and a new workflow that has both Nic and I working full time.

Our future games will be created around this core, and what we have coming up is going to astound, disgust, and amaze you.

75b8aed39e06a990bac5f279083c2406_original.png

The new PDA screen.

LINK TO HIGH RES SCREENSHOT:
http://www.stasisgame.com/public/CAYNE/pda.png

WHAT ARE WE DOING DIFFERENTLY?

STASIS started off as a hobby project, and during production much time was spent trying to get things working. While I wouldn’t consider this time wasted (I discovered a lot of ways how NOT to do things), we’re going into this new chapter with a better knowledge of how our future games need to be put together.

The interface, for example, appears simple, but it took countless iterations to get the workings and feel we wanted. We can now take that R&D time and funnel it into other aspects.

While the 2D characters in STASIS were wonderful, we want our next games to use a 2.5D system with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D characters. This allows us to have smooth transition animations and an unlimited number of directions for the character. More importantly, it eliminates a step that was needed when getting the characters into the game.

eebd94bfa085fe7aac93b5d52c79ee32_original.png

A very pregnant HADLEY - she will be 3D while the scenes will be rendered in 2D.

In STASIS, I needed to animate everything, render it out, set it up in a scene, tweak it, re-adjust if necessary, re-render, tweak… This process took an enormous amount of time with the results sometimes being less than satisfactory. By using 3D characters that are rigged with bones, I can animate and import them directly into the game and see what adjustments need to be made.

I can’t explain how satisfying it is to see something in-engine a few seconds after I’ve finished the animation. Less time spent with the technicalities of importing into the engine means more time spent on getting the movement and animation flawless.

Lighting was a challenge in STASIS because it required more planning for even the most basic ‘special’ lighting. A scene had to be constructed in After Effects before it got added into the engine which allowed for almost no iterative design adjustment when it was in. How it came out in render was how it looked in the game.

In CAYNE, we’re using Normal Maps and other techniques to get more dynamic lighting. Shader systems allow us to tint the scenes and adjust the mood of the rooms in real time, again allowing a more fluid nature to the games creation. Seeing adjustments to the game as you play it is both satisfying and helpful from a design standpoint. ‘The freedom to experiment’ is SO important in art, and using new systems allows us flexibility, especially where we can overlap the technical expertise with the artistic vision.

I want to push the design of CAYNE into new directions. CAYNE will portray more of Nic and my personal game styles – in all aspects, from the story to characters and environments. We want to bring in something slightly different to STASIS universe to challenge ourselves. But CAYNE is set in the same universe, so we aren’t going to stray too far from our 80s roots.

The work we’re doing will hopefully blow your minds, because the passion is palpable and the excitement we have for the future is tangible. It’s going to be a wild ride!

Oh, did we mention that the Kickstarter backers of STASIS get the CAYNE chapter for free?

If you want to follow development, head over to our blog: http://thebrotherhoodgames.com/blog/

Follow me on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/StasisGame

-CHRIS

likaq

Arcane
we want our next games to use a 2.5D system with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D characters

eebd94bfa085fe7aac93b5d52c79ee32_original.png

Massive butthurt is coming. Codex will eat you alive Pyke.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
3D characters are MUCH easier to work with. I love 2D - but it really isn't the most practical thing. But she behaves in exactly the same way as a 2D sprite, except the motion is much more fluid (because she actually has bones that blend), and we can have higher resolution backgrounds because we aren't dumping memory into thousands of frames of animation at run-time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom