Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider has joined Beamdog as Creative Director

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Amber Scott; Beamdog; Brent Knowles; David Gaider

Beamdog published a post on their official blog yesterday announcing some notable individuals that they've hired over the past year or so. They include various ex-Bioware developers, including former Baldur's Gate 2 designer and Dragon Age: Origins lead designer Brent Knowles, who we interviewed last year (that last question looks a bit prophetic now). Here's the post:

Greetings! Today's post is all about achievements. First, in the literal sense, we're in the process of testing our Steam achievement system. You might see achievements for our games on Steam but be unable to access them. That's because we're still internally testing the achievements to make sure they're fully functional when they go live in the next update. We'll post again here when that happens.

Second, in the metaphorical sense, we'd like to celebrate our achievements in some recent hiring and promotions. I say “recent” but in truth some of the employees mentioned here were hired over a year ago. We've been so focused on our work that we've neglected to celebrate them properly (and there's a lot to celebrate, as there's triple-A talent here). The time to rectify that oversight is NOW.

In September 2015 we added Brent Knowles to the Beamdog team as a designer. Brent has worked for many years on titles familiar to us, including Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights. (His first project was BG2, so in a way coming to Beamdog is like coming full circle). We're happy to have him on the team.

Shawn Potter has also joined us temporarily as a contract programmer. Shawn previously worked as lead gameplay programmer for Mass Effect 3 and senior programmer for Mass Effect 1 and 2. We're excited to make use of his l33t programming skills (or should that be skillz? I'm never sure what the kids are saying these days. They're still saying l33t, though, right?)

Beambard Amber Scott received a promotion to Publishing and Marketing Coordinator. That's right, she successfully finagled a raise out of goofing off on social media. Amber will be responsible for coordinating convention appearances, managing press releases and blog updates, and running events like the fun live stream we did last week.

Thea Kent joined us several months ago as an illustrator and immediately made herself invaluable. You might have seen her work in Dragon+ magazine recently—she did the character art for Glint Gardnersonson.

In November, um, 2014, Jason Knipe came on board (sorry for the late accolades, Jason). He was the lead graphics programmer on Knights of the Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights, and now works for us as a graphics programmer and a fighter-tank in our D&D games.

Finally, Tom Rhodes has taken the reins as art director as of this month. Tom worked on all three Dragon Age games as concept artist, and he quickly made his mark here drawing an awesome picture of a high-speed unicorn chase. Note: do not attempt high-speed unicorn chases at home.

We also hired a writer named Dave. He seems pretty cool so far.
Wait a minute - Dave? Could that be...

Wow. What do you have planned, Beamdog? It's too late for these people to be involved in any significant way with Siege of Dragonspear, after all. Has Trent Oster embarked on a madcap scheme to recreate BioWare circa ~2000? And can he succeed? I guess we'll find out this year.

UPDATE: The news about Gaider is official now. He's joined as the company's Creative Director. It's a new era for Beamdog.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow. What do you have planned, Beamdog? It's too late for these people to be involved in any significant way with Siege of Dragonspear, after all.
Is it not obvious by now that they have plans for Baldur's Gate 3? I wonder if word about this has reached Dave through MCA.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow. What do you have planned, Beamdog? It's too late for these people to be involved in any significant way with Siege of Dragonspear, after all.
Is it not obvious by now that they have plans for Baldur's Gate 3? I wonder if word about this has reached Dave through MCA.

They have plans for something. "Adventure Z": http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9719

EDIT: Or not http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-and-a-writer-named-dave.106857/#post-4373644

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
From what I remember they said this expansion (previously called Adventure Y) is supposed the be last IE engine game and after that they would switch to something full 3d.

I would love to see a new BG game in PoE engine modified to use D&D 5e ruleset.

Gremius

Augur
I would love to see a new BG game in PoE engine modified to use D&D 5e ruleset.
Yeah, rather that we will get probably another popamole game. I doubt they aim higher.

Weasel
Tom worked on all three Dragon Age games as concept artist, and he quickly made his mark here drawing an awesome picture of a high-speed unicorn chase. Note: do not attempt high-speed unicorn chases at home.

Sounds good, that sort of concept art is big right now

:dgaider:

Archibald

Arcane
From what I remember they said this expansion (previously called Adventure Y) is supposed the be last IE engine game and after that they would switch to something full 3d.

Another gay sex simulator incoming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't remember anything about going full 3D.

But it looks like Adventure Z won't happen: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...r-previously-known-as-the-adventure-y-project
Adventure Z update

1. The Adventure X, Y, Z designation was an in-office term used primarily as a way to keep projects in order. After BGEE, BG2EE was Adventure X, the Siege of Dragonspear expansion was Adventure Y, and then there was Adventure Z, which was completely unrelated to the Forgotten Realms. The idea was to push into Free To Play, but a few months back it became clear that space was already pretty full and the decision was made to focus on the Beamdog's core strengths, which is RPGs, with the obvious immediate focus being on the Forgotten Realms and Siege.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/655153/#Comment_655153

2. *Trap was shelved

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/655165/#Comment_655165

3. Sharktrap wasn't a D&D related game, it was more of a 3D action puzzler.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/655235/#Comment_655235

ArchAngel

Arcane
I guess that 3d was about that sharktrap thing.
Probably good news.

Sothpaw

Learned
God damn it I was hoping he would go write comics or something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Actually happy for ANYONE to get away from the soul crushing despair of EA (And BioWare died a LONG time ago). Hopefully he will get to work on some area design. :salute:

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
I hope David Gaydar gets AIDS and dies from toxoplasmosis being unable to pay for Daraprim.

mx6jil.gif

97hJJcr.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Cat's out of the bag: http://blog.beamdog.com/2016/02/beamdog-welcomes-david-gaider.html

Beamdog Welcomes David Gaider

We're very pleased to welcome David Gaider to the company as our new creative director. Originally we advertised for the position of senior writer, but when David contacted Trent about the position, we upgraded the role.

David is well known for his design and writing work on Baldur’s Gate 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Dragon Age: Origins. He brings 17 years of experience to our little team and we couldn't be happier to work with him. David will lead the writing team and direct new creative endeavors for the company.

Welcome, David!

Necdilzor

Barely Literate
I'd like to know what exciting new project they could be working on!

Haven't bothered with any of Beamdog's output thus far, but their next project may change that. Personally, I'd rather something original than a sequel to a finished franchise, but I doubt they're going to stop flogging that dead horse any time soon, as their name recognition probably wouldn't be enough to raise an original IP (or original franchise set somewhere else in Faerun) out of the Steam new releases mire of recognition.

It will be interesting to see whether Gaider manages to put out something worthwhile without the EA scythe hanging over his neck constantly. (And yes, it's rather un-Codexian of me, but the old BioWare titles passed the muster in my analysis) He's been credited with being behind the better elements of the Dragon Age stuff, though non-cringeworthy elements of that setting become more rare with each outing. Whatever his first project with Beamdog, it should show whether Gaider's completely lost the spark or was being corrupted by EA BioWare's persistent decline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/09/b...enhanced-edition-studio-as-creative-director/

If I had to name the greatest achievement of writing in human history, I would say that honor should go to the person responsible for the character HK-47 in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I think developer Beamdog might agree with that.

The studio announced this morning that it has hired writer and game designer David Gaider as its new creative director. Beamdog is responsible for the recent Enhanced Edition versions of Baldur’s Gate, Baldur’s Gate II, and Icewind Dale. The developer is working on Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear now, and Gaider is one of the people uniquely qualified to ensure that a sequel to that classic PC gaming franchise has a strong chance to remain authentic to its predecessors. We are in something of a renaissance period for PC-style role-playing games like Baldur’s Gate. Industry veterans like Brian Fargo — developer of Fallout — has spearheaded to bring back beloved franchises like Torment andWasteland with megasuccessful, multimillion dollar crowdfunding campaigns.

Now with Gaider, Beamdog is in a position where it can say to fans of Baldur’s Gate that it has a person central to the success of Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights games. The studio is so aware of Gaider’s importance that it actually gave him a promotion before he even started.

“Dave asked me about the writer job we had advertised,” Beamdog chief executive officer Trent Oster told GamesBeat. “We had a coffee. We upgraded the role to Creative Director to match his skills.”

Oster had worked directly with Gaider previously on the Hordes of the Underdark expansion for Neverwinter Nights, and it was that first-hand experience that convinced Oster and Beamdog that Gaider was the right person for the job.

“I had a huge level of respect for his writing and his ability to create interesting and engaging characters,” said the executive. “This really helps accelerate my plans for world RPG domination.”

And Gaider’s history in the industry is one that would impress most gamers. In addition to the Baldur’s Gate games, he has worked as a writer and designer on beloved RPG releases like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age: Origins, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. For Gaider, teaming up with Beamdog is an opportunity to return to his roots.

“I recall my days working on Baldur’s Gate II and the Throne of Bhaal expansion very fondly,” Gaider said in a canned statement. “Thus, when the opportunity arose to become creative director for a company which lives and breathes that style of gaming, how could I refuse? Not that it was an easy decision to leave BioWare behind, as it truly was not, but Beamdog has exciting plans and I’m thrilled to now be a part of them.”

This is a big move for Gaider, who leaves one of the biggest publishers in the world to join what amounts to a small upstart outfit. But he is clearly passionate about the genre, and that was likely what drove his decision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom