Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider has joined Beamdog as Creative Director

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Codex is ridiculous, suddenly Gaider is not a fucking degenerate who shits on the playerbase that gave him prominence while producing a series of gay as fuck caricature characters... no... Codex now thinks its a good thing that he's working at Beamdog.

:nocountryforshitposters:

kris

Arcane
Just when you think beamdog can't get any worse, now we'll get even more gay sex in BG3.

You got any confirmation that it was Gaider that pushed for this in their games? I mean we surerly didn't see a lot of that when he supposedly had more creative freedom (before EA). Its not like Helper who was writing slash-fan-fiction level gay stories before she was hired.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
So... basically he was pushed out. Otherwise why go to a third-rate studio?

Angthoron

Arcane
Codex is ridiculous, suddenly Gaider is not a fucking degenerate who shits on the playerbase that gave him prominence while producing a series of gay as fuck caricature characters... no... Codex now thinks its a good thing that he's working at Beamdog.

This.

Between this and Gametrailers shutting down apparently being a bad thing I don't even know what is going on anymore.

Ramireza

Savant

Well, Gaider is not only known for "gay shit". He and the other Bioware guys (who worked there for a long time) are experienced RPG devs/writers. Now this people leaving a AAA-Shit studio to join and small studio that is willed to create a more niche "oldschool" D&D rpg.

OF COURSE this is a good thing. Maybe the result will suck, who knows. But kill this idea NOW is much to early. I never will understand this "everything is shit" - attitude here.

Angthoron

Arcane
You're right of course, we should cheer about such amazing writer as Gaider joining to write for amazing company "Beamdoge"

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Well, Gaider is not only known for "gay shit". He and the other Bioware guys (who worked there for a long time) are experienced RPG devs/writers. Now this people leaving a AAA-Shit studio to join and small studio that is willed to create a more niche "oldschool" D&D rpg.

OF COURSE this is a good thing. Maybe the result will suck, who knows. But kill this idea NOW is much to early. I never will understand this "everything is shit" - attitude here.

Everything is shit, until proven otherwise. And the proof we do have from Beamdog is that they are mediocre writers who fucked it up gloriously with their original content for the EE's, and that Gaider is a cunt from his forum posts and a shit writer from his books and characters.

Not sure how those two will combine into anything of worth.

Delterius

Arcane
being 'constrained' by the D&D rule system and monster and treasure lore is the only thing that made baldurs gate and icewind dale fun.
Lol no, sweet cabeza de mierda, you have no idea what discussion you are in. We are not talking about the Rule System, rather about Setting. One argued that Dragon Age was a shitty fantasy setting. I said that ToEE and such games aren't good fantasy settings either. The point was rather simple: a setting is only as good as whoever is using it.

The same Troika that gave us VTM:B gave us Hommlet.

The same Obsidian that gave us MotB gave us the NwN2OC.

The same BioWare that gave us BG gave us the NwN1OC shortly afterwards.

And that's just computer games. Fantasy settings in genre fiction are a hodge podge of writers of variable quality, license control from WotC or whoever doesn't guarantee quality. Likewise, someone with better priorities than BioWare could make an interesting story out of Dragon Age which, even posters here agree, did have interesting ideas here and there in spite of the fact that BioWare insisted in using the most generic areas in the most uninteresting ways.
Dumb fuck

ToEE: best known for its story and its use of the setting. Not the bugbears.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
The EE´s are for myself just a new interpretation of the series.
The original BG series end with throne of bhaal.
Romance is a part of the BG series. It doesn´t matter if new or old!
If you don´t like it than don´t play it or ignore the romance part by telling the party members:"Shut the fuck up!".
Why is that so hard?

Because after you told gay party membert to fuck off and stop romancing you - they will continue to.

So yes, avoiding "fuck me in ass" romances IS hard in games like BG 2.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Isn't the problem with Hommlet that it was badly designed? It's a shitty generic fantasy town, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, except that ToEE forces you to spend your whole existence in it like some kind of Maze spell.

Delterius

Arcane
Isn't the problem with Hommlet that it was badly designed? It's a shitty generic fantasy town, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, except that ToEE forces you to spend your whole existence in it like some kind of Maze spell.
It is the single most painful town of shitty good villagers where you get to solve issues of grain storage and where jewellers lead you through a giant dialogue tree of nothing only to say that 'he doesn't want to talk about his past' and the FUCKING DRUNK GUY'S DUBBINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAASKJbhDJKLSDKLHJSLDJKAHDAPPPRHG
I love Troika but I hate Hommlet above all things. Its my Anathema.

Gay Elves (Setting which sucks and is part of discussion) VS authentic D&D turnbased combat (totes not Setting and not really part of discussion but I'll bring it up anywaysss) though.
See the above post about how terminally silly posters can't into what people are discussing before calling others the dumbfucks they themselves act like.

This.

Between this and Gametrailers shutting down apparently being a bad thing I don't even know what is going on anymore.
This brings back memories~

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It is the single most painful town of shitty good villagers where you get to solve issues of grain storage and where jewellers lead you through a giant dialogue tree of nothing only to say that 'he doesn't want to talk about his past' and the FUCKING DRUNK GUY'S DUBBINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAASKJbhDJKLSDKLHJSLDJKAHDAPPPRHG

Which is exactly my point. ToEE is my wet dream combatfag game and I couldn't care less if the game was set in Faerun or Thedas or Equestria or whatever, as long as they kept the "roleplaying" to a minimum and just let me chop shit up. Instead we get this poor excuse for an endless adventure fetch quest which nobody is really sure why we're going along with.

Delterius

Arcane

Which is exactly my point. ToEE is my wet dream combatfag game and I couldn't care less if the game was set in Faerun or Thedas or Equestria or whatever, as long as they kept the "roleplaying" to a minimum and just let me chop shit up. Instead we get this poor excuse for an endless adventure fetch quest which nobody is really sure why we're going along with.
Wow, you really are something aren't you?

Imagine that you are discussing the D&D implementations of ToEE and Knights of the Chalice with somebody else. Then I sweep in and start yapping about setting, story, plot and Hommlet, calling people retards and shit. That's you. That's what you are doing. For fuck's sakes, you aren't wrong. You are just being somewhat retarded about the way you like to post painfully obvious things like ToEE's ok combat.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Imagine that you are discussing the D&D implementations of ToEE and Knights of the Chalice with somebody else. Then I sweep in and start yapping about setting, story, plot and Hommlet, calling people retards and shit. That's you.

Lol no, sweet cabeza de mierda, you have no idea what discussion you are in. We are not talking about the Rule System, rather about Setting. One argued that Dragon Age was a shitty fantasy setting. I said that ToEE and such games aren't good fantasy settings either.

is this real life or is this fantasy

Delterius

Arcane
Imagine that you are discussing the D&D implementations of ToEE and Knights of the Chalice with somebody else. Then I sweep in and start yapping about setting, story, plot and Hommlet, calling people retards and shit. That's you.

Lol no, sweet cabeza de mierda, you have no idea what discussion you are in. We are not talking about the Rule System, rather about Setting. One argued that Dragon Age was a shitty fantasy setting. I said that ToEE and such games aren't good fantasy settings either.

is this real life or is this fantasy
I know its hard, but sometimes forum discussions begin even further back. Try looking into the post you first replied to. I'll wait.

Delterius is the number one white knight of Dragon Age's shitty setting.

Not really, I do believe that Dragon Age is a shitty setting as per BioWare's interpretation of it.

serch

Magister

He that can but won't receive far more hate than people that just can't. But then you can have some hope for the former

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
They should have Gaider do design instead of writing, stuff he designs has been decent to good, while games he's written for have been poor to shit.

polo

Magister
Excellent news, now i don't even need to think if im going to waste my time in Beamdog games or not. Phew, valuable time won't be wasted.
Now, where were those doritos and my mt dew?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom