Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Greatest RPG shop of all time

hilfazer

Scholar
I know PoE is disqualified but ... fuck it:

2015-03-27_00002_zpsfmj1qxc2.jpg

Axe Father

Savant
Here, kill yourself.

I was always curious, are these two separate tracks that both play in the game or does it replace it based on your sound hardware? I seem to remember hearing the one I posted in Arena as well, but I don't recall hearing the one you posted in game even though I know it's in the files and on the soundtrack. Been a good while since I played Daggerfall, so I may just be retarded and I heard it several times.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You need a GM compatible sound device to hear the GM tracks, which are (sometimes quite) different.
You're missing out if you don't hear them.

Axe Father

Savant
Damn. Just one more reason why my life has been a lie. I still think the lower quality track I posted is much catchier, though.

Beastro

Arcane
It might be a personal thing, but I get a huge kick out of accessing a new area and finding a shop with interesting items. Conversely, opening a new area and finding out the shops sell the same generic crap is a massive downer. Shopping can often be an important ingredient of a solid RPG-experience.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Smiley's Shop: Forsaken Land. Oh, the shop itself isn't very remarkable, just some basic goods and no sign of a shopkeeper anywhere. The memorable part is when you see the anti theft security guards...

https://youtu.be/5afKtqKL7wU?t=300

:troll:

MrMarbles

Cipher
Also, the shop in Paper Sorcerer is pure delight:
The shopkeeper is a zombie, and his promo-actions each time you finish an area are just hillarious.

Never played it, but the artwork looks great. Add a bit more gothic architecture details and you've got soiled underwear.

I wish there was a merchant hidden away in the depths of a library somewhere, like that weird puppet student in the Kingkiller Chronicles. That would be rad. The closest thing we have is some of the temporary shops in Dark Souls.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, most shops in RPGs are somewhere to get initial chars off the ground, then sell stuff later on, but rarely provide anything useful after the first couple of levels, and if they do, it seems out of place. For this reason, I really like the shops in Might and Magic 6 - 8 - even at higher levels, it was worth visiting the shops. They were part of the game like everything else, not just a tool to get early players off the ground. Once you got to a higher level, even then you could buy great amulets for enchantments, a part you probably ignored until you got to higher levels.

I also liked the bonus content shop in BG2 with Planescape Items, and the Stores in Trademeet. Had a girdle of some kind of Giant Strength. Nice to have something worth working for. Actually, I just liked reading item descriptions in BG1, 2, IWD, and such. Could just waste time reading descriptions of stuff you'd never buy.

Sizzle

Arcane
For this reason, I really like the shops in Might and Magic 6 - 8 - even at higher levels, it was worth visiting the shops.

Especially if you were loaded with cash but you didn't buy anything, and the shopowner would bitch about it as you left the shop, always liked that part :D

Baron

Arcane
wizardry-boltac-255.jpg

Boltac's Trading Post from Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

The shop for discerning explorers.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
There are a lot of good shops in this thread, but I should mention Bloodnet's. Seedy merchants in back alleys with their car trunks full of awesomely strange items from firearms parts to vasopressin.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
my earlier posts were sorta trolling on this thread but i'll make a proper post :)

in no particular order, and for me the best shops aren't always if they have the best stuff available or the most stuff it's how they fit the setting to me :)
junk dealer in tarant(arcanum)
i always liked the general shops/clothes stores in arcanum, thought they usually had a real feel to them
killians store(fallout 1)
beths(fallout 1)
jakes (fallout 1)
gun runners(fallout 1)
tubby's(fallout 2)
buster's(fallout 2)
eldridge's store(fallout 2)
happy happy's store(fallout 2)
tony's(ja2)
adventurer's mart(bg2)
high hedge(bg1)
Sorcerous Sundries (bg1)
thunderhammer(bg1)
sidrovich just for the music, most of what he sold was garbage(stalker isn't an rpg though :o)

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
6-SF2_2954.png

The Dwarven Caves in Shining Force 2. Its a JRPG and perhaps not even technically a shop but its the best thing ever, so fuck the police.

The shop itself is hidden and you have to pay attention to find it. In it you can convert Mithril ore to special weapons. The mithril ore themselves are hidden items spread throughout the game and you have to search really well to find them. Hopefully you have found enough to equip the whole force with awesome mithril weapons cause they are by far the most potent weapons in the game. Even better, the smith generates the weapons randomly from a certain set of possibilities, meaning that you always get a different weapon, which might these days piss me off (fucking save scumming) but back in the day was part of the adventure itself (what will he give me this time!?). Very fond memories of the feeling of collecting all these hidden ore throughout and then before the last few epic endgame battles find the secret dwarven hideout and spend some time there to equip your guys with super awesome weapons of annihilation.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
6-SF2_2954.png

The Dwarven Caves in Shining Force 2. Its a JRPG and perhaps not even technically a shop but its the best thing ever, so fuck the police.

The shop itself is hidden and you have to pay attention to find it. In it you can convert Mithril ore to special weapons. The mithril ore themselves are hidden items spread throughout the game and you have to search really well to find them. Hopefully you have found enough to equip the whole force with awesome mithril weapons cause they are by far the most potent weapons in the game. Even better, the smith generates the weapons randomly from a certain set of possibilities, meaning that you always get a different weapon, which might these days piss me off (fucking save scumming) but back in the day was part of the adventure itself (what will he give me this time!?). Very fond memories of the feeling of collecting all these hidden ore throughout and then before the last few epic endgame battles find the secret dwarven hideout and spend some time there to equip your guys with super awesome weapons of annihilation.

i never played your shit gook game and i never will

go make some anime faces in the mirror

Shin

Cipher
Greatest RPG shop? Probably Steam. GoG as a close second.

orcinator

Liturgist
Greatest RPG shop? Probably Steam. GoG as a close second.

They drag you in with free stuff, as the game goes on they do it less and less until they stop completely and then they hit you with paid mods and you have to fight to stop them from going any further with it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The insectist yahoo in the Wizardry8 swamp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom