Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warren Spector joins Otherside Entertainment - Morgoth cries tears of anguish and rage

Perkel

Arcane
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-02-17-warren-spector-joins-otherside-entertainment

Veteran designer leaving academia and returning to development to work on Underworld Ascendant and System Shock 3

Warren Spector is a full-time game developer once again. OtherSide Entertainment today announced that the veteran developer best known for his work on games like Deus Ex and Epic Mickey will be leaving his academic appointment at the University of Texas at Austin to join OtherSide on a full-time basis as a studio director.

"I've loved working with students as Director of the Denius-Sams Gaming Academy in the University of Texas' Moody College of Communication," Spector said. "But when the opportunity to have a bigger role in bringing Underworld Ascendant to life, as well as playing in the System Shock universe once again, helping to bring these games to a 21st century audience, I just couldn't say no. Working on System Shock was one of the most fulfilling things I've done in my career and it's hard to describe how much I'm looking forward to sharing with players what SHODAN has been up to since the last game was released."

Spector has been involved with OtherSide as a creative advisor since its beginning, but his ties to the people there go back further still. Spector worked with OtherSide founder Paul Neurath on the Ultima Underworld games, Thief: The Dark Project, and the original System Shock.

:takemyjewgold:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
More Warren Spector is always welcome in my System Shock so cool for those guys, the kickstarter for SS3 will have the shinny "by the original director of System Shock 1 & 2" and rack them in a couple of more mill

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Full announcement: https://www.facebook.com/OtherSideEntertainment/posts/1720799238132245

He'll be the director of System Shock 3 team.

OtherSide Entertainment is thrilled to announce that Warren Spector, one of the leading creative minds in the game industry, will soon be joining the company.

Warren has been a producer, designer, and director behind some of the industry’s most beloved games, including System Shock, Deus Ex, and the Ultima series. He led Junction Point Studios in creating the best-selling Disney Epic Mickey and recently oversaw the Denuis-Sam Gaming Academy post-baccalaureate program at UT Austin.

Warren has acted as a Creative Advisor to OtherSide since the studio’s inception. Following the end of this semester’s classes at UT Austin, he will transition into a full-time position as one of OtherSide’s Studio Directors. Warren will continue to help in a creative capacity on Underworld Ascendant and, later this year, ramp up and lead the team developing System Shock 3.

Warren has a long history working with members of the OtherSide team, having collaborated with founder Paul Neurath on the original Ultima Underworld games, Thief: The Dark Project, and System Shock.

“I’m delighted to have Warren stepping up into a director role at OtherSide and helping lead the charge with our innovative approach to gaming,” says Paul. “I can think of no one better suited to take on this creative challenge. Warren has changed the industry before and will do so again.”

“I’ve loved working with students as Director of the Denius-Sams Gaming Academy in the University of Texas’ Moody College of Communication,” says Warren. “But when the opportunity to have a bigger role in bringing Underworld Ascendant to life, as well as playing in the System Shock universe once again, helping to bring these games to a 21st century audience, I just couldn’t say no. Working on System Shock was one of the most fulfilling things I’ve done in my career and it’s hard to describe how much I’m looking forward to sharing with players what SHODAN has been up to since the last game was released.”

Efforts on System Shock 3 will accelerate this year under Warren’s direction, while OtherSide continues working on Underworld Ascendant, the successor to the Ultima Underworld series.

Everyone at OtherSide is excited to add Warren to the team and System Shock 3 as the second title in the company’s growing stable of games.

pippin

Fuck yeah men, this is worth getting excited about. But still there will be faggots who will complain because Levine isn't on board.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
honestly once I heard him defend the changes in DX:IW I realized the guy's a moron

there's a line between making a game less hardcore when it wasn't that hardcore in the first place and going full retard

tldr warren spektor is a retard

Perkel

Arcane
rLlgZuH.gif

Shevek

Arcane
"With Invisible War, the primary motivation was to make the game more accessible. We wanted to reach even more people. The first game, it was pretty hardcore. We were making a game for ourselves... if the shooting is too hard for you don't shoot, try something else. If the sneaking is too hard for you don't sneak, try something else. And I always felt that was a really mainstream idea. In Invisible War, we really wanted the player to be more important than the story."

-Warren Spector

AMG

Arbiter
You people are still buying into the whole "celebrity dev" thing? You should have learned by now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom