Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warren Spector joins Otherside Entertainment - Morgoth cries tears of anguish and rage

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
"With Invisible War, the primary motivation was to make the game more accessible. We wanted to reach even more people. The first game, it was pretty hardcore. We were making a game for ourselves... if the shooting is too hard for you don't shoot, try something else. If the sneaking is too hard for you don't sneak, try something else. And I always felt that was a really mainstream idea. In Invisible War, we really wanted the player to be more important than the story."

-Warren Spector
Thats PR speak that is what the company wanted him to do and even Kojima fucked up with MGS2 so they have a pass in my book
Here they will probably kickstart the game and cator to their core audience instead of trying to dumb shit up to sell out
I mean the guy was teaching classes ffs he will probably see the error of his ways and honestly how much would you need to try to fuck up a new System Shock? You have your core concepts, audiologs, shogan (and her original voice actress) all you need to do is update the interphase a bit, set the game in a space ship station mininh colony or whatever and you are pretty much set
Even if he is just a headline for the kickstarter this is pretty much a good thing

Shevek

Arcane
DX:IW is his turd. Folks can blame publishers or other employees but it's ultimately his turd.

tormund

Arcane
"I would call Invisible War a more sophisticated game. Deus Ex was like early automobiles. They didn't know what they were doing! They were putting Wagon Wheels on this, and a steam engine and... they were making stuff up! And that's where we were in Deus Ex. Invisible War is a very calculated attempt to streamline and make more sophisticated."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DX:IW is his turd. Folks can blame publishers or other employees but it's ultimately his turd.

"Blaming the publisher" for DX:IW isn't something that people have done AFAIK. The guilt is usually assigned to both him and Harvey Smith, though.

Shevek

Arcane
He gave Smith the reins and turned the other way to give him his shot. That was his call. As a supervisor, I take the blame when I choose a subordinate to do something and I fail to support them in getting the job done.

Ash

Arcane
"I would call Invisible War a more sophisticated game. Deus Ex was like early automobiles. They didn't know what they were doing! They were putting Wagon Wheels on this, and a steam engine and... they were making stuff up! And that's where we were in Deus Ex. Invisible War is a very calculated attempt to streamline and make more sophisticated."

So all that time I've spent thinking all the classics were the work of calculated, learned genius, and trying to work on it in-kind and treat it with utmost respect, and it turns out they were just throwing design decisions at it and didn't have a clue, despite this being their sixth (or more) game in the genre...?

Who is the man behind this quote?

Edit: Ah, it's a "fixed" version of an original quote by Spector. Yeah some stuff Spector says makes me suspect, but less outspoken is the likes of Sheldon Pacotti and the mere three programmers that are listed as having coded the whole damn game, which is extremely impressive. Maybe Spector wasn't as central to the Immersive Sim as some say...but I don't doubt he played a major role nonetheless. DX was, at its heart, his concept, for one.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
why the hell would anyone be excited about spector in 2016

cause he's joinig otherside working on ultima and ss3 and not joining disney to work on duck tales 4.

Dude is industry veteran with more shipped games under his belt than bugs on thai prostitute vagina and he wasn't for last 20 years like some other vetarans drinking bear but actively worked on games (lately though he thought at UT).
He could point finger at any studio and they would gladly take him in and give him fat checks every month.

That is how incline is borne. For pursuing personal goals instead of financial ones and you can't prove otherwise in case of joining otherside which doesn't have really deep pockets. I would argue that he probably personally will invest some money in studio out of his own pocket.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Makes me remind this interview, again: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/14/warren-spector-on-life-after-mickey-going-no-weapons/

RPS: Speaking of, um, the opposite of doing something different, a lot of industry pioneers are now launching Kickstarters and going back to their roots. As someone who’s fought so hard to push beyond a perceived “box,” what’s your take on that trend?

Spector: I certainly understand it. I look back on the games I’ve worked on and I have very fond memories of Deus Ex and System Shock and Underworld. Those are an important part of my life. Would I revisit them in the sense of, “Hey, let’s put some pretty graphics on an old game”? No.

Well, OK, if someone gave me the opportunity – I guess it would have to be EA – to go back and take some of the ideas behind an Underworld or a System Shock, I’d have to think pretty seriously about that, for sure.

Aenra

why the hell would anyone be excited about spector in 2016

Let me speak for myself.
While you were busy praising Shadowrun Dingdonglong, i was exactly where i am now -a game or two (literally 1 or 2) excepting- wanting exactly what i want now and for the past 22 years.

And lo and behold, it's coming :)
Now while i got a ton of issues already with UA's "direction", i do criticise said elements. To help you out, that means i criticise what we have, what we know; in contrary to generally condemning it all because /edgy
I neither know nor care how old you were at the time, or how many games you'd happened to have played prior to UU1. What i do know (i did say i can only speak for myself) is that it, along with UUII, blew my fucking mind away. No one, no one has ever even got close to achieving that. Not since. Will they now? Who the fuck knows.

Except i stick to what i -do- know and leave generalisations (pointless as they always are) to others. If as usual, you reply with a single sentense of /edge, forgive me in advance for not replying yeah? :)

AMG

Arbiter
Dude Peter Molyneux is industry veteran with more shipped games under his belt than bugs on thai prostitute vagina and he wasn't for last 20 years like some other vetarans drinking bear but actively worked on games (lately though he thought at UT tapped a cube on cellphone).
He could point finger at any studio and they would gladly take him in and give him fat checks every month.

That is how incline is borne. For pursuing personal goals instead of financial ones and you can't prove otherwise in case of joining otherside founding 22cans which doesn't have really deep pockets. I would argue that he probably personally will invest some money in studio out of his own pocket.

Ash

Arcane
I neither know nor care how old you were at the time, or how many games you'd happened to have played prior to UU1. What i do know (i did say i can only speak for myself) is that it, along with UUII, blew my fucking mind away

I can only imagine the insane revelation it must have been playing Ultima Underworld in nineteen fucking ninety two...and we still haven't gone much further in terms of game design since then. I personally believe the likes of DX bested it, but little else.
And by the way, I do understand your concern regarding things like double jump, but I don't think it has to be detrimental even if it is suspect...depends on the implementation.

Perkel

Arcane
Makes me remind this interview, again: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/14/warren-spector-on-life-after-mickey-going-no-weapons/

RPS: Speaking of, um, the opposite of doing something different, a lot of industry pioneers are now launching Kickstarters and going back to their roots. As someone who’s fought so hard to push beyond a perceived “box,” what’s your take on that trend?

Spector: I certainly understand it. I look back on the games I’ve worked on and I have very fond memories of Deus Ex and System Shock and Underworld. Those are an important part of my life. Would I revisit them in the sense of, “Hey, let’s put some pretty graphics on an old game”? No.

Well, OK, if someone gave me the opportunity – I guess it would have to be EA – to go back and take some of the ideas behind an Underworld or a System Shock, I’d have to think pretty seriously about that, for sure.

good find

sser

Arcane
Developer
Except it wasn't EA that hired him which makes this read more like "small company goes over budget to hire a Big Name."

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That is how incline is borne.

xT0BKNBeDmlxDkM51e.gif

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

His comments on first area design and how they get away with it to their dismay, are priceless.
After watching this video, W. Spector is no household name anymore in my view and I pity those who get their pants wet to this news.
At this moment, Spector has lots to prove because his game design philosophy changed quite a bit in the last years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom