Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Explorerbc

Arcane
I crafted the two dragons I was missing for dragon priest and soon found out it was not worth it. The new entomb priest seems to function better.

I dunno, I never liked the entomb priest but then again I didn't really know how to play the deck when I tried it.

The one I'm running now took me to rank 5 in a couple of hours. It reks druids and has good chances against zoo and secredins which seem to be all over the ladder right now. It can sometimes also rush control decks like renolock or warrior but thankfully I didn't meet that many of them today.

rR0zKQY.jpg

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I see, Ysera is the one I am missing. Perhaps this is why I saw no impressive results. Funny thing is I had her but deemed her unworthy and dusted her. Joke's on me.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're going to give a 'What's Next?' preview on March 9 so figure maybe mid April before the new expansion... six more weeks MEN. Already have tons of gold.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
It will be April 1st or April 5th.

April 1 if they want to properly launch the new ladders, April 5th if they want to stay with their tried and true Tuesday maintenance shit. Leaning towards the cards being patched in on March 29th, then being activated April 1st.

It'd be pretty fucking retarded to launch 2 ladders in the middle of a month.

Revenant

I haven't really noticed HS ever following the usual tuesday (wednesday for yurop) blizz maintenance.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You could watch arena streamers who explain what they do. I learned a lot after I did that and it greatly improved my average.
Or since you're a beginner you could just stop now and be better off. :troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only adventure I'd bother getting now is League of Explorers. And if you want to sink cash into the game (lol) then your money is best spent there. Otherwise I wouldn't do Arena until you're familiar with drafting and what cards are strongest. Also Arena gives random packs and still might award GvG packs which will be effectively worthless in a couple of months. For now I'd stick to ranked/casual and keep buying Classic packs until you have a good 80% or so of the Classic set (excluding legendaries).

So, order of purchase (be it money or gold):

50ish Classic packs > first two wings of League > more Classic packs > last two wings of league. Don't buy any TGT packs. I'm sure some unused cards might see more play once GvG and Naxx are removed from Standard but you can simply craft them. You're much better off buying Classic packs.

Last edited:

Revenant

Or, rather, uninstall the game. Now is probably the worst time to start playing hearthstone, because as Metro said arena can reward useless packs, and even some classic cards (brody said 2-20) are getting nerfed with the introduction of the standard format, so even crafting cards that are good now might be a waste (cards that won't be nerfed directly probably won't be available to disenchant for full value). Where have you people been during the beta? It was the only time the game was genuinely interesting to play. If you missed the train, there is really nothing interesting to see in hs anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I think the game will be better overall with the new system. That isn't to say they didn't take the lazy way out -- they did. Still it's not a terrible time to start playing. You absolutely know Classic cards are the strongest value for new players. It was pretty much a given before but now it's a 100% lock. Also there aren't many good TGT legendaries aside from Trueheart and maybe one or two others that might pop into the meta with the removal of Naxx and GVG.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
We will see two expansions per year (start and end) and one adventure (middle). At least for now.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLADFLALFSDALFSFALFALFLDSFLAFD.

Just when you thought they couldn't get greedier. Wipe your old cards and now at an even faster rate than before. It also makes no sense. You're going to bookend the expansions in a short time span? I guess they mean like October and March?

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
You're right, they should just... release less content and let the game get stale more frequently.

Or we can be logical for once.

Presuming you reroll quests correctly (reroll all under 60), you should earn roughly 61g per day from quests according to what I've read. 61*365 = 22265 (not counting 10 per 3 wins) that's... 222 booster packs. Or if you still refuse to buy the adventures, something like 182 booster packs. Also worth mentioning that arena can pretty much turn any amount of time into more gold+boosters presuming you're decent at this game. (time is money though, friendos). Even if you were to never do arena, and refused to ever spend any real life money on the game, that's still 90 boosters per expansion. You can definitely make 3 or 4 top tier decks at all times by managing your dust correctly.

You also get another 52 packs per year from tavern brawls. Packs that never go out of rotation. (Kibler is right btw, we should have a core set instead of classic, but that would drive the Metro babbies even crazier)

Sure, in order to have ALL top tier decks at all times, you'll probably have to buy the adventure and maybe a bundle of packs at some point each year. At that point you're spending like... $60 a year on a game you play every day. Wew, what a travesty lads. Such greed!!!!

Last edited:

Grubba

Arcane
...or you could just stop playing this vapid, monotonous game and spend your time on more worthwhile pursuits like sniffing glue or hammering a nail through the head of your dick.

Seriously, fuck this and every other online game that essentially requires you to log in every day for fear of "falling behind". I thought Duelyst was cool for a little bit but really, it's the same bullshit. It's mobile cancer that's designed to eat up your time and money.

Take a look at this:
http://www.polygon.com/features/201...ity-inside-blizzard-s-radical-new-approach-to

Interesting article, but I point to this specific bit:
But Brode and company are also looking toward another major issue with Hearthstone that they want Standard rotation to improve, one that may not be as immediately obvious to people playing the game every day. Blizzard needs to keep pulling new players into the game, and the more decks players need to catch up on, the more difficult it is to convince a fresh player that it's worth the time and money investment.

"Hearthstone has to be gaining new players forever," Brode says. "If we ever stop gaining new players, we'll die."

:hmmm:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You're right, they should just... release less content and let the game get stale more frequently.

Or we can be logical for once.
It is logical. Logically derived to make more money. The whole point of Standard mode was that the game wouldn't get stale because they'd be pushing a new meta nearly every six months when they retire the most recent adventure or expansion. Now it's going to be changed every four months? There was really no risk of getting stale with the implementation of standard and one adventure/one expansion per year. This is purely a financial motivation. Which is fine, but don't pretend it's designed for 't3h good of t3h game.'

And good luck attracting new players when you push out 400ish new cards every year. The first of which will be effectively removed from your collection a year later and so on. They might net a few whales but ultimately I see their cash flow going down. Not that it matters. The game already exceeded their wildest expectations and they pay the small staff next to nothing.

GrainWetski

Arcane
As a beginner, is it best to save up for Arena and getting trounced (1-3 the two times I've tried), or saving up for the solo adventures?
Right now in the month or so before standard comes out, I'd save all gold unless you can average 7+ wins and you're boring like the "arena streamers" and only really play the 3 consistent classes.

Just grind dailies(+ the "quests" for defeating all expert AI etc.) and then start playing for real when standard is out. Then when standard comes around you can just do arena to get the relevant packs. At worst(meaning never getting any gold and 0-2 wins per run which is near impossible to accomplish), you lose 50 gold per run compared to just buying packs but you get to draft from all cards so it's way more fun for a new player.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
ITT People who are upset that Hearthstone is a business pursuit.

It's still one of the fairest F2P games I've ever seen. I've outlined very clearly and easily how you get a metric shitton of resources without paying any money. You literally can earn hundreds of booster packs a year for 'free'. If you clear out your quests every 3 days, and do a weekly brawl, then yes, you can create and maintain multiple top-tier decks without spending a dime. If you really wanted to be efficient, you could just build 1 top tier deck and continue hoarding resources.

I don't understand how someone can still pretend that needing to buy cards from 4 sets and 2 adventures is somehow worse than needing to buy cards from 8 sets and 8 adventures (and growing) in a few years.

Also, the "ur gonna lose ur cards" meme is getting really stale. Wild will have its own ladder and will confer legendary status if you grind it. It's unfortunate they named it Wild instead of Legacy, but whatever.

These design decisions ARE for the good of the game and for the good of the bottom line. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Ultimately, if you have to spend $50-$100 a year in order to have a bunch of gold cards, or all of the top tier decks, I don't see how that is a problem. Things have to be maintained and development funded.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ITT People who are upset that Hearthstone is a business pursuit.

It's still one of the fairest F2P games I've ever seen. I've outlined very clearly and easily how you get a metric shitton of resources without paying any money. You literally can earn hundreds of booster packs a year for 'free'. If you clear out your quests every 3 days, and do a weekly brawl, then yes, you can create and maintain multiple top-tier decks without spending a dime. If you really wanted to be efficient, you could just build 1 top tier deck and continue hoarding resources.

I don't understand how someone can still pretend that needing to buy cards from 4 sets and 2 adventures is somehow worse than needing to buy cards from 8 sets and 8 adventures (and growing) in a few years.

Also, the "ur gonna lose ur cards" meme is getting really stale. Wild will have its own ladder and will confer legendary status if you grind it. It's unfortunate they named it Wild instead of Legacy, but whatever.

These design decisions ARE for the good of the game and for the good of the bottom line. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Ultimately, if you have to spend $50-$100 a year in order to have a bunch of gold cards, or all of the top tier decks, I don't see how that is a problem. Things have to be maintained and development funded.
MEN, plz, wild mode is lelz.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
plebbing intensifies.

good to know that I keep getting more and more intelligent in comparison to the euro hordes present here.

:positive:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's still one of the fairest F2P games I've ever seen. I've outlined very clearly and easily how you get a metric shitton of resources without paying any money. You literally can earn hundreds of booster packs a year for 'free'.

Yeah, I've been doing that since last September and with the new announcement it finally dawned on me how dreary and wretched the F2P model fundamentally is.

All I've been doing the last few months was grinding two decks - Tempo Mage and Huntard - since clearing dailies with non-netdecked sets is an exercise in nerdrage. This was huge fun the first two months, changed into fun-ish chore for the next two and now I'm just starting to lose interest completely.

I just don't think the whole CCG business is for me. I want to pay your standard 59,99, buy all cards right away and have my fun experimenting and dicking around with different decks. But if the option is either grind one or two mediocre decks for months on end or pay hundreds of dorra and pray to RNJesus not to give you four Manastorms in a row, then fuck it. Not for me.

And seeing how all my Naxx and GnG cards will get obsolete and I'll have to grind for yet another huge expansion (not to mention I don't have LoE yet) in a month or so, I think I'll just go and spend my time elsewhere. Life is too fucking short for a bullshit like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom