Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Fallout 4 is the best game and the best RPG of 2015

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
In a related story, sandpaper has been voted #1 ass-wiping material by The Society of Toiletries. Many of the leading Abrasives Manufacturing industry execs were in attendance for the ceremony, who also helped sponsor the prestigious event.

Trashos

Arcane
What's with the thread title? Is RPGCodex trying to open up to the RPG-lite audience? Should I pack my bags?

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think that with this "Academy" being American is more about the guns.
You forgot to mention the 'OH MY GOD IT HAS NIPPLES! SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!' impact it must have made on Americans, and the whole 'Well, we saved your asses in WWII so you owe us'-shtick they've been using to death ever since. No way a European game will win from 'made in the USA', even less if it's from a third-world eastern-european country like Poland. (Aren't they commies?!)

I find hilarious how some people take it personally about Fallout. It is a shooter, for console kiddos, set in the fallout universe. It doesn't unmake your favorite games from childhood, those still exist, nor takes away the other indie games, so I really can't empathize with the pain some people feels about this. And it amuses me.
And it's not because it's Fallout in particular. Pool of Radiance is one of my favorite classics. I didn't moan and whine when they released the Ruins of Mith Drannor one, I just thought, oh well, those morons missed an opportunity.

It's not only that they're raping the name of a beloved game and changing or ignoring its original setting, their ownership of the franchise and the shit GOTY awesome Best Of The Decade Must-Buy games they produce prevent anyone from making an actually good successor to those original games. Until maybe after FO6 sales drop because they'll finally be called out on their crap engine, lack of writing talent or pretty much anything to do with RPG-design... And then they'll buy the next franchise with a nostalgic name and do the same thing again. Meanwhile the Fallout name and concept is burnt for good and no one will ever pay money to Beth to buy the name and concept they've so thoroughly destroyed.

You didn't moan and whine about Ruins of Myth Drannor because it didn't mean there would never again be a chance of a decent D&D game being made. Ubisoft/Stormfront fucked up, press was critical enough to make everyone realize this and make it flop. But they didn't own it, so others got and still get the chance to work with Forgotten Realms and who knows, however unlikely, maybe someone can make something decent with it again. (Might be they've successfully killed Might & Magic now, though.)

Last edited:

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
It's not only that they're raping the name of a beloved game and changing or ignoring its original setting, their ownership of the franchise and the shit GOTY awesome Best Of The Decade Must-Buy games they produce prevent anyone from making an actually good successor to those original games. Until maybe after FO6 sales drop because they'll finally be called out on their crap engine, lack of writing talent or pretty much anything to do with RPG-design... And then they'll buy the next franchise with a nostalgic name and do the same thing again. Meanwhile the Fallout name and concept is burnt for good and no one will ever pay money to Beth to buy the name and concept they've so thoroughly destroyed.)
One franchise being about retrofuturistic post-apoc RPGs be does not invalidate any other franchise from trying the same thing, last I checked spiritual successors had not become illegal. It doesn't matter who owns Fallout, because that doesn't kill the concept itself, just one variation.

The franchise itself was already in miserable condition before Bethesda bought it anyway, best-case alternate reality scenario would be Herve still sitting on the license letting it gather dust. Either another big publisher would buy it, or he would inflict his own ideas on it.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not only that they're raping the name of a beloved game and changing or ignoring its original setting, their ownership of the franchise and the shit GOTY awesome Best Of The Decade Must-Buy games they produce prevent anyone from making an actually good successor to those original games. Until maybe after FO6 sales drop because they'll finally be called out on their crap engine, lack of writing talent or pretty much anything to do with RPG-design... And then they'll buy the next franchise with a nostalgic name and do the same thing again. Meanwhile the Fallout name and concept is burnt for good and no one will ever pay money to Beth to buy the name and concept they've so thoroughly destroyed.

You didn't moan and whine about Ruins of Myth Drannor because it didn't mean there would never again be a chance of a decent D&D game being made. Ubisoft/Stormfront fucked up, press was critical enough to make everyone realize this and make it flop. But they didn't own it, so others got and still get the chance to work with Forgotten Realms and who knows, however unlikely, maybe someone can make something decent with it again. (Might be they've successfully killed Might & Magic now, though.)

A good point, but I still believe the release of FO3 and FO4 is not actually bringing any harm. Fallout classic games are already done and I'll dare say, FO2 already went a bit beyond what would have been needed/desirable. You can't go back in time, that story and that setting has probably already given what it could. It was a new and original spin on what an RPG could be, it was refreshing, made us all imagine and dream. That sparkle is gone. I believe all the complaining about FO4 crowd should focus on the new fallouts that could be happening now, instead of paying attention to what Bethesda does with the trademark and franchise.

Fallout lives. It lives in all the IE games it inspired, it lives in Underrail, AoD, and many, many future games, I am sure. No one can take FO1 from you, believe me.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

A good point, but I still believe the release of FO3 and FO4 is not actually bringing any harm. Fallout classic games are already done and I'll dare say, FO2 already went a bit beyond what would have been needed/desirable. You can't go back in time, that story and that setting has probably already given what it could. It was a new and original spin on what an RPG could be, it was refreshing, made us all imagine and dream. That sparkle is gone. I believe all the complaining about FO4 crowd should focus on the new fallouts that could be happening now, instead of paying attention to what Bethesda does with the trademark and franchise.

Fallout lives. It lives in all the IE games it inspired, it lives in Underrail, AoD, and many, many future games, I am sure. No one can take FO1 from you, believe me.

I kinda agree with you except for this. It brings harm to the Fallout series...what is left anyway. Sure, we have UnderRail but that isn't exactly Fallout, neither is Age of Decadence. Wasteland 2 tried to be that but it couldn't live up to the hype. We really don't have game that fulfills all the requirements that the original Fallout's (1,2, and to a lesser degree Tactics) had.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Dont believe ANY top RPGs lists from mainstream sites.

For them "most popular" (read, most dumbed down due to lowest common denominator) means "best RPG".

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Sure, we have UnderRail but that isn't exactly Fallout, neither is Age of Decadence. Wasteland 2 tried to be that but it couldn't live up to the hype. We really don't have game that fulfills all the requirements that the original Fallout's (1,2, and to a lesser degree Tactics) had.

NOTHING will be like Fallout. The fact they release another 7 AAA shooters with the Fallout name on them will still bring you the exact same amount of true Fallout games in the end.

The franchise itself was already in miserable condition before Bethesda bought it anyway, best-case alternate reality scenario would be Herve still sitting on the license letting it gather dust.

Honorable death is something not many can afford :(

For anyone claiming the existence of Fallout 3 and 4 is harmless, I recommend to type in the google image search "fallout". Feel the pain seeing the results! Weep!

Last edited:

M0RBUS

Augur
I find it amusing that some of you guys care or are surprised by stuff like this.

Turok

Erudite
OIeaDjI.png

:dead:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty sure OP mispelled the 'E' in DICE awards, should have typed in 'K' instead.

As for the awards, why would you care? Did you actually know the award existed before this thread popped up? If so, please do list all the previous winners you happen to remember(*):

Thought so.:)

*) not DAI

UnknownBro

Savant
It's like we're living in some kind of alternate reality-bizarro world where most of the population (included these "expertos") are retarded. It boggles the mind, really, things like these.

I'm not a fan of modern gaming whatsoever but, OBVIOULSY, The Witcher 3 should've been the undisputed winner.

Pfff... "experts" these days...

:deathclaw:

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The franchise itself was already in miserable condition before Bethesda bought it anyway, best-case alternate reality scenario would be Herve still sitting on the license letting it gather dust.

Honorable death is something not many can afford :(

For anyone claiming the existence of Fallout 3 and 4 is harmless, I recommend to type in the google image search "fallout". Feel the pain seeing the results! Weep!
Please do not misquote me with such horrible things. That post somehow attributed to me was most certainly from DavidBVal as an argument against my own.
I most certainly do not think the Bethesda Fallouts to be harmless for the name or its franchise.
Hell, people on some boards write crap like 'I liked the original Fallout game more' and are actually referring to Fallout 3 with that statement.

DavidBVal also wrote ' I believe all the complaining about FO4 crowd should focus on the new fallouts that could be happening now', yet doesn't seem to doesn't seem to realize that this is exactly what's causing the anguish.
After, what, a decade of decline, some developers have finally understood that the industry was wrong when they declared 'classic' RPG's dead and have created/are developing new games now. Some of them quite good. Just imagine if one of those could pick up the Fallout license, get funds for it (now a possibility) and make a real rpg with it, maybe even with some of the original assets and creators on board, some stuff made for Van Buren...
THAT is 'the new fallout that could be happening now' if it weren't for a AAA company raping the franchise by using it as a background for what isn't even a good shooter.
And yeah, people have created some good games 'inspired by' Fallout, awesome, but they could and would have done so regardless of what had happened to Fallout. But the second one of them really tries to make a (spiritual) successor and slaps a blue jumpsuit on a character, uses the vaults, SPECIAL, BoS/NCR, the weird alternate history with its awesome 50's style or anything close to actually reviving that nostalgia and rekindling that glimmer hope that started when Van Buren rumours were spreading; they'll be slapped with a cease and desist and that's the end of it.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Hell, people on some boards write crap like 'I liked the original Fallout game more' and are actually referring to Fallout 3 with that statement.
Stupid people are going to be stupid, who knew?
After, what, a decade of decline, some developers have finally understood that the industry was wrong when they declared 'classic' RPG's dead and have created/are developing new games now. Some of them quite good. Just imagine if one of those could pick up the Fallout license, get funds for it (now a possibility) and make a real rpg with it, maybe even with some of the original assets and creators on board, some stuff made for Van Buren...
I'm sure Herve would have been extremely compassionate and listen to this young studio's plea for the license.
THAT is 'the new fallout that could be happening now' if it weren't for a AAA company raping the franchise by using it as a background for what isn't even a good shooter.
And yeah, people have created some good games 'inspired by' Fallout, awesome, but they could and would have done so regardless of what had happened to Fallout. But the second one of them really tries to make a (spiritual) successor and slaps a blue jumpsuit on a character, uses the vaults, SPECIAL, BoS/NCR, the weird alternate history with its awesome 50's style or anything close to actually reviving that nostalgia and rekindling that glimmer hope that started when Van Buren rumours were spreading; they'll be slapped with a cease and desist and that's the end of it.
Everything you mentioned could be easily replicated in a lawyer-friendly manner or replaced with something better unless someone is purely going for some hollow nostalgia peddling. All we're losing out on is a mediocre knock-off of GURPS made in a few weeks to avoid cancellation, two easily replicated archetypes, and nothing is stopping someone from using retrofuturism or alternate history. The only thing stopping somebody from making a proper successor to take over Fallout's throne is that nobody has been able to rise to the occasion.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a shit RPG but the gunplay and combat on Survival difficulty is quite fun.

Taskityo

Educated
When I read the DICE news about FO4 I just couldn't believe it... like really? Da fuq? Someone then told me despite the "jank" FO4 is the "the best rpg masterpiece of our time."

Dz3nk.gif

3kbhAed.jpg

But wait... couldn't it just be at least playable in it's all mediocrity? Couldn't... it... just... maybe? Just a little?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom