Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

COPS 2170: The Power of Law

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

fastjack

Augur
I was always interested in this game (always as in for a while about a decade ago) but I remember hearing some things that turned me off, like the fact that all movement was always in turn-based even out of combat which was a real pain in that 82nd (101st?) airborne game. Anyway, I am also interested in some retrospective opinions.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Yeah, combat is TB but out of combat is TB too. It is worse than it sounds if I remember correctly. This game and the game before it had good ideas but the always on TB mode ruins it. I forget the name of the game that came before it.

I think these guys did the Night Watch/Day Watch games too, right? Those games are better, but not significantly since it is based on books and you don't get to pick your character's either, but I don't think they were always TB. Russian games were always like this - they always had the potential to be great but had something or some element that sucked all the good out, with some noticeable exceptions.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This game and the game before it had good ideas but the always on TB mode ruins it. I forget the name of the game that came before it.
Paradise Cracked.

I wanted so much to like it. Great music, great ambiance/art, even stimulating combat, but the fact that moving is so tedious killed all the fun I had after a while. Also it had many stats but no documentation (in english anyways), so it was frustrating to optimize builds correctly.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
So is there a lot of pre-combat movement? Large maps you spend a while navigating before combat starts?

Roqua

Prospernaut
So is there a lot of pre-combat movement? Large maps you spend a while navigating before combat starts?

This really doesn't sound like a big deal when I read what I and others wrote, but it is different in game. I think it was going back and forth and back and forth always in TB and not just pre combat but post combat all the way until the whole mission was over. It far worse than missions in Xcom. This is something you may want to try for yourself as it may not bother you, and if it doesn't you'll skip out on a game you could really enjoy.
This game and the game before it had good ideas but the always on TB mode ruins it. I forget the name of the game that came before it.
Paradise Cracked.

I wanted so much to like it. Great music, great ambiance/art, even stimulating combat, but the fact that moving is so tedious killed all the fun I had after a while. Also it had many stats but no documentation (in english anyways), so it was frustrating to optimize builds correctly.

Thank you for the name of Paradise Cracked.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Paradise Cracked has some large maps, making for great set-piece combats, should be the same for COPS.

The problem is the back-and-forth that goes with typical RPG questing. At some point you get tired of optimizing 2-3 rounds worth of movement for your whole squad just to get to the merchant or questgiver faster, not to talk about moving between maps.

likaq

Arcane
Yeah, combat is TB but out of combat is TB too

out of combat in cops 2170 is real time . When last enemy on map is dead game is no longer in tb. Before that it is tb even if there is one single enemy on the opposite side of the map :(
Cops is forgotten very flawed gem.

paradise cracked is always tb, in and out combat. Avoid like the plague.

Severian Silk

Seems an easy thing to fix with a patch. Surprised they haven't done so already.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom