Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
An awkward teaser for Beth level design talk at GDC 2016:

This duo has been talked about their process several times before at GDC btw, if you are interested in this kind of thing.

http://blog.joelburgess.com/2013/04/skyrims-modular-level-design-gdc-2013.html
http://www.bethblog.com/2014/06/02/the-iterative-level-design-process-of-bethesda-game-studios/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxthbWfSak8

Bethesda, manually creating generic levels in 2016 using prefab blocks that they were able to create procedurally in 1996. 20 years of progress~

Jozoz

Prophet
So many people are saying "Settlements aren't mandatory, you don't need to get involved with that".

But it's very obvious that they replaced minor settlements (like Arefu or Republic of Dave in Fallout 3) with settlements.

So yes you still have to deal with settlements indirectly since it affects the entire world map.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Off the top of my head, Fallout 3 had Megaton, Rivet City, and a bunch of minor settlements like Republic of Dave, Little Lamplight, Big Town, etc

New Vegas had Goodsprings, Nipton, Novac, Trading Outpost 188 (if you've got a high gun skill and can impress the gun runner there), Camp MacCarran, Freeside, Inner Vegas, and so on.

So basically we have a formula of around two or three major settlements to trade in, and a collection of around a half dozen or so minor trading posts or towns in which the player can trade for basic supplies.

If you decide to completely ignore the settlement feature, then Fallout 4 has Bunker Hill, Diamond City, and Goodtown. That's it.

typical user

Arbiter
I traded in that bar near Concord, Diamond City has like 6 or more merchants, some of them hidden in interriors, Bunker Hill has 4 and increases stock money if you help them with some crap bandits, Good Neighbor has two. I also visited Sanctuary Hills because almost always there was a roaming merchant and Brotherhood and Railroad HQs to talk with their traders. So you have plenty of options to dump that junk you've been hauling for eternity. Oh there is also Vault 81 which will gladly accept you even when you let that stupid kid die from rat-flu.

So no, you don't need to get involved with settlements. The game will try to shoehorn it at the beginning and later on by telling you that Brotherhood is fucking stupid and you must assemble teleporter by yourself with supplies you and only you have found. But I told Preston to fuck off and didn't even have to experience Minutemen stupid errands. When I saw how it actually works I was happy that I skipped that faction and focused on building only one settlement for my own needs between missions as a side activity. I recommend doing that, you will enjoy minecrafting to some extent this way.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Behold what happens when these T&A gamer girls start to age a little. She has been doing this for quite awhile, I remember her Risen review that was posted on the Codex:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Her skyrim review is probably the only honest skyrim review out there.

This is pretty darn accurate except where she concludes that all the mediocre/bad parts make it 'really really good.' It's more, okay-ish. But this every Bethesda developed game since Morrowind. Not sure why she doesn't conclude the same for Fallout 4... especially when it has worse writing than Skyrim.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just noticed her Fallout 4 video only had like 3,000 views which is extremely low for YouTube 'personalities' these days. As an example, the Asian dude Trump who plays Hearthstone (and gets most of his audience through streams) averages around 250,000 views for his daily videos which are merely edited matches from his stream.

Looks like she doesn't even do that many videos, anymore. Maybe a dozen in the past year.

Last edited:

Jozoz

Prophet
I don't agree with everything she says but I don't mind her. She seems incredibly honest. She just says what she thinks without thinking too much about it or trying to make it sound smart.

Reviewers need to do that more.

Cadmus

Arcane
She seems ok. She's not obnoxious ekcept for saying ekspecially which really triggers me. I remember that Skyrim review, I know people with exactly the same attitude. They probably just need a timewaster. I can't imagine why they think it's a good idea to waste their time though.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Just noticed her Fallout 4 video only had like 3,000 views which is extremely low for YouTube 'personalities' these days
"She is liek old now, lol older than my mum lol!"

Looks like Jewtube has the same rules Hollywood has in place for womyn: if you dare to age a little there is always a younger one with bigger nerd glasses ready to take your place.
Somebody call the SJW squad at once!
But what do I know of 'tube "celebrities"? Last time I went there I was recommened some fag's video about his skin problems that got 600k views in 12 hours. :retarded:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Take a quest from Fallout 3, add a pinch of mod content and turn it into a paid DLC and serve on a platter to Fallout 4 playerbase. Kudos, Bethesda. :hero:

"Y'know, a lot of people liked our retarded Mechanist quest for some reason."

"Yeah....?"

"And Robco Certified is really popular. Or Buildable Bots if you're a hipster douche."

"I see where you're going with this! Mecha-Dogmeat!"

"Dammit Todd."

Zerginfestor

Learned
I love how the Fallout 4 Robots seem more connected, yet as soon as we see the player attempt at building a robot, they all seem half ass, their sockets loose and overall just plain ugly to look at. Also, why bring that idiot from Fallout 3 into Fallout 4? Can't wait for the Antagonist DLC where you can create your own custom ants! Because fuck choices in past games, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom