Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
The adventurers’ efforts were not assisted by the way it seemed to position itself in between them, causing them to get in each other’s way. Swiftly, the monster retaliated with a poke of its fingers – those that found themselves touched suddenly hunched over in pain, grasping their chests as blood dribbled from their lips.

Damn, we need more power to make it explode people. That, or Erd should have used the "earthquake punch".

ARE YOU NOT GOING TO ASK MY IDENTITY?” it asked, seemingly bemused.
“Monsters don’t deserve an identity.”
Yep, definitively they're rude and against TRADITION.

You make an act of sniffing the child, and he screams in a high, piercing scream like a girl encountering that rat-dog hybrid you tried to breed and promote as a replacement for test subjects in the academy.

Erdrick never changes.

And in the last second, there is a flash of crimson. Instinctively, you move Aria away, and your instincts prove right as a twisted red arrow flies past where she would have been, aiming straight for your chest. It would have pierced you both. It would still have pierced you, had Rin not called upon the shadow cloak that wraps around you – still under her control – to thicken and wrap around the arrow. Its trajectory is bent but its momentum undiminished, and the arrow pierces your thigh clean through, embedding itself into the stone with enough power to send cracks running all through the pedestal. Cracks that disrupt the teleportation circle painted on it.
And you had chosen such a sturdy material to avoid such a thing from happening, too.

Usually, when a teleportation circle fails, the spell merely fizzles. But there are rumours of it malfunctioning in such a way that something different happens. No one, of course, has ever been able to confirm it, as it would require a convergence of phenomenal bad luck. The circle glows. There is no stopping it now. You have no idea what happens when a teleportation circle malfunctions, but you are about to find out.

Well then, somehow we completely broke the chapter. DRAKENGARD!

Will it prove to have more disastrous consequences than the infamous Sphere Diplomacy? Will we actually meet said Spheres now? Only one way to find out. At least Aria didn't die. Small victories.

Kipeci

Arcane
The suspense is killing me! Should I be :smug: about this, or is this going to be like an approach the dangerous man moment where stupidity gives us super strength?

At least Aria didn't die. Small victories.
It seems a little premature to talk about whatever happened to the people who went through the teleportation. Whatever happened there, we can say that her cover is almost certainly blown... a Dark Lord moving a supposed attacker out of the way of an arrow before doing anything to protect himself? There are plenty of eyes and minds available to process this.

Hopefully Zayan can hold down the fort at Grahferde with the massive shielding system and all the goblins while we're out or whatever will be happening. I don't have too much hope for the safety of the slimes at this point; if we're not able to defend the castle as intended, the slimes installed within will likely have a terrible time.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At least Aria didn't die. Small victories.
But now we have to keep the prince company.

He kind of disappoints me, though. Plump (does not work out) and shrieks a lot. That's not royal enough. Shun would not approve.

And I can't blame this fully on Erdrick's perception, either. Was it a mistake to assume the boy would amount to anything? Do we keep him? It's getting kind of late to keep the charade...

I just hope we aren't facing a timeskip. I am not prepared to part with my dream of Wisteria the Mercenary Queen of Galbaldia!

The suspense is killing me! Should I be :smug: about this, or is this going to be like approaching the dangerous man moment where stupidity gives us super strength?
For someone who supposedly regrets not getting Brown Wedding, you are surprisingly resistant to FUN* ideas.

* For Azira's definition of FUN, anyway.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It would have gone a lot better if you had stuck to more conventional methods of escape, or even just taunting them outside their walls and having Aria kidnap the prince while they were distracted. :M
Should I be :smug: about this.

Going in to butcher the 'most troublesome people' wasn't going to work out well either. Either the most troublesome people fall, in which case they are going to retreat because of their diminished fighting strength, get panicky at the level of opponent they're facing (SECOND COMING OF VAALGRAHF!!!!), send out a global call for help and you get an actual alliance down on your head, or they prove to be more trouble than you can handle, forcing you into a serious fight which you can't disengage from easily.

Nevill

Arcane
As for where we are going... I think we are about to visit Rin's dad, or wherever we saw him last. He somehow got stuck somewhere after we 'killed' him and his castle fell apart... somewhere where he was nonetheless able to talk to us and send us across half the galaxy, farther than any spell could reach. If there exists such a place outside the normal space (-time?) boundaries, I suspect we are going there.

It would have gone a lot better if you had stuck to more conventional methods of escape
More conventional methods, in a plan dedicated to theatrics... it was doomed to success from the very beginning. :M

lightbane

Arcane
It seems a little premature to talk about whatever happened to the people who went through the teleportation. Whatever happened there, we can say that her cover is almost certainly blown... a Dark Lord moving a supposed attacker out of the way of an arrow before doing anything to protect himself? There are plenty of eyes and minds available to process this.

True, I didn't (or perhaps I didn't want to) consider this detail. We fucked up horribly, right?

He kind of disappoints me, though. Plump (does not work out) and shrieks a lot. That's not royal enough.

But that's how an actual disgusting parasite royal spawn would be. It is more realistic than "badass who can do everything". :M
Also, following tradition, he'll still attempt to backstab us at some point.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
More conventional methods, in a plan dedicated to theatrics... it was doomed to success from the very beginning. :M

Things can be flamboyant on the surface yet with a perfectly disappointing and boring explanation. It's all in the appearance.

Nevill

Arcane
True, I didn't (or perhaps I didn't want to) consider this detail.
Maybe he likes to devour children's flesh live. I don't think we did anything 'before doing anything to protect ourselves'. Rin took care of our armor as we took care of Aria. I wonder if we would still die if it pierced us. I mean, we were able to survive a near point-blank divine explosion with only our lower torso missing.

Anyway, this might be irrelevant if we get tossed 100 years into the future as a result.

Also, the only person that comes to mind who could have sent that red arrow through a kid is the Snake... but she did not seem to have the power to do that last time we've seen her.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
If we are gone for any appreciable time expect our goblins and slimes to be dead or scattered and inventor captured or in hiding as we didn't hurt the adventure party at all.

Nevill

Arcane
With the plan cancelled, they do not need to be at the castle. The adventurer party wasn't even heading for them.

Unless you mean the force Rin led.

Hmmm. Rin & Arlin & Zayan adventures incoming? I doubt we can get back without some MAD SCIENCE.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Things can be flamboyant on the surface yet with a perfectly disappointing and boring explanation. It's all in the appearance.
So, my original plan was the better approach, then? To be honest, I'm not really torn up about this, because we are finally leaving this forest, hopefully for bigger and better things.
Buh-bye!

lightbane

Arcane
It's certainly been a short episode, perhaps to compensate how lengthy the previous one was. In any case, this demonstrates that sometimes the best plans are the simple ones: when in doubt, apply Gygadine first.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's certainly been a short episode, perhaps to compensate how lengthy the previous one was. In any case, this demonstrates that sometimes the best plans are the simple ones: when in doubt, apply Gygadine first.

Going in to butcher the 'most troublesome people' wasn't going to work out well either. Either the most troublesome people fall, in which case they are going to retreat because of their diminished fighting strength, get panicky at the level of opponent they're facing (SECOND COMING OF VAALGRAHF!!!!), send out a global call for help and you get an actual alliance down on your head, or they prove to be more trouble than you can handle, forcing you into a serious fight which you can't disengage from easily.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
I am pretty sure Rin was sitting on the teleport circle with us. Which means our goblins and golems cant escape through the teleport circle and they would have to retreat back to the village and leave a trail that will be easily followed. That is if any of the goblins know the commands for our golems and they arent just going to sit there and be captured.

Nevill

Arcane
I am pretty sure Rin was sitting on the teleport circle with us.
Not to my knowledge. She was not supposed to teleport with Erdrick.

My understanding is that Erd & Aria & Prince are now trapped somewhere, leaving Rin & Arlin & Zayan behind to figure out a way to free them.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
...putting us in an ideal spot to mold the princeling as we see fit. If we're not going to end up in the space between dimensions, then he can return as a triumphant hero who has slain the Dark Lord.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
we are finally leaving this forest, hopefully for bigger and better things.
Buh-bye!

As long as you don't get stuck in the belly of some multi-dimensional entity for a couple thousand years it should all be good. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Returning to the story, it's clear that my plan was the most reasonable and respectful of their formidable capabilities. Attack in ambushes and attrite them, lure them to the castle with the prisoners taken.
Except that would make the area seem more hostile and thus spark further interest.
The only 'perfect' approach was to hunker down behind our shield and let them wander around, fail and return home. None of us chose the passive approach, though, so... At least we hadn't called an alliance down on our head.
Should I be :smug: about this.

Going in to butcher the 'most troublesome people' wasn't going to work out well either. Either the most troublesome people fall, in which case they are going to retreat because of their diminished fighting strength, get panicky at the level of opponent they're facing (SECOND COMING OF VAALGRAHF!!!!), send out a global call for help and you get an actual alliance down on your head, or they prove to be more trouble than you can handle, forcing you into a serious fight which you can't disengage from easily.[/QUOTE]
It's obvious now that these adventurers are not what Erd is used to back in his world. There is much less posturing and pageantry.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
As long as you kill off the weaker ones and lure the stronger ones into thinking they have a chance it'd be fine. The problem is that when you attempt a decapitating strike on their strongest fighters and if you succeed, still expect them to retain their morale and march towards what they think to be certain doom. They're not that retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom