Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only 'perfect' approach was to hunker down behind our shield and let them wander around, fail and return home.
No, your initial one worked fine as well. The fact is, everything worked smoothly and according to plan until the very end when it was time for us to leave and we mangled the exit. Which was kind of an unforseen consequence, since no one suspected a TP spell could even do that. At most there were concerns it would fizzle out due to interference, and we'd have to search for another way to retreat.

But hey, don't you love it when things get interesting. :M

It's obvious now that these adventurers are not what Erd is used to back in his world. There is much less posturing and pageantry.
I don't think adventurers in our world were that bad either. Not Syke or Mieren, certainly - just Kyle and that priest-forgot-his-name.

It is mostly Erdrick who is about posturing, which might color his impression of how an adventurer should act.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Great job, guys. Way to plan an epic failure. If you had just listened to me. Kill the prince. Kidnap a few women. In and out in 5 minutes. But nooooooo.

Entertaining read though, which is why I liked it better than the other plans.

Nevill

Arcane
Gobblecock said:
It was noted by several people that attempting to use a circle in a huge crowd was asking for it to be damaged
I think you were the only one to bring that up, and it was in regards to us being unable to escape from a band of dangerous heroic adventurers. There was no prior indication that it could malfunction, nor was that possibility ever raised.

Kidnap a few women.
The method of kidnapping would have been the same. :lol:

Though now that I think of it, being strapped in the void between the worlds with a number of girls would be preferrable.

Yes, that's the difficulty in these LPs. There is no great big book of D&D spells/lore to consult before a battle.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm just chuffed that something unexpected happened. That is good Fun! :avatard:

Who knows? Maybe we were even moved back in time. We might get to chat up the real Vaahlgraaf. :whatho:

I'm better we all got teleported somewhere and will suddenly need to work together in the finest anime tradition.

Nevill

Arcane
I don't think even a damaged circle could exceed its capacity.

Also, for future reference, would you even work together with the prince? I mean, it would be very fitting. Kyle, Farland, and now Feyton. Must be destiny.

Actually, it looks like various princes get more screentime than our tailed princess! :rpgcodex:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, a sort of "The Fly" vibe thing?
Then it gets complicated. We have the princeling, Aria and ourself in that teleport cirle. Could be Very Messy. But no less Fun.

lightbane

Arcane
o one, of course, has ever been able to confirm it, as it would require a convergence of phenomenal bad luck.

This seems to be a constant since Legend (even though there's no luck stat here). On the plus side, we can heal ourselves from that wound and the gobbo village still has their cloaking shield. I wonder how long it will last.

wjw

Augur
Did we die again? Makes sense that we did, due to a teleportation error.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Way Home

“Right.” That was definitely a mistake. Sighing, hands on your waist, you float and tumble through this strange space. For the second time you found yourself in emptiness after teleportation, but instead of the black void you had previously encountered, this one is crimson red, a starless, featureless expanse of nothing but red as far as the eye can see. You are unsure just how far it stretches on – there is nothing present to help you measure the distance. At least it happens to be more comfortable than the last void, though that is not saying much.

You wonder if it is safe to attempt teleportation here. For some reason, you get the feeling that this is not a space that you can describe in physical - or even magical - terms, though it feels very worryingly real all the same. Still, no reason to panic. You have been trapped in worse places. If you can get in, there is always a way out.

“Why don’t you ask me about this place, boy?” coughs Barbatos politely. “I might know a thing or two.”

“Really? I didn’t think you would. What do you know?” you reply, exuding complete boredom as you continue to float aimlessly.

“Lord Vaalgrahf spoke once of a place that looked just like this, a blood-red emptiness. He called it the In-Between.”

“Sounds like a pretty stupid name,” you say, slightly irritated. “I expected something with more panache from the almighty dark god.”

“He was a practical sort. A bit like you in that sense, boy, though you are far less scrupulous.”

“If I were less scrupulous I don’t think I would be here in the first place,” you complain.

“That may be so,” Barbatos agrees unconvincingly. “Regardless, about this In-Between… think of the fist with which you throw a punch. Within this fist is a smaller fist that-“

“Hold on,” you interrupt. “Before you explain further, is that how Vaalgrahf explained it to you?”

“No, but-“

“Is it possible to explain what is going on without using fist metaphors?”

“Yes,” admits Barbatos grudgingly. “If you want it that way, boy. The In-Between is just as its name describes. It is in between the world that we know. If I were to put it in the words of that mad-woman of yours, Zayan, it would probably use a lot of terms such as parallel and tangential and non-Euclidean right-angles to reality, which was what Lord Vaalgrahf said.”

“Euclidean… what?”

“There are many strange words that I do not understand, boy. It would be far simpler when you accept that you do not need to understand them too. The fist will suffice.”

“Right. Right.” You heave a deep breath, resisting the urge to try and tear the gauntlet out of your very being. You did not get this far in the study of magic without knowing when to dismiss strange words, after all. “More importantly, did Vaalgrahf say how to get out of here?”

“No.”

You grind your teeth. “Then-“

Before you can have a brief outburst at your own hand, a shadow looms over you. You look upwards – well, so far as up can have any meaning in this place – and see a strange cylinder, domed at the top, hovering above you. As you wonder how this thing can cast a shadow, and where exactly the light illuminating this void comes from, you begin to notice other shapes emerging fully formed from thin air. It takes only a blink of your eyes for them to appear. And as you blink again, some of them vanish. The shapes that don’t seem more solid… more real. Those that constantly appear and disappear invariably look like twisted strands of pale white dough wrung through a tornado.

It might just be your imagination, but some of those unstable, flickering shapes seem to be vaguely humanoid at times.

“Oh, I remember now,” Barbatos speaks up. “Lord Vaalgrahf also said that the arrival of a sentient will in the In-Between changes things. How, I do not know. But this could be the response he was speaking of.”

By now, the remaining shapes have solidified. There is the domed cylinder… or perhaps it is a tower? There is a flat piece of green that seems to look like a square of earth cut out from the land itself. Then there is a white sphere, still and silent in the distance.

You wonder if you should approach these objects, or chance a casting of Teleportation – you have no idea what the latter, or indeed, the former, would do, and at this point perhaps one choice is as good as another. There is, however, the matter of Prince Feyton, who is even now clinging to your left leg and has refused to let go ever since you arrived. His eyes have the blank stare of someone confronted with the shattering of his entire reality and sad to say, the only refuge of the royal bratling’s sanity is now your hallowed left leg. The entirety of Methuss would be in an uproar if they could see this.

For some reason, Aria had not been around when you came to your senses. Whether she had become lost on her own, or whether she did not arrive here in the first place, you do not know… but it is not a mystery you can solve by merely sitting around.

A. You head for the tower.

B. You head for the square of green.

C. You head for the white sphere.

D. You attempt to teleport out of this place.

As for Prince Feyton:

A. Where you’re going, you don’t need extra baggage. This is the best place to dispose of him without anyone else knowing. You kick the prince away and let him float into the void.

B. Perhaps he might still be of some use. As trading material for any cannibalistic tribes you might come across, if nothing else. You keep the prince with you.

C. You put him out of his misery, even though he's probably not worth the miniscule effort it would take to kill him. That is your mercy.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
NO.

Tower might be interesting. Towers belong to wizards and kings and important people. They can help us out, or we could devise a Kunning Plan to seize it and claim it for ourselves.

The green square, though... a floating island? Could that be where the Carnage Pigeons have retreated to?

Let's keep the pet prince. Maybe he will be good for something after all.

B. You head for the square of green.
B. Perhaps he might still be of some use. As trading material for any cannibalistic tribes you might come across, if nothing else. You keep the prince with you.

Kipeci

Arcane
Might as well succumb to TRADITION by this point. We have a prince, now let's just get the tower to imprison him within. :M

AB

lightbane

Arcane
Uh, I didn't expect an update that early. Well, a playable interlude better said. Still, thank you for your dedication, treave.

He called it the In-Between.”
“Sounds like a pretty stupid name,” you say, slightly irritated. “I expected something with more panache from the almighty dark god.”

“He was a practical sort. A bit like you in that sense, boy, though you are far less scrupulous.”

Well, it sounds better than The Bleed... Wait what, how can Edrick be more ruthless than a Demon God? What the hell is wrong with him? :lol:

Those that constantly appear and disappear invariably look like twisted strands of pale white dough wrung through a tornado.
It might just be your imagination, but some of those unstable, flickering shapes seem to be vaguely humanoid at times.

iu

The white ghosts have returned! *Slams the NOPE button*
Then there is a white sphere, still and silent in the distance.

*Slams said button harder*
As trading material for any cannibalistic tribes you might come across, if nothing else. You keep the prince with you.
Is that a Baldurs Gate 2 reference?

Sighing, hands on your waist, you float and tumble through this strange space.

That reminds me: Is Erd hurt? Is he still wearing the shadow costume, or has that been dispelled and thus he's currently wearing his birthday's suit? We should cast Regeneration before doing anything else, just to be sure.

B-B.

Nevill

Arcane
Wait what, how can Edrick be more ruthless than a Demon God? What the hell is wrong with him? :lol:
Vaalgarf sounds like a gentleman and a scholar.
“Hold on,” you interrupt. “Before you explain further, is that how Vaalgrahf explained it to you?”

“No, but-“

“Is it possible to explain what is going on without using fist metaphors?”

“Yes,” admits Barbatos grudgingly. “If you want it that way, boy. The In-Between is just as its name describes. It is in between the world that we know. If I were to put it in the words of that mad-woman of yours, Zayan, it would probably use a lot of terms such as parallel and tangential and non-Euclidean right-angles to reality, which was what Lord Vaalgrahf said.”

“Euclidean… what?”
We should take after him. :salute:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Only one vote for sphere diplomacy? I guess we have learned something.:incline:

Square of green seems like it could be a way out of here while the tower promises information and loot. And we still have the matter of finding Aria.

AB.

Kayerts

Arcane
A CYOA in 2019 said:
Hey, remember how all of you voted for Square Diplomacy in Overlord and screwed us all? Let's not repeat that mistake. This time, let's vote for tetrahedron diplomacy.

I think it's probably wrong to think that there's only one way to apocalyptically fuck up in alternate realities, or that spheres are bad geometric solids whereas cylinders are awesome. This is most likely a flavor choice. Anyway, AB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom