Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Swen Vincke's Divinity: Original Sin 2 Presentation at the PC Gamer Weekender

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's this night eye business, night time in Morrowind looked pretty damn bright to me. :\

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...and back to the actual news post... I really enjoy hearing Swen speak. Even though he talks non-stop and appears to have ADHD in this and every KS update, it still tends to be quite informative and makes me even more excited about the game.* I just hope he can deliver on this very ambitious undertaking.

Even more excited regardless of having my mug in the game. ;)

Xenich

Cipher
I don't see what's the point in walking all over the place, when you can simply Teleport to every point of interest like AoD. Goddamn features getting in the way of my RPG!

Glad to see you have no convincing argument to support the feature.

Should NPCs have daily schedules instead of standing still in one place all day? Maybe one day the guy will go and see his parents, then the next day he will shop in town, after that he will be hunting in the forest...

Oh and no quest compass naturally, those are the cancer that is killing the games.

Obviously, the more complexity to a the system, the better, but there are points where a developer has to compromise.

As for no quest compass, etc... You are damn right, all of that shit is for mainstream gamers who want to be entertained and see every aspect of game play to be an "inconvenience".

Personally, I wish all those idiots would go back to whatever they were doing before the fad of playing games became popular. I very much liked the old days when only the intelligent people were playing games while the idiots pointed and laughed at the "nerds" for their stupid games they played. Games were much better before them, well... at least you didn't have idiots complaining about "conveniences" as often.

I can't even wholly grasp how demented your outlook is.

Most Mainstreamers can't grasp my outlook at all.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hate having to comb scenarios twice to see if there is something specific the designer decided I should do at nigh
try some medication!?

I very much liked the old days when only the intelligent people were playing games
have you suffered much during your puberty period?

Some people just don't get the mood. Poor bastards
trying to convince them bastards that Microsoft Office Excel is not a game is pure suicide

Kem0sabe

Arcane
another issue with day&night I can see is mechanics behind sneaking skill.
angle of the sight cone is derived from sneak skill.
Length of the cone is derived from enemy.

Currently being in light/shade doesnt affect any of those... and adding it in meaningful way would mean complete rework of the skill(putting aside how useful sneak is with easy access to invis)
Night would just add a straight bonus to your sneaking skill and a penalty to line of sight, with light sources influencing both those numbers

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
If light levels have no meaningful impact on game systems or interaction with the game world then it is largely pointless other than for atmosphere. In that case then, if night is not actually dark then night is doubly pointless in that particular game. Few games get it right IMO.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's done that kind of unspecified consultation on the main narrative on every recent project he's worked on. Don't expect much of it.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Still, it's different from what we (or at least I) heard before and at least shows a little more engagement than 'He'll be writing an origin story.'
Swen really does seem to respect MCA (hell, he seemed pretty much humbled when they hooked up) and to me doesn't seem like the kind of guy who'd just wave away commentary because 'I'm in charge and know better'.

Game looks really promising regardless.
Fuck, I'd have been happy with a D:OS copy with a (better) story or (even) more combat options; looks like they took it a lot further.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Divinity OS2 previews feel so weird. Theyre basically telling us they've bred a type of horse that can fly to the moon, shits vanilla icecream, can speak 10 languages of our choice fluently and do our taxes. Sounds pretty unbelievable, but hell i have faith in them!

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does Swen detail how the four characters will work in a single player game? I don't like to play RPGs with other people and I find unnderving all the talk about how awesome will they interract. Finding another person to play is hard, but four for a RPG with a lenght of maybe 50+ hours? Who has time for that?

On other hand, I hardly wait to play as an undead necromancer and fuck with the living.

Gicusan

Educated
This is very ambitious. They delivered once so I trust them. If they succeed, this will be one of the great games of this generation: very good combat made better, decent story bettered again, origin driven interactions. And then there is Swen who is great by himself. It is the game I am most hipped about. Even more than the new Torment. And those 2 and some R- and M-TW mods are all I am hipped about.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Great news. The main thing I didn't like about the first game was the world/setting itself. IMO it's quite forgettable. Maybe a new interesting story will awaken my curiousity

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
From the comment section:
I'm liking the more Mature setting. I refuse to play the first because it looks so childish and immature that I can't take it seriously.

Yeah that was a big problem I had with the first game, thinking in retrospect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom