Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

Myobi

Liturgist
As James best “obsessed no life” follower, I feel like I haven’t done enough to deserve such honorable title. But I’ve had a friend of mine asking me to write something up for his blog… so, I just took up the chance, James I hope you enjoy it mate, I tried my best <3

Part I: http://rrvs.blogspot.pt/2016/03/the-tale-of-fraudulent-clusterfuck-part.html
Part II: http://rrvs.blogspot.pt/2016/03/the-tale-of-fraudulent-clusterfuck-part_9.html
Part III: Coming tomorrow ~

DramaticPopcorn

Is there a tl;dr of this thread? I'm trying hard to comprehend who is the troll here.

Tybost

Novice
No need to humiliate the guy Tybost. The free market can do that far more effectively.

Something more needed to be said rather than Failure, such true, much wow comments

Although... I felt bad for going that far (was drunk) and contacted him privately the next day to apologize. He replied and gave some more information on his current thoughts/plans which seem sound enough to me.

Sv8tRLC.jpg

I ended up replying and told him his plans sound like a waste of time.

Good to hear he is still somewhat sane.
This project titanic will only drag him to further ruin and humilation the longer he stays on the ship.

Last edited:

Myobi

Liturgist
Honestly I have to sympathy for him. He allowed himself to become the “led-developer” of a MMORPG when he couldn’t even finish a Space Invaders clone, he has no experience or knowledge yet he accepted the position, he lied to himself and everyone else by doing so, a little humility would have saved him from all this hassle…

He takes no responsibility of Appleton actions that led to a 100,000$ Kickstarter scam, yet not only he went along with it, but even profited out of it. Now he comes back after all this time, advertising the project all over the place before even having anything close to being remotely playable, accepting the praise of clueless fools after showing them screen shots of Unity Assets glued together…. Just fucking shameless.

Do I want to see “Greed Monger” burn? I can’t, there is nothing left the burn, the only thing there ever was to burn in this project was the backers money and that’s long gone by now. I just want him gone honestly, he wants to develop a video game? Fine, nothing wrong with that, go do it, stop advertising your phony shit, stop claiming others people work as your own, stop thinking about “profits” even before having anything playable and for fuck sake, stop talking crap about the people behind the software that Appleton bought, especially in such hypocrite way, it’s not their fault that you just know what the fuck you’re doing.

rofl.jpg

Also, we already spoke about this James, I even made you a god damn list, it’s not just “one unfinished project over your head”, they are over 20 by now, and you just have this one, because you took him from Appleton hands, because you were fucking greedy and wanted all the goodies attached to it.

Taojnhy

Novice
He replied and gave some more information on his current thoughts/plans which seem sound enough to me.

Sv8tRLC.jpg
This isn't "harsh", nor is it at all surprising; this is par for the course for Proctor. It also begs the question: so, what happened with these other investors he claimed to have this time around?

My guess is they were real, willing and able; pick any two adjectives.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Well since Jason already let the cat out of the bag over on EVE's forum it was Jason that was going to fund the servers...

Myobi

Liturgist
"Ohh Jason has nothing to do with GM anymore!", you are so fucking full of shit.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
The whole GM drama is a ruse.
No- Sadly it isnt. Its long past insane as fuck though and hopefully comes to a quick end and james walks away and doesnt look back.

Greed Monger is like a cursed object that makes everyone who touches it crazy. It was conceived with some Black Witchcraft and destroys lives. If greed monger was a person , it would be a baby puncher or a Liberian warlord.

I think someday there will be a book written about this shit because as fucking crazy as it is- its...Interesting as all hell on so many levels and says so many things about human nature. there could be future university courses based on the teachings of GM.

This thing really needs to officially die and not ever be resurrected , never again. Or quickly finished and walked away from- Something. And it needs to happen soon.

After being involved with this shit quite closely for so long I probably have more questions and more issues that just defy logic than I did when i started. At times I actually feel bad for Appleton because I have a better understanding of how he was fucked from the start and didnt have a chance (he brought that on himself in many ways) and trying to work online with people , exchanging money and being reliant on trust is a recipe for disaster especially if you're not an expert in the field and even have to rely on others to explain shit to you.

I have learned how not to do shit and that any task I ever undertake I want to be able to do it by my damn self if I have to or have someone in the same office/basement/dungeon to choke if I need to. =P

How and why this is still alive- I still am scratching my head. Why Appleton would even want anything to do with this after he was able to walk away free and clear is beyond me. Why james didnt just do city life and came back to working on GM is beyond me.

If I was james I would shut this thing down or simplify it to the extreme and just release it and be done. Move on. This has done nothing good for anybody whos been involved from Appleton and james to the backers. The stress and the problems james has been dealing with arent worth it and its going to get worse and worse until this thing is just dead.

This is like a guy who has a giant hole in his porch and every single morning he trips on the hole. He doesnt fix the hole, doesnt walk around the hole but just trips on that motherfucker every single time he walks out his door. At some point hes going to break something.

I have alot of feelings about all this and james knows them and I'm not going to even talk about it here. i'm just baffled about the entire thing.

Oh well, I'm tired as hell. G'night codex.

Myobi

Liturgist
Why Appleton would even want anything to do with this after he was able to walk away free and clear is beyond me.

Because fools will still throw money at it, as long as he promises the right shit.

Why james didnt just do city life and came back to working on GM is beyond me.

The same reason he didn’t finish the over 20 projects announced before it.

Because there is a limit to how far you can go with a bunch of Unity Assets, he will keep announcing projects and “work” on them until that limit is reached, then he will just give up on them, blame someone else if needed and repeat with a new project.

It’s like a little kid, building space ships with card boxes, why study to become an astronaut when it’s so much easier to just pretend.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Or quickly finished and walked away from- Something

simplify it to the extreme and just release it and be done

tbh fam you sound just as deluded as poor jimmy
Lol- I'm sure I am to an extent.

Look, Ive always been on the "Walk the fuck away" side of the issue since day 1 more or less, and theres been a million opportunities to do just that. Had that been done at the start instead of joel and james trying to sweep in and do whatever they were trying to do with this trainwreck we would be in a very different place right now in terms of this entire thing.

However, honestly I dont think thats going to happen. I dont understand it, god knows ive tried to understand it- I see how much stress this is causing and publicly having reputations ripped apart and actions scrutinized (which anyone can see is going to get worse as this thing plays out- And should have been expected) and my own opinion on what % chance there is to actually accomplish this- And I cannot grasp why everytime theres a chance to walk away this thing is brought back and publicly "marketed" for lack of a better term- And then we go complete circle.

So since I feel that no amount of logic is going to stop this- Fuck it, simplify everything to the point you can just release it and be done. Throw down some mobs, a quest of two and try to tie shit together and just be done with it. Walk the fuck away. If its broken, bugged or whatever- Leave it. Otherwise there is never going to be any closure, stress levels are going to increase , criticism is going to get worse, the 'ill show them all" attitude will increase which will result in wanting to make things even more complex and guarantee frustration and defeat.

Delusional? yeah, probably. But this vicious cycle needs to come to an end for a million reasons. And for some reason everytime it does 'end' (for all intents and purposes) it gets necro's like a cleve blackmore thread (Cleve I miss you buddy.) and this ride is never going to stop and each time it comes back the result will be worse. james is the only one who can stop this and he wont unless he completes it... So change what 'completes it' means is probably the only way.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Why Appleton would even want anything to do with this after he was able to walk away free and clear is beyond me.

Because fools will still throw money at it, as long as he promises the right shit.

Why james didnt just do city life and came back to working on GM is beyond me.

The same reason he didn’t finish the over 20 projects announced before it.

Because there is a limit to how far you can go with a bunch of Unity Assets, he will keep announcing projects and “work” on them until that limit is reached, then he will just give up on them, blame someone else if needed and repeat with a new project.

It’s like a little kid, building space ships with card boxes, why study to become an astronaut when it’s so much easier to just pretend.
Y'know as much as it really does hurt me to my soul to say this... I'm not entirely sure Appletons motive in this case is greed. In my opinion Appleton was approached and he legitimately agreed to help 'invest', contingent on him seeing satisfactory work done. I think he knew that that part wouldnt happen, especially with him setting the bar- BUT If anything legal ever transpires out of all of this Jason Appleton has shown that he was still willing to try and get this game out even after all the shit that went down.

At this point if you laid out the facts, even the public ones, Jason has tried his hardest to help make this a reality even after his obligation has long been over. Thats a fact- I think he knew he would never have to honor any investment based on seeing real progress but creates a nice paper trail if anything ever happens where he really does show his willingness to 'go above and beyond'.

Its smart but not necessarily greed. I think jason knew there was no chance of this ever seeing the light of day only a few mere months after the KS ended and was stuck and realized that throwing any amount of money at this wouldnt fix anything. I think he knows the same thing now. But it looks good on his character with little to no risk of him ever having to shell out a dollar.

Thats all speculation though and I have no idea- I just cant see him thinking this thing ever even had a chance to turn around. If all of a sudden there was team of 20 and massive progress being made daily and things beginning to really take shape and then he came , cash in hand, wanting in- That might be greed. Jasons an asshole but a smart guy. I dont think he had illusions of being able to make money from this and i'm almost certain he never had the intention of tossing money into this pit.

Thats all I can think of. =/

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Yup and it's nothing but a hit piece on me which It's nothing but lies and half truths not that you and Zola really care about the truth. I am currently preparing my own rebuttal on stay tuned...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom