Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Friendly Development Tools

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Amazon is making a free game development engine available, based on Crytek's CryEngine, which is named Lumberyard. Not only is it free, the source coude is also freely available. Integration with Twitch are already available and an integration with Oculus is coming.

Amazon makes money off the engine as it is closely integrated with Amazon Web Services, which is not free. That said, it is apparently possible for developers to integrate their own server.​

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I really wonder if there's a market for that. AAA engines and the indie developer target market don't go too well together, yet. AAA asset creation is generally off limit to most teams. They sort of see it as a way to push AWS as a backend for games, but I wonder, if releasing SDKs for popular engines wouldn't have been enough, same for twitch integration. Also their mobile hardware seems to be a bit too weak for AAA games compared to other, higher cost alternatives.

Castanova

Prophet
I really wonder if there's a market for that. AAA engines and the indie developer target market don't go too well together, yet. AAA asset creation is generally off limit to most teams. They sort of see it as a way to push AWS as a backend for games, but I wonder, if releasing SDKs for popular engines wouldn't have been enough, same for twitch integration. Also their mobile hardware seems to be a bit too weak for AAA games compared to other, higher cost alternatives.

Seeing as they released the source code and it's based on UE, it seems like this basically IS an AWS/Twitch SDK for one popular engine. They just seem to have packaged it up.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Seeing as they released the source code and it's based on UE, it seems like this basically IS an AWS/Twitch SDK for one popular engine. They just seem to have packaged it up.

CryEngine. True, but if I wanted to target the indie audience, CryEngine would be the engine I picked last, though it was probably the only major engine available for licensing for what they wanted.

(I just noticed that there already is an Unity AWS SDK, though I never heard if if before. The BaaS / backend market is a bit confusing at the moment. Parse shuts down, Unity partnered with Kii, but they aren't really keen on games, AWS is not really game centric and the numerous other players (app42, gamesparks, playfab) are small in comparison.)

Castanova

Prophet
Yeah, CryEngine I mean -- sorry. You're right it's a bit strange but I'm sure they have some sort of medium term plan for world domination that will not come to fruition.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So I tried Amazon's Lumberyard, and while setting it up is a little contrived (there is no actual installer, you can't put it in a location with spaces in its path, it requires a lot of shit to get started, etc), it's not bad at all. It goes into 5fps on my laptop when rendering the water, but there are some pretty feature complete tools, and it's well documented.

Leshy

Educated
I really wonder if there's a market for that. AAA engines and the indie developer target market don't go too well together, yet. AAA asset creation is generally off limit to most teams. (...)

That really depends on what you mean by indie. For a one/two person team with no budget indeed, but for more established teams it is a possibility. There's quite a bunch of indie games made with UE4. And nowadays with asset stores it's not that difficult to get high quality assets.

Alchemist

Arcane
Godot Engine has hit version 2.0 Stable : http://www.godotengine.org/article/godot-engine-reaches-2-0-stable

Also, they launched a revamped main website with a new Q&A system a couple days ago. Previously, the main community interaction happened mainly on Facebook (blech) or the ghost-town of a forum they had. The Q&A system is a much better setup.

And the documentation site has changed and is much better to navigate now.

Now is a good time to jump in if you've been considering this engine. I switched my project to Godot over from Unity a couple weeks ago, and things are coming along nicely.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Inkle (developer of 80 Days and Sorcery! digital version) released their script language as open source: http://www.inklestudios.com/ink/

Every one of our games has had one piece of technology that has remained constant, a bedrock that has enabled us to write literally millions of words of highly branching narrative: our proprietary scripting language, ink.

We've been hard at work on the latest version the language, improving the elegance of its syntax and adding powerful new features. We've rewritten the compiler from the ground up in C#, and moved it over to Unity.

The best feature of all though? It's now open source over on GitHub. We can't wait to see what other game teams and individuals will build with it!

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Monogame will now be an engine choice in Xbox One. Reminder that Monogame started as a reimplementation of XNA.

Alchemist

Arcane
Here is 1.6 gigs of royalty-free professional sound effect files, in conjunction with GDC happening. Get it while you can, I assume this is a temporary promotional thing:
http://www.sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016/

Here's the tracklist.

Last year's set is still available as torrent (with 100+ seeders). It's 10 gigs.

http://sonniss.com/GameAudioGDCPart1.torrent
https://twitter.com/sonnissdotcom/status/709895683659210753
Ooh nice! Thanks for the link!

Alchemist

Arcane
Here is 1.6 gigs of royalty-free professional sound effect files, in conjunction with GDC happening. Get it while you can, I assume this is a temporary promotional thing:
http://www.sonniss.com/gameaudiogdc2016/

Here's the tracklist.
I just realized after finishing the download this is 16 GB not 1.6! Not sure where I got that original number, it might have been a typo on their website previously.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tilemancer is a quick procedural tile creator designed for pixel-art games. Perfect for game jams, prototypes, texture mods, and more.

You can design tiles using a node-based approach in which a heightmap is created and later shaded by the program.

KQQuxF.png

The program features a collection of noise generators, filters and presets, giving you freedom and speed when creating your own tiles.

xqHVcV.png

All nodes and presets are programmed in Lua, letting you create and modify effects.

https://led.itch.io/tilemancer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom