Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny GDC 2016 Previews

Trashos

Arcane
Lowering the number of party members you can control is practically mandatory when you significantly increase the amount of micromanagement required for each (I think very few people would want to play an IE-style game with six spellcasters where combat is tuned so all of them have to cast spells in every fight). It's not necessarily something that could be considered dumbing down.

True. But are you suggesting that micromanagement in Tyranny will be unusually intensive? Because if that's not the case, then they are just dumbing it down.

Thonius

Arcane
(This is why I have some sympathy for Feargus: slam dunks aren't a luxury, he needs the South Parks and Armoured Warfares for Obsidian to even continue existing, whereas Troika was lucky to even make three games the way they did things. Of course, one might argue it's better to do that and die out. I'd prefer to see them become smaller and work with small/mid-budget RPGs like POE and Tyranny, and really focus on making them better.)
That'd be p. cool, except for the 100-something people losing their jobs I guess. :M
They just need to move from California. Eastern Europe is a nice place I heard.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
True. But are you suggesting that micromanagement in Tyranny will be unusually intensive? Because if that's not the case, then they are just dumbing it down.

We already know it's classless and focusing on over-the-top abilities limited only by cooldowns.

Tigranes

Arcane
Lowering the number of party members you can control is practically mandatory when you significantly increase the amount of micromanagement required for each (I think very few people would want to play an IE-style game with six spellcasters where combat is tuned so all of them have to cast spells in every fight). It's not necessarily something that could be considered dumbing down.

The combo shit could be. Or it could be dumbed down, though Pillars was fairly complex by modern standards and I don't think less party members always mean dumbed down. Who knows at this point? They better put up with some proper gameplay runthroughs/videos/etc soon.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Maybe they are going for something like guild wars 2, a small number of active skills, that you can choose as load outs and a set number of passive skills that can be used as buffs.

Then just watch the players spam those skills and do blackflips while firing 50 fire arrows.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

Fuck you! Go play Bethesda games, popamole lover!

It's telling that you left out the rest of my comment... "I'm not saying no games should be like that, they can be quite fun, just saying after a couple of decades of it I would enjoy a good old old fashioned clearly defined good vs evil in my fantasy."

Some people just like to watch themselves burn... :P

Not good enough. The way “good” and “bad” are used in the traditional fashion should be banished from cRPG, because it’s stupid and nonsensical. They can be great for a kid who just want mindless entertainment with swords, but is insulting and boring for any one with above average intelligence.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Feargus will NEVER, under any circumstance EVER allow Obsidian to fund and develop a turn based game, they just don't sell.

Last time I checked, Divinity:Original Sin or Firaxis' XCOM were doing pretty fine sales-wise (proving TB combat systems don't necessarily scare away potential customers), but what do I know...

Of course, it's the way you implement things. If the combat in these games were hard, they would sell shit.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
This is why I have some sympathy for Feargus: slam dunks aren't a luxury, he needs the South Parks and Armoured Warfares for Obsidian to even continue existing, whereas Troika was lucky to even make three games the way they did things. Of course, one might argue it's better to do that and die out. I'd prefer to see them become smaller and work with small/mid-budget RPGs like POE and Tyranny, and really focus on making them better.)

Or maybe they should admit they can't make good games due to the fear that they won't maintain a huge payroll and decide to become a smaller studio. Obsidian delivering MMOs, card games and a bunch of pretty, but superficial, isometric games just to make ends meet is not making the games we want to play, or that are worth to remember.

Thonius

Arcane
This is why I have some sympathy for Feargus: slam dunks aren't a luxury, he needs the South Parks and Armoured Warfares for Obsidian to even continue existing, whereas Troika was lucky to even make three games the way they did things. Of course, one might argue it's better to do that and die out. I'd prefer to see them become smaller and work with small/mid-budget RPGs like POE and Tyranny, and really focus on making them better.)

Or maybe they should admit they can't make good games due to the fear that they won't maintain a huge payroll and decide to become a smaller studio. Obsidian delivering MMOs, card games and a bunch of pretty, but superficial, isometric games just to make ends meet is not making the games we want to play, or that are worth to remember.
I blame taxes and their hipstery Californian life style.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I look at what styg managed to do, building an engine from scratch, having a deep combat and character progression systems, an actual useful and varied crafting system, along with nice graphics and sound design... Then I look at what a multi-million dollar team manages to push out at obsidian.

What it looks like is a massive lack of ideas, of inspiration, of reliance on bullet point design and too much fussing around with minutiae that has little baring in the end result being a fun or a good rpg.

Obsidian needs to either scale down significantly or grow a pair of balls and actually make a good rpg instead of all these half assed attempts.

Tigranes

Arcane

If only somebody said the exact same thing in... oh, there he is! In those quote boxes!

sstacks

Arcane
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

It's telling that you left out the rest of my comment... "I'm not saying no games should be like that, they can be quite fun, just saying after a couple of decades of it I would enjoy a good old old fashioned clearly defined good vs evil in my fantasy."

Not good enough. The way “good” and “bad” are used in the traditional fashion should be banished from cRPG, because it’s stupid and nonsensical. They can be great for a kid who just want mindless entertainment with swords, but is insulting and boring for any one with above average intelligence.

You're right. Escapism from the real world should be as realistic as possible.

m_s0

Arcane
My main question about this is whether Pillars is over as a franchise.
If by 'over' you mean it's just beginning then yes, it is.

It sold, got rave reviews all across the board, they own it, or at least get a fair chunk of the profit depending on the Paradox deal. Why wouldn't it continue?

ArchAngel

Arcane

You are right. Fuck realism, all rpgs should be fun like SCL and Fallout 4. I am sure you 100% agree.
:troll:

sstacks

Arcane

You are right. Fuck realism, all rpgs should be fun like SCL and Fallout 4. I am sure you 100% agree.
:troll:

I 100% agree that you don't like SCL or Fallout 4, I humbly apologize for having a mind and opinions of my own. Now, when you need help getting off of your high horse I'm sure we can find you a ladder.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

If only somebody said the exact same thing in... oh, there he is! In those quote boxes!

I dont prefer to see them become smaller to make uninspired games like POE.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Only a simpleton would assume that fiction, and especially cRPGs, should be escapism from the real world. Let’s concede that for a moment. What you really want it’s escapism for dumbfucks.

sstacks

Arcane

Only a simpleton would assume that fiction, and especially cRPGs, should be escapism from the real world. Let’s concede that for a moment. What you really want it’s escapism for dumbfucks.

So, I've already said that gray morality in games is fine and can be fun, but that every now and then I don't mind a different level of escapism.

If you're going to walk around with your nose held so high, make sure to pay attention. This is why you keep running into things.

Prime Junta

I dont prefer to see them become smaller to make uninspired games like POE.

So what do you suggest then? Pack it in and retire?

The Codex would never survive that. Tumbleweed would blow through empty forums, as a few grizzled oldfags gather around Prosperland reminiscing about the good old days when Obsidian threads used to run into the four digits.

Weasel
Tumbleweed would blow through empty forums

A bleak picture indeed...

zMQoG6B.jpg
:shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom