Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

pippin

It's been a while... Now I can't remember if it was a mod,and which one.
I do remember this particular conversation:

Jaheira: "Khalid my dear, 'twould take a sailor to untie that tongue."

Khalid: "Please! Jaheira! You needn't be so so... uh."

Jaheira: "Insufferable?"

Khalid: "Yes, that's definately it!"

As I said, this is found in the original files, but apparently for coding reasons you don't get to hear that sort of interaction as it should happen. This is why I believe it was a mod. Probably some sort of bug fixing or UB.
But I could be wrong. I haven't played BG1 in years and, actually, never did a full vanilla playthrough.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
These days Game Devs / Hack Writers are so in love with their companions they would never dare have them killed off mid-game unless there is some super ultra "Showdown" or cinematic so that you feel super sad they are gone.

Not that recent in Japan.

hqdefault.jpg

That game had the habit of killing characters from the beginning to the end, to the point it became mundane :lol:

Blackguard

Learned
As I said, this is found in the original files, but apparently for coding reasons you don't get to hear that sort of interaction as it should happen. This is why I believe it was a mod. Probably some sort of bug fixing or UB. But I could be wrong. I haven't played BG1 in years and, actually, never did a full vanilla playthrough.

At least that J&K conversation works in BGEE. Here's a list of all the BG1 banters. There are some quite long ones too like the one between Edwin & Dynaheir.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:deadhorse: What Doktor Best probably meant is that BG1 companions don't have full-scale dialogue tree "banter".

Neanderthal

Arcane
Be honest theres only one thing i'm interested in wi SoD, whats gonna happen at Boarskeyr Bridge where part o Bhaal still taints water? Apart from that nowt else i've heard has really lifted me trousers.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know what this says, but they didn't like it. 6.3/10
http://www.gry-online.pl/S016.asp?ID=28429
2255509.jpg

Overhaul Games producent

Atari / Infogrames wydawca

Strona oficjalna

RPG, fantasy, widok izometryczny, Dungeons & Dragons, funkcje cross-platform, klasyczne RPG

Siege of Dragonspear to duże rozszerzenie do gry Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition – odświeżonej wersji legendarnego izometrycznego RPG, wydanej na PC w 2012 roku. Produkcja ta, pierwotnie znana pod kryptonimem Adventure Y, stanowi łącznik pomiędzy pierwszą a drugą odsłoną cyklu Baldur’s Gate i oferuje ok. 25 godzin zabawy. Tak jak poprzednie gry z serii w edycjach rozszerzonych, omawiany tytuł w wersji PC powstał w studiu Overhaul Games, czyli jednym z oddziałów deweloperskich firmy Beamdog.

Fabuła dodatku jest powiązana z historiami opowiedzianymi przez Baldur’s Gate i Baldur’s Gate II, ale stajemy w niej przeciwko nowemu zagrożeniu. Po zabiciu Saveroka (głównego przeciwnika z pierwszej części) świat został teoretycznie ocalony przed zagładą ze strony złego dziecięcia boga Bhaala, ale w Siege of Dragonspear szybko okazuje się, że radośc była przedwczesna. Z północy nadciąga bowiem złowroga krucjata, prowadzona przez tajemniczą i charyzmatyczną wojowniczkę nazywaną Lśniącą Panią (ang. Shining Lady). Plotki głoszą, że jest ona, tak jak kierowany przez nas bohater, pomiotem Bhaala. Gracz musi ruszyć jej na spotkanie, rozpoczynając kolejną przygodę, której punktem kulminacyjnym będzie konfrontacja z przeciwnikiem w tytułowym zamku Dragonspear – ruinach stojących na portalu do Dziewięciu Piekieł, z którego niegdyś poprowadzono demoniczną inwazję na Wybrzeże Mieczy.

Wśród nowości przygotowanych na potrzeby Siege of Dragonspear na pierwszy plan, zaraz za nowymi zadaniami i lokacjami do odwiedzenia, wysuwa się czworo nieznanych wcześniej towarzyszy możliwych do przyłączenia do drużyny: kapitan Schael Corwin (ludzka łuczniczka), Voghiln the Vast (skald z północy), M’Khiin Grubdoubler (goblińska szamanka) i Glint Gardnersonson (gnom łączący cechy kleryka i łotrzyka). Charakterystyka nowych kompanów zdradza kolejną innowację – możliwość wybrania dla bohatera klasy szamana. Oprócz tego nie zabrakło nowych przedmiotów, zaklęć etc. Warto też wspomnieć o dodatkowym poziomie trudności – Story Mode – przygotowanym z myślą o graczach, którzy chcą cieszyć się opowieścią bez męczących walk.

Co ciekawe, nic nie stoi na przeszkodzie, by do rozszerzenia importować zapis stanu gry z Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition i kontynuować zabawę postacią stworzoną w „podstawce”. Co więcej, po zakończeniu zabawy z Siege of Dragonspear można przenieść osiągnięcia swoich bohaterów do Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, zaczynając nową przygodę.

Tak jak poprzednie gry z serii, omawiana produkcja w wersji PC powstała w oparciu o klasyczną technologię Infinity Engine – choć deweloper odświeżył nieco ów silnik, wprowadzając też parę zmian w interfejsie użytkownika.

Siege of Dragonspear oferuje takie same tryby zabawy jak „podstawka”. Kampanię można więc przechodzić nie tylko samotnie, ale także w kooperacyjnym multiplayerze dla maksymalnie sześciu osób. Nadal funkcjonuje on w formie cross-platformowej, co oznacza, że w przygodzie uczestniczyć mogą jednocześnie użytkownicy PC i innych platform sprzętowych.

Tryb gry: single / multiplayer Tryb multiplayer: Internet Liczba graczy: 1-6
Oczekiwania czytelników: 6.3 / 10 na podstawie 142 głosów czytelników.
This is a news report, not a review and the voting is from readers. Also, I'm not sure if this site wasn't the most famous/most popamole Polish gaming site, so its real review would only serve for laughs imo. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tons of banter is an exaggeration, as Kristjanson has said, Jaheira in BG2 has more dialogue alone than all the companions in BG put together. He wrote all of them, he'd know.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well Beamdog is expecting 1 000 000 sales of SoD so I would guess they made a good game.. or this is going to be like with SCL :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He didn't say they were expecting it, he said he thought it was doable. Of course that number will include mobile.

Ramireza

Savant
Expecting 1 Million copies of an (redundant, there is no real gap to fill between BG1 and BG2) EXPANSION to an (not so well received) pimped up 18 year old RPG is crazy. I my opinion its a big fault that they didnt sell a BG1EE & SoD Bundle für 25 bugs or something. Selling only the Expansion without BG1EE for 20 bugs is greedy as hell. Until now i like the EE´s (yes i do!) and bought them to support Beamdog.

But they gone to far imo, this greedy mofo´s. I will not buy it, thats for sure.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It's been a while... Now I can't remember if it was a mod,and which one.
I do remember this particular conversation:

Jaheira: "Khalid my dear, 'twould take a sailor to untie that tongue."

Khalid: "Please! Jaheira! You needn't be so so... uh."

Jaheira: "Insufferable?"

Khalid: "Yes, that's definately it!"

As I said, this is found in the original files, but apparently for coding reasons you don't get to hear that sort of interaction as it should happen. This is why I believe it was a mod. Probably some sort of bug fixing or UB.
But I could be wrong. I haven't played BG1 in years and, actually, never did a full vanilla playthrough.
No, I definitely remember that conversation from when I played BG1 back in the day, and I never used any mods. So it's in the vanilla game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Some interesting answers towards the end: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/dnd/bgenh/bgenhsodint.html

Johnathan Stringer (RPGamer): For those in the dark, could you give a brief description of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition: Siege of Dragonspear?
Phillip Daigle (Beamdog)
: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear is an expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. You need the base game to play the expansion pack. The story in Siege of Dragonspear bridges the gap between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II, telling what happened to the player character between those two games. You can continue playing your same character from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in Siege of Dragonspear, or you can start a new game at the beginning of the expansion. It adds roughly thirty hours of new adventures and, at the end, you can export your character into Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition to keep the story going.

At the end of Baldur's Gate you're in a good place - you've saved the city and are lauded as a hero. At the beginning of Baldur's Gate II you're being tortured in a foreign land by an unknown adversary, and the opening video of the game mentions "dark circumstances" that drove you out of the city of Baldur's Gate. Clearly something happened between those two games, and Siege of Dragonspear explores that idea.

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear is a new addition to the main story ofBaldur's Gate, but it's not Baldur's Gate III. It's sort of an "interquel" rather than a prequel or sequel to the series.

JS: What sorts of hoops did you have to go through to get this game off the ground? Was it as easy as pitching the idea and it was a go, or were there difficulties?
PD
: We're lucky to have an excellent working relationship with Wizards of the Coast, and we're also enormous fans of the Baldur's Gate series, so convincing them to let us do another adventure that took place between the two existing games was very straightforward. Initially the idea was a small, 1-2 hour adventure that we could sell as a tiny piece of DLC. Over time, however, we realized that people were hungry for way more than that and so we had to expand the scope of the expansion pack significantly.

JS: How tough was it inserting a new story in between 2 established game plots? This isn't done often, as it acts both as a sequel and a prequel at the same time.
PD
: It was very challenging to connect the two games together in a satisfying way. We didn't want Siege of Dragonspear to be a story that was entirely unrelated to the existing games: it had to tie into the first and second games but also strengthen the stories that were already there. At the same time it had to stand by itself as an excellent tale.

As well, Baldur's Gate allowed you to finish the game with whatever party of companions you wanted, butBaldur's Gate II assumed that you had a specific set of companions and ignored your choices in the original game. If we were going to bridge the two games together, we had to find some way to get past this issue without changing either Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate II. Further, we needed to have a story where it wouldn't seem strange that it's not referenced very much in Baldur's Gate II, which was written years before Siege of Dragonspear was even an idea.

We had to jump through a lot of hoops and come up with some very creative solutions, but I believe we accomplished what we set out to do, which was to make the Baldur's Gate saga even better.

JS: With the expansion importing into Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, will the new class also be available in BGII:EE? Will there be a follow up patch for it to integrate these new features?
PD
: Yes! The new Shaman class, which allows you to cast Druid spells like a sorcerer and also summon an almost unlimited number of spirit allies, will be introduced for free to both Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Editionand Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. The patch will either come at the same time as Siege of Dragonspear or slightly afterwards. The patches for both games are actually in testing right now as public betas.

In addition to the new class being released for free, all of the UI enhancements that we've made to Siege of Dragonspear are being released for free for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. It's our stance that you should have access to all these quality of life improvements and that all Infinity Engine games should offer the same great set of features.

JS: Without getting into spoilers, does Siege of Dragonspear take the player right up to the events starting in BGII:EE, or is there still some story gap?
PD
: There's still a slight gap, but you know exactly what was happening to you in that gap. It's sort of like being knocked out and dragged somewhere; you weren't awake for the dragging part, but it's not too hard to figure out what happened.

JS: How is the expansion accessed in-game? Can a player create a character and jump right in, or do they need to go through BG:EE first?
PD
: You can access Siege of Dragonspear in a few ways. Once the expansion pack is installed, you can:

A) Start a new game at the start of Siege of Dragonspear. Your character will be at an appropriate level for the adventure when you start, and you'll be given a party of companions from BG:EE based on your character's alignment.
B) Import your saved game from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. The party you have in this save will be brought into Siege of Dragonspear with you.
C) Import your exported character from Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. This is like the first option, but you're bringing in a character that already exists and skipping the character creation part of starting a new game.
D) Play through Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and automatically transition to Siege of Dragonspear after the final battle. This is similar to B.

We'e also added a feature that will allow you to create an entirely custom party of up to 6 characters at the start of the game. In the past this was only possible by juggling save files around to create an entirely custom party. Now it's built into the game.

JS: How much of a concern is it of being able to live up to the Baldur's Gate legacy? You added smaller bits of content in the previous Enhanced Editions, but this is taking adding content to the IP to a new level.
PD
: Baldur's Gate is a sort of holy grail for a lot of PC gamers, and so we knew that we had to be extremely careful in our treatment of the characters, story, and gameplay. With every step we took we would be asking ourselves "Is this Baldur's Gate? Does this FEEL like Baldur's Gate? Does it have the right flavor?"

We frequently revised the story in the early stages of development and even brought in some RPG legends like Chris Avellone to help us hone the adventure and really give it that classic Baldur's Gate feel. When we made the decision to bring back the original voice actors, that's when we really knew we were making aBaldur's Gate game. They brought their characters back to life instantly and it added a whole new level of authenticity to the game.

JS: Which voice actors will we see return, and for what characters? How much more dialogue have they recorded?
PD
: While some of the cast are being held back as a surprise for fans on release day, I can confirm some of the names that we've brought back:

Jim Cummings (Minsc)
Jim Meskimen (Khalid, Edwin)
Kevin Michael Richardson (Sarevok, Narrator)
David Warner (A role related to his role as Jon Irenicus in BGII)
Jennifer Hale (Dynaheir)
Grey Griffin (Skie Silvershield, Viconia)
Melissa Disney (Imoen)

And many others. The voice cast for this game is enormous, I believe we're at over thirty different performers for the expansion. We've recorded over seven thousand lines of VO. The characters have far, far more lines than they ever did in Baldur's Gate.

JS: It was interesting to see the inclusion of a story mode in Siege of Dragonspear. How much easier is this mode and was there a big demand for this feature?
PD
: Story Mode is just that - you're here for the story. You still need to speak to the right people, say the right things, figure out puzzles, and make important choices, but combat becomes a non-issue. Your characters will not die and you can focus on just enjoying the plot.

We had a surprising number of requests for this from people who had told us that they loved the idea ofBaldur's Gate and were interested in the many hooks it presented, but that they couldn't wrap their heads around 2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons combat. There were also gamers with disabilities that approached us on this topic, and they've given us some very positive feedback now that they can actually experience theBaldur's Gate story.

Keep in mind that we've also added a new difficulty option called Legacy of Bhaal. This is an option for fans of the series that think they've mastered combat in Baldur's Gate. It provides an all-new level of challenge that will frighten even our most veteran players.

JS: Can you explain the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty a bit more? What all is done in this mode that makes combat more difficult, higher enemy health and damage?
PD
: It goes beyond higher enemy health and damage; the tactics that they'll use will change dramatically, and once Legacy of Bhaal is enabled, it cannot be disabled. With every other difficulty option you can scale it up or down as you play through the game, but Legacy can't be scaled down. You really need to rethink all of your traditional approaches to Baldur's Gate combat when Legacy of Bhaal is enabled.

JS: Is this expected to be the last bit of expansion content added to Baldur's Gate, or do you have more ideas in mind? It would seem most of the angles of this plot have now been explored.
PD
: We've got lots of ideas for spots in the Baldur's Gate series that could be filled in, but we're waiting to see what the reception to Siege of Dragonspear is like before we commit to anything major. First we need to see what the fans want, then we'll look at what we can deliver. We've also got an eye towards the future. The Infinity Engine was built almost 20 years ago and limits us in a lot of ways. We're actively exploring next-gen technology for some potential future games.

JS: It was recently announced that David Gaider, formerly of Bioware, was hired on as a new creative director. This is a title you also had. Are you both now creative directors, or has your position or responsibilities shifted a bit?
PD
: I was the director on Siege of Dragonspear, and David won't have any involvement on that project. Going forward he's the Creative Director for the company, and I'm going to focus more on gameplay design and project-specific direction. I'm actually quite pleased by this because this plays more into my strengths and at the same time massively upgrades our story and writing direction.

David and I are working together right now to lay the groundwork for our next major game, but of course I can't reveal anything about that quite yet.

JS: Are you planning to create any new IPs, or are you more focused on building off of and enhancing existing IPs? And when should we expect to hear about the next Beamdog project?
PD
: We'd like to continue working with Wizards of the Coast on Dungeons & Dragons titles. We love D&Dand we love making D&D games. At the same time, however, we're also going to be developing our own projects and brands. For now I can't reveal anything, but going forward you'll see both great licensed and original IP projects from Beamdog.

JS: Anything else you would like to add about Siege of Dragonspear that we didn't cover?
PD
: Beamdog is made up of people who worked on the original Baldur's Gate games and also a lot of very passionate fans, including myself. For us to be able to work on the next generation of Baldur's Gate games, and to build upon this incredible legacy, has been a dream come true. We're all extremely proud of the work we've done and absolutely cannot wait for people to experience it on March 31st.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I suffered through so many crap over the years after infinity engine games stopped to be made and finally in few days a new one is coming!
If someone would be making IE games for rest of my life I could die happy after playing them for the rest of life!

Blackguard

Learned
SoD is never going to sell anywhere near 1 million. Trent Oster said on some twitch stream that counting everything BGEE has sold bit over, and BG2EE bit under, million copies. Even for games that are at the top of their hype cycle expansions always sell less than the original game. Here you have an expansion to a 18 year old game from a developer who got plenty of bad reputation from its previous releases. Beamdog should be hoping for a few hundred thousand copies sold at most, and even that is in no way guaranteed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
SoD is never going to sell anywhere near 1 million. Trent Oster said on some twitch stream that counting everything BGEE has sold bit over, and BG2EE bit under, million copies. Even for games that are at the top of their hype cycle expansions always sell less than the original game. Here you have an expansion to a 18 year old game from a developer who got plenty of bad reputation from its previous releases. Beamdog should be hoping for a few hundred thousand copies sold at most, and even that is in no way guaranteed.

Depends on the mobile market. I wonder how many people really bought the mobile versions of the EEs with the intention of seriously playing them, as opposed to doing it for the sheer coolness of seeing the game they played in high school on their phone. In which case, they wouldn't want to play something that's actually new and unfamiliar on it - for a serious first playthrough, you go with PC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Except EE versions were same games with some smaller addons which many didn't buy. They are counting on people wanting to buy actually real new content for BG games.

imweasel

Do some of you suck at English or something? "We would be thrilled if SoD sold one million copies" doesn't mean that is what they are expecting. I.e. they need to sell substantially less copies to break even or make a (very) good profit.

Anyway, Siege of Dragonspear will definitely boost sales of BG:EE, because it is required to play SoD. Those who didn't buy BG:EE, because they own the original, now have an incentive to buy BG:EE. That said, it is very unlikely that SoD would sell one million copies, but it is possible.

But they gone to far imo, this greedy mofo´s. I will not buy it, thats for sure.
I also think they should make games for free and only for our pleasure. Only fucking greedy bastards produce games to make a living and support their families.

:retarded:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Except EE versions were same games with some smaller addons which many didn't buy. They are counting on people wanting to buy actually real new content for BG games.

Smart move by Beamdog then, because SoD required BGEE to play, so those people will have to buy it too.

I don't think an expansion pack will do extremely well on mobile. I assume that the completion rate on mobile is even less than on PC for such a game. But they know how many people bought the companion IAPs for their current games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well if SoD does sell 1 mil copies, PoE team can collectively shoot themselves or go find another line of work :D :D

Neanderthal

Arcane
How much do Beamdog pay out to WotC an whoever owns BG license now, as well as Steam an usual distribution charges? Might mount up to a fair bit, while Poe needs much less. Still got to agree for all praise Poe ant been doing the business.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I'd be very surprised if this sells half a million. I certainly wouldn't expect it to reach half a mil before it's been discounted to $5 in a Steam sale.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Dude, BG 1 has been kicking my ass. Archers destroy people and I'm having to come up with the most creative strats possible to take down spellcasters. Actually pretty damn fun tbh, I guess it's partially because of the SCS mod.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the new companions do stick out like a sore thumb. The writing is pretty obviously amateurish.

Namutree

Savant
EDIT: Oh yeah, and the new companions do stick out like a sore thumb. The writing is pretty obviously amateurish.
Eh, I think Dorn is ok. Rasad and Neera are cancer though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom