Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

This is fucking stupid. What kind of a retard designed this? Not nearly enough cargo space considering the size of the ship. So much wasted space. Captain's quarters are like 1/5 size of the cargo space.
Captain's quarters have to be that big to hold that giant e-peen.

Whiran

Magister
I figured I'd check in with Star Citizen's funding to see if the doom and gloom failure prophets were right.

They aren't yet.

Star Citizen is at 111 (and change) million raised. For perspective last October (2015) when the Derek Smart thing was in full swing Star Citizen was at 90 million.

In the past five months Star Citizen averaged over 4 million raised per month. The funding is slowing down from a peak of over 5 million in a month to around 2 million raised in March.

That's a healthy amount of funding. If Star Citizen "only had" ~8 to ~9 million in the bank back in early October (as per Derek Smart's claims) then Star Citizen would have a war chest of roughly 14 to 15 million in it now (assuming ~3 million / month in costs.)

The project is still healthy in terms of funding. I guess Derek Smart didn't torpedo it.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
How many new customers is the game actually attracting, though? From what I understand, there's a huge speculator's market of people buying and trading ships, and I suspect that's what's keeping the game afloat at this point.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I doubt that even half of those reported income stats on the site are correct...
Looking at that huge ammount of people Chris employs from day to day, they probably are. I don't think those hundreds of people are working for a few good words from Chris.

Whiran

Magister
How many new customers is the game actually attracting, though? From what I understand, there's a huge speculator's market of people buying and trading ships, and I suspect that's what's keeping the game afloat at this point.
The after market of the speculation market is outside of Cloud Imperium Games' revenue streams. The sales are directly between individuals. So whatever is happening there does not give money to Star Citizen.

I suspect it's just a big snowball of new people buying into the game (the number of "Star Citizens" continues to rise it's at around 1.3 million now - I suspect the number of "Star Citizens" has been mentioned before in this thread so you can figure out the growth from that if you really care to) and upselling to existing customers.

It doesn't take a lot of sales at $100+ USD to get to a million. That's only 10,000 to get to the million mark per month. With an existing customer base who has proven to be very willing to continue to pay hundreds for new ships and whatever else is being sold to them you only need to sell to less than one percent of the existing customer base to hit the million mark.

If they are upselling to 2-3% of their customers that explains how they continue to pull in a couple million a month. Combine that with new customers buying into Star Citizen the money trail makes sense. In that it is very achieveable and believable. As to why anyone would continue to buy into the game.. the power of hope and belief is incredibly strong.

When any organization can tap into a hope based revenue stream they have it made.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dunno if this small BBC documentary/news piece about the game has been posted yet?

The LA guy is by far the most annoying cuck of the lot.

Severian Silk

The terrain in that video looks better than ED. But that's all there is. You can't even leave footprints.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The atmosphere effects look really nice, I wouldn't say the terrain looks better than E:D yet

buzz

Arcane
I genuinely don't understand what makes some people moist about procedural planets. Oh look, vast empty lands of desert! Isn't that amazing? :eek:

I remember there were people who even complained about the lack of Mako "exploration" in ME2. Why? The Mako sections were boring and generic as shit.

It wasn't just the empty desert lands that made Tatooine interesting. It was the junk traders, the fear of getting ambushed, the seedy bar where you can hire smugglers and assassins. That's what made it cool, the encounters and story and characters, not the fucking landscape.

Fallout 1 is 20 years old and still is one of the best games in terms of atmosphere because it understood what drives people's imagination:

7GWcO.jpg

The fucking places and encounters, not the deserted empty land. So until those procedural landscapes stop being boring shit for traveling and actually have neat aliens and societies and missions to accomplish, it's just a waste of time and money.

Perkel

Arcane
looks like they are close to deploying their new animation system:
This video shows they removed almost all Crysis like junk from animations.

Also from technical perspective it is pretty impressive (though i doesn't look like that).

Basically their new animation system is based around kinetics, muscles and so on (think tresspaser) and almost every animation is procedural (probably with some key frames to which it goes back to). NPC will basically behave like ones from GTA4/5. They will cover faces, use hands to push, figure out way to get up properly.

It doesn't show on video completely because this is player driven character and they don't want to take away controls from you to make that character do things like above.

Last edited:

dbx

Arcane
Patron
What the hell. Did SC start spouting non sense about procedural stuff and wasting buttload of money on useless boring shit just to add a couple more buzzwords to their game ads?
Why wasting time on procedural planet and procedural animations instead of actually completing this thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom