Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Temple+ Support archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Is the Rogue actually trained in SoH or is that just from bonuses (dex etc.)? SoH cannot be used as an untrained skill, much like Tumble.

Whoops, that was it :). The 5 ranks threw me off... it was a halfling with max dex at 1st level. Didn't put any points there.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah, last thing I need is a crippling bug at the 90th minute :lol:

The (hopefully last) test release is going to be out in about ~20 minutes (when appveyor finishes building). It would have been ready much sooner if not for a series of tragic mistakes :P

The major innovation is the installation process. To properly test it, please clear the abovementioned My Saves folder (in particular templeplus.ini) to allow for a fresh install.

Then, once it's ready, download & run the file I'll post (TemplePlusSetup.exe). There should be a fairly quick background installation process, and then the Configurator will load up, which should also have a "Launch" button.

After that I want you to test the update procedure - I'll build a dummy update, and it should then inform you there's a new version when you load up the game.

Edit: crap, another setback... probably going to take another hour.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Alright, here it is:

https://github.com/GrognardsFromHell/TemplePlus/releases/download/v1.0-rc3/TemplePlusSetup.exe

Let me know how it goes and if it installs correctly so I can push an update.

Edit: had an issue with Win7.
Edit2: noticed some stupid issue with first time configurations, rebuilding...

Ok, should be alright now. (note that you should be able to get the update to rc3 automatically now if you already have rc2, though I'd like you to test a fresh install)

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Tried the first run on a relatively clean GoG installation (no co8)... it's been played, but not modified in any way. This is with RC3 linked in the top post (I didn't get to RC2 earlier). Win7 x64.

- I deleted the existing templeplus folder in users\...\saved games

- I ran TemplePlusSetup straight from my download folder, browsed to the correct installation path, entered a resolution, checked soft shadows, entered value for point buy, etc

- It correctly detects DLL patch 2 (GoG)

- After launching, I get the standard toee launch screen followed immediately by a CTD :(. The .ini. .log and a crash dump are written to ...\saved games\templeplus, as expected. Uploaded to Google Drive.

- No files are written to the selected toee installation directory

- The instance of TemplePlus.exe executed via the installer runs from C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\TemplePlus\app-1.0-rc3\TemplePlus.exe

- All of the files and folders associated with the temple+ installation seem to be present in the above directory. I can upload a list, if needed.

- I repeated several times, alternately leaving the ...\saved games directory and deleting it, with the same results.

I do have multiple installations of ToEE, so that's atypical, no doubt. These have been coexisting just fine for modding/playing, since toee doesn't make use of appdata directories and seems perfectly portable. Nonetheless, I'm inclined to take a look at that.

What's the intended behavior of the installer? Are you looking to copy files directly to the game installation, or run remotely from the appdata folder? I also don't see a shortcut or start folder entry being created, unless I'm missing it.

Edit: Ah, it does create a start folder, with shortcuts linking to ..\AppData\Local\TemplePlus\

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Tried the first run on a relatively clean GoG installation (no co8)... it's been played, but not modified in any way. This is with RC3 linked in the top post (I didn't get to RC2 earlier). Win7 x64.

- I deleted the existing templeplus folder in users\...\saved games

- I ran TemplePlusSetup straight from my download folder, browsed to the correct installation path, entered a resolution, checked soft shadows, entered value for point buy, etc

- It correctly detects DLL patch 2 (GoG)

- After launching, I get the standard toee launch screen followed immediately by a CTD :(. The .ini. .log and a crash dump are written to ...\saved games\templeplus, as expected. Uploaded to Google Drive.

- No files are written to the selected toee installation directory

- The instance of TemplePlus.exe executed via the installer runs from C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\TemplePlus\app-1.0-rc3\TemplePlus.exe

- All of the files and folders associated with the temple+ installation seem to be present in the above directory. I can upload a list, if needed.

- I repeated several times, alternately leaving the ...\saved games directory and deleting it, with the same results.

I do have multiple installations of ToEE, so that's atypical, no doubt. These have been coexisting just fine for modding/playing, since toee doesn't make use of appdata directories and seems perfectly portable. Nonetheless, I'm inclined to take a look at that.

What's the intended behavior of the installer? Are you looking to copy files directly to the game installation, or run remotely from the appdata folder? I also don't see a shortcut or start folder entry being created, unless I'm missing it.
Yeah, I just caught the same bug with vanilla installations. The crash is caused due to running the game with "usingCo8=true" when it isn't. I've fixed this internally, building again now...

It's also supposed to create a shortcut folder ("Temple+") in the start menu, which should contain Temple+ and the Configurator. Could you try uninstalling (via the control panel) and trying again?

Edit: Alright, built.

Last edited:

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Yeah, I just caught the same bug with vanilla installations. The crash is caused due to running the game with "usingCo8=true" when it isn't. I've fixed this internally, building again now...

It's also supposed to create a shortcut folder ("Temple+") in the start menu. Could you try uninstalling (via the control panel) and trying again?

Found the start folder and shortcuts. There's no entry in Control Panel -> Program and Features though.

Uninstalling manually and trying the new build...

EDIT: Scratch that... there is an entry in Control Panel, but the installation date is 1/2/2016, so it gets buried.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Alright, updated to RC4. Should fix the "usingCo8" handling. Please re-install.

That's better, up and running :)

The configuration settings I entered from the initial run didn't take... had to exit, run the configurator to reset the resolution and restart to change res from default.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Alright, updated to RC4. Should fix the "usingCo8" handling. Please re-install.

That's better, up and running :)

The configuration settings I entered from the initial run didn't take... had to exit, run the configurator to reset the resolution and restart to change res from default.

Chalking it up to some edge case since it works fine here... I think it's time to kick this thing out the door!

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Well that's nifty that it runs remotely :obviously:

I'll keep trying to break it, uninstall/reinstall on a co8 8.1 installation, etc.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Uninstalled via control panel and reinstalled, pointing this time to a co8 8.1.0 NC setup. Works just fine, with a few notes...

- The uninstaller left behind a few remnants, namely update.exe and a .dead file in ..\AppData\Local\TemplePlus as well as the log and ini over in the save game folder. I deleted these before reinstalling.

- Same thing happened where I had to exit the game and re-run the config in order to get a custom resolution set

- In the configurator, you might want to pad the space between the last option and the 'launch' button a little. I bump system fonts up a couple of pts (but not dpi scaling) for legibility. Don't know how common that is, but it looks like this...

5Ln2tj3.png

- The beautiful splash screen art whizzes by in a millisecond ;)

That's it for now... looking good. Not touching the installation directory is pretty smart and should save you some support headaches, I would imagine. Can you redirect temple+ save games to the user folder as well?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Uninstalled via control panel and reinstalled, pointing this time to a co8 8.1.0 NC setup. Works just fine, with a few notes...

- The uninstaller left behind a few remnants, namely update.exe and a .dead file in ..\AppData\Local\TemplePlus as well as the log and ini over in the save game folder. I deleted these before reinstalling.
Yeah, that's good practice, though IIRC only the ini file has any bearing.

- Same thing happened where I had to exit the game and re-run the config in order to get a custom resolution set
Is this only for resolution? Do the other configs also behave the same, like Point Boy / Windowed mode?
I think it might be the Temple+ "first run" behavior at work, which causes a reset to desktop resolution on the first run.

- In the configurator, you might want to pad the space between the last option and the 'launch' button a little. I bump system fonts up a couple of pts (but not dpi scaling) for legibility. Don't know how common that is, but it looks like this...

5Ln2tj3.png

- The beautiful splash screen art whizzes by in a millisecond ;)
Hehe yeah, I think I'll add it to the Configurator itself so people can actually enjoy it. Could use a visual overhaul in general as you point out...

That's it for now... looking good. Not touching the installation directory is pretty smart and should save you some support headaches, I would imagine. Can you redirect temple+ save games to the user folder as well?

Possibly, but we'll have to be careful to also search for saves in the usual place. It might also mix up saves from different ToEE installations (Vanilla / KotB / Co8 etc.), so we have to mind that.

BTW, you should probably remove tpdata from your ToEE installation folder. It might prevent future updates from having an effect.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Is this only for resolution? Do the other configs also behave the same, like Point Boy / Windowed mode?
I think it might be the Temple+ "first run" behavior at work, which causes a reset to desktop resolution on the first run.

Meant to check that but forgot (both times :)). Will do.

BTW, you should probably remove tpdata from your ToEE installation folder. It might prevent future updates from having an effect.

I did clean up all temple+ related things first.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Meant to check that but forgot (both times :)). Will do.

Yeah, just checked and it applies only to the resolution. I didn't notice because whenever I changed the resolution, I also happened to change it to Windowed Mode as well, which prevented the "set to desktop resoultion on first run" behavior from activating. Oh well, will fix.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
It might automatically delete these on a restart. So it might not be a cleanup issue.

5Ln2tj3.png

What version of Windows is that on? Those buttons looks kinda strange as does the window title bar.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
What version of Windows is that on? Those buttons looks kinda strange as does the window title bar.

It's Win7, but with a customized Aero theme (explorer frames, buttons, etc). It actually looks much better than in that cropped screenshot. Didn't notice the buttons, but you're right... they look like the win7 basic theme style instead of the Aero buttons.

The text cutoff in the bottom line went away for me at some point... reinstalling, running multiple times, entering values... not certain. I can recreate it by bumping the font size up 1pt though, which is why I mentioned it might be a little tight in some odd cases.

Booger

Educated
Am I the only one who can't get this to work at all?

When I launch Temple+, I see it in the task manager for a brief moment, and then it just disappears.

It doesn't create a log file, but here's the .ini it creates:

[TemplePlus]
toeeDir=D:\GOG Games\Temple of Elemental Evil
autoUpdate=true
hpOnLevelup=normal
pointBuyPoints=25
renderWidth=1920
renderHeight=1080
windowed=false
windowWidth=1920
windowHeight=1080
softShadows=false
maxLevel=20
usingCo8=false

I'm using Win10 64bit, i5, gtx960, nothing extraordinary. Tried running as admin, windowed, no autoupdate etc. Sorry I'd submit an issue to github but I can't really provide any meaningful data. Might try to debug this myself later.

Booger

Educated
Nevermind, it's just goddamn Bitdefender silently blocking the crap out of it. Works fine now!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Nevermind, it's just goddamn Bitdefender silently blocking the crap out of it. Works fine now!
I have Bitdefender too, so it may just be a matter of updating the database. Added to OP.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Also, first update is out fixing a few things. Run your game and let it download & install (you should see a status indication in the bottom right corner).

BTW, Heinous Hat check the config utility ;)

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Also, first update is out fixing a few things. Run your game and let it download & install (you should see a status indication in the bottom right corner).

BTW, Heinous Hat check the config utility ;)

Hey, you killed 2 birds with one stone... the pretty picture cleverly pads out the window height :D

The update went off without a hitch. My first thought was that it might be better to put an update button in the config tool with a notifier, but then, of course, you get people missing or lagging on updates (which are high frequency). So this is good.

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Save and logs uploaded for a crash when casting Summon Monster (v1.0.2)

To reproduce, cast Summon Monster I with the wizard (it's his turn). There's already a summoned creature present and a few active area spells (desecrate vs consecrate, silence). Playing around with it to see if there's some troublesome combination or order. The war dog that's already there is an instance of Summon Monster II.

This is during the Skeleton Priest encounter at Rainbow Rock.

Edit: Also, Ready vs Spell doesn't seem to be working... try it with the same save. Selecting RvSp with a ranged character has no effect when the skeleton priest casts a spell.

Last edited:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Save and logs uploaded for a crash when casting Summon Monster (v1.0.2)

To reproduce, cast Summon Monster I with the wizard (it's his turn). There's already a summoned creature present and a few active area spells (desecrate vs consecrate, silence). Playing around with it to see if there's some troublesome combination or order. The war dog that's already there is an instance of Summon Monster II.

This is during the Skeleton Priest encounter at Rainbow Rock.

Edit: Also, Ready vs Spell doesn't seem to be working... try it with the same save. Selecting RvSp with a ranged character has no effect when the skeleton priest casts a spell.

Thanks, fixed in 1.0.3. (unsurprisingly, both issues were related...)

Heinous Hat

Scholar
Thanks, fixed in 1.0.3. (unsurprisingly, both issues were related...)

Yup, all working well now.

Sitra, you mentioned a little while ago that you had improved the tooltip for fear based character conditions (where it simply shows afraid, instead of shaken, frightened or panicked). I don't see this being any different though. I'm looking at the hover tooltip when you mouse over a PC or creature... haven't gotten around yet to checking the little status pips on the character portraits.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
haven't gotten around yet to checking the little status pips on the character portraits.

You really should, because that's where I put it ;) It also contains more information in general, like remaining duration.

But yeah, I'll add it to the character hover tooltip as well.

Edit: Done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom