Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I like to post in this thread at the morning then come from work and see where the discussion goes from there when I left

it's down. all the way down.

Dyspaire

Cipher
I find it amusing to say the least that "current year" is apparently an argument used on the progressive agenda's favor. I've always read it as the exact opposite. It is BECAUSE we're in 2016 that we don't need this completely oversensitive and insane crusade for equality and acceptance, the western world is already inclusive and open minded. Not only because all the actual meaningful battles have already been fought (you know, the real ones, from the time they were really needed and that actually created space for groups of people, not some random girl tabbing from cat images on imgur to Microsoft Word, drinking coffee and thinking she's in the proccess of creating an utopia on Earth), it is also the age of the Internet, the biggest and most efficient bridge between different people the world has ever seen. Can't these people see we're way past this point?

Seems obvious to me they don't want to reach a conciliatory, reasonable status, they want to crush the breaking point of normality and shove a new form of reality down our throats. This is what's really going on, reality bending to please their will.

I never saw myself as a conservative, I never gave one single fuck to any of this stuff. Hell, I am a man of my century - wether I like it or not. However, this progressive agenda crap has hit me in the nuts so many times already, and with such an arrogant stance, that I am more and more moving to their side.

Congratulations Amber Scott and friends, you're truly managing to shape someone: you are forging a conservative on me.

Hear, hear.

Ah, our plural of жена is женЫ, instead of И vowel at the end we have Ы. Seriously though, given the IE engine in particular and oldschool RPGs in general popularity in Slavic languages countries couldn't they at least try and pick stupid Мужебаба analogue from, I don't know, some central African language? Or from another culture which doesn't give a fuck about RPGs and don't constitute a siginificant part of their customer base. Than again most Slavic countries don't have culture in SJW opinion, so I guess they don't think that there's cultural appropriation if they (mis)use Slavic words.

Yeah, about that (Polish references in TWitcher 3) - only Polish people get anything out of that (and what they DO get is dubious at best), I was at a composition workshop in France a month ago and there were a lot of students from different nationalities, one of them was from the Academy at Krakow. We talked about the Polish references in TWitcher 3 and he said that it accurately depicted some events of Polish history (which I think was the first time I had heard that), and I mentioned how I think that's pointless because they haven't used it in such context as to change the narrative structure, he surprisingly agreed. Simply copying elements from mythology is as pointless as "мъж-жена" existing in SoD, it doesn't mean anything in of itself, it has to be used to either drastically change the whole or carefully weave it in there. TWitcher accomplishes nothing of this and is just words to the wind in the end, exactly like SoD.
Well, let's agree to disagree then. There's historical fantasy (history comes first, fantasy second, must have attention to details to be good and plausible), and then there's folklore fantasy (Slavic fantasy, Xianxia novels, etc.) In the second ones you don't need to get all your historical and even cultural parts exactly accurate and make it the main focus of the narrative, they serve as a background. But that doesn't mean that folklore (for the lack of the better word) fantasy is less important, or always less good, or less needed than straight historical fantasy. Sapkowski's novels aren't historical, but he took some overreaching themes from both contemporary and earlier historical periods of Polish history and successfully incorporated them into his narrative. Moreover, many creatures and the whole ambience is heavily influenced not only by western mythology, but also by Slavic ones, and this makes in kinda unique. Anyway, I don't think that he (and by extension CDPR) simply "copied" mythological and historical parts without rhyme or reason, he successfully incorporated them into his world and story, so to compare Witcher with SoD is way off the mark, IMO.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Edwin turns into Edwina.. Elminster is transformed into a girl during his teenage years... and probably more things I can't think of.
Forgotten realms has tons of established examples of LGBT content.

Not so sure about that content being SJW-inclined... for instance, Edwin hates being a woman. If LGBT activists got their hands on the script, he would love it and want to stay that way (since women are the summit of Creation).

As for Elminster, that would be an instance of fanservice. Elminster is a naughty and self-insert character for many, he even screws the goddess Mystra at a time. Again SJW goons would hate that.

Those are proof that you can include tranny things WITHOUT catering to SJW/LGBT pressure.

I never said it was SJW-inclined. Drow Lesbians are also LGBT friendly but definitely not SJW friendly.
My point was that fans of Forgotten Realms have been quietly enjoying LGBT content for over 2 decades with no issues..

The narrative that every DnD nerd secretly hates LGBT content is crap. SJW Politic pandering can stay right the fuck out though.
Didn't some SJWs post those don't count because it's for amusement and is harmful by not addressing the INCREDIBLE STRUGGLES of trans people?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, let's agree to disagree then. There's historical fantasy (history comes first, fantasy second, must have attention to details to be good and plausible), and then there's folklore fantasy (Slavic fantasy, Xianxia novels, etc.) In the second ones you don't need to get all your historical and even cultural parts exactly accurate and make it the main focus of the narrative, they serve as a background. But that doesn't mean that folklore (for the lack of the better word) fantasy is less important, or always less good, or less needed than straight historical fantasy. Sapkowski's novels aren't historical, but he took some overreaching themes from both contemporary and earlier historical periods of Polish history and successfully incorporated them into his narrative. Moreover, many creatures and the whole ambience is heavily influenced not only by western mythology, but also by Slavic ones, and this makes in kinda unique. Anyway, I don't think that he (and by extension CDPR) simply "copied" mythological and historical parts without rhyme or reason, he successfully incorporated them into his world and story, so to compare Witcher with SoD is way off the mark, IMO.

It's kinda more complicated than that. It doesn't matter what words he writes, where he takes them from or how successfully he incorporates them, it's how he uses them to *shape* the whole in relation to other attempts. It really isn't easy to explain what that even means. Bartok used folklore music to drastically change the "language" and structure of his entire compositions (but you have to be familiar with what came before, that's why it's difficult to explain, you need the whole context of Western musical tradition to understand it,), while Sapkowski's is just window dressing since there is nothing truly unique in the Witcher books or games that matter. It's just elves in Poland basically, wo-hoo. This "otherness" (which I don't feel at all btw) of the atmosphere simply comes from our not-familiarity with Polish culture, but if we start examining it from a different perspective and in the context of a bigger picture it doesn't push neither literature nor games forward and it's pandering of a different sort, just one that most people won't see. That's where the comparison to SoD is apt, even if Sapkowski is more competent that the ever-progressive Amber. If Sapkowski or CDPR were literary geniuses the world would know, trust me. Also, I don't think the Witcher games have very good writing, far from it. It's better than SoD though.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Now that we mentioned Drow lesbians, I'd love an RPG where it all takes place in Drow society, HotU is kinda like that but it's from the perspective of an outsider. I'd like to be on a quest for Lolth for example or be a priestess trying to climb the ranks, or a man trying to prove himself in the matriarchal society of the Drow.

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
Now that we mentioned Drow lesbians, I'd love an RPG where it all takes place in Drow society, HotU is kinda like that but it's from the perspective of an outsider. I'd like to be on a quest for Lolth for example or be a priestess trying to climb the ranks, or a man trying to prove himself in the matriarchal society of the Drow.
Wasn't there a NWN mod like that? I seem to remember one...

EDIT: Yeah here it is for NWN2...

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/hunt-through-dark-remastered &
http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn2/module/lolthanchwi

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane

I don't know, I haven't come across it. If you can find it I'd love to check it out.

EDIT: Oh, wait! I think I remember it, I think it started on a battlefield in the Underdark, but I don't remember what you were doing there.

GrainWetski

Arcane

Here it is for NWN 1
http://neverwintervault.net/project/nwn1/module/hunt-through-dark-xp-edition

Delete all the other posts and just let Lacrymas & Stainless Veteran talk about language and storytelling. I hear there might be a writing position opening at Beamdog soon...
Ack. Thanks, bro, but sadly (or not, 'cause Edmonton really does have something in the water which turns people into :dgaider:) I'm both Russian (literally CIS-country, lel), straight and christian, it's probably like (Triple) Axis of Evil for them or something. And I fear that the language and prose discussion will be swiftly moved to Retardo.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Didn't some SJWs post those don't count because it's for amusement and is harmful by not addressing the INCREDIBLE STRUGGLES of trans people?

Well, I saw some quote around here of somebody saying that the sex-change girdle was actually a transmysoginstic or phobic (whichever) joke.
So basically any sex-change thing in fiction is evil unless it deals with trans problems.

Here it is for NWN 1
http://neverwintervault.net/project/nwn1/module/hunt-through-dark-xp-edition
It's kinda sad that we will never have ADwR part 2 developed further, if only Valine would have polished and updated it, while expanding Underdark part - it could've been great.

Theldaran

Liturgist

First we have to rescue D&D from the sinkhole it's gotten into, and make it relevant again. Then we gotta shove some reason into WotC's heads and grant the computer license to someone who knows what the fuck he's doing. Last, we gotta keep SJWs at bay.

pippin

First we have to rescue D&D from the sinkhole it's gotten into, and make it relevant again. Then we gotta shove some reason into WotC's heads and grant the computer license to someone who knows what the fuck he's doing. Last, we gotta keep SJWs at bay.

Why not just be done with D&D and create something new?

Theldaran

Liturgist

Yeah, because D&D is rather FUBAR.

Lacrymas

Arcane

Because that worked out so great for PoE, while the other AA RPGs just fell flat in the writing department. UnderRail and AoD have potential, but we need more games to explore and expand their settings further (hint, hint). We just need better writers in this industry, that all. MCA and George Ziets can't support all of gaming.

GrainWetski , Crazed Weevil thanks for the links I'll definitely check them out.

Reinhardt

Arcane
And don't forget lesbians.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom