Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beastro

Arcane
The ani-LGTB sentiments on the codex always seemed to be in good fun but lately it seems like it has been taken over by a vocal minority of idiots who take crusading against anything even slightly gay as serious as the SJW's flauning around their agenda at every possible moment. Is this place filled with conservative Russians trying to shove their old skool "values" down our collective throates or what? Or are this just basement dwelling nerds who are really this bored and cantankerous?

Wtf are you rambling about/

People are mad at the way the NPC is presented and the underlying agenda, not the sexuality of the character itself.

If the case were as you present we'd have been seeing people rambling on paranoid about Edwin's curse being some tactic to normalize such shit, or other things like Cloud's little adventure with gays in FFVII decades ago being used as a tactic to introduce such a lifestyle into gamers minds like weirdos seem to think is the case with Teletubbies and Pokemon.

The fact is those were put in without an agenda to push, so it never raised anyone hackles. The fact that Beamdog has reacted in the way it has only shows how much that was put in specifically to push an agenda that has taken the issue beyond one simple NPC and as an issue endemic to the game as a whole.
Can you remove me from that quote, I never said that and you misquoted me for someone else.

Too late now, the edits locked.

I try my best to trim them right that sometimes slips up. Looks like the quick reply keeps old replies around that then get those quotes added to the top, so when i trim everything but the first named quote the name gets mixed up, it's very annoying having to pay attention to it, I almost did the same thing to the quote below this.

Video games have always had politics, even though you weren't necessarily aware of them back when you were a kid. Most of the old action games made in the 80s were full of "right-wing" values, such as military worship, "hyper-masculinity," us vs. them themes, traditional gender roles - including the popular female roles that Sarkeesian made her career out of, and classic male power fantasies. The developers weren't necessarily conscious of what they were putting in, because they simply followed the popular culture of their time; but that, itself, had plenty of politics.

And they're pretty fucking freshing to watch because of that.

Caught Transformers on a retro cartoon channel years ago and was surprised to see this episode: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808826/?ref_=ttep_ep15

The story would have went in the complete opposite direction today, which was the Autobots flatly telling the pacifists some fights need to be fought because some enemies are unreasonable and will kill you if you don't resist with violence.

Beastro

Arcane
I don't think that's right. Just because there exists a more alien "Other" does not make it so that humans stop being racists between themselves.

Example: Africans are racist as fuck against each other despite the presence of white people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_Caliphate

The Umayyad Caliphate exhibited four main social classes:

1. Muslim Arabs
  2. Muslim non-Arabs (clients of the Muslim Arabs)
  3. Non-Muslim free persons (Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians)
  4. Slaves
The Muslim Arabs were at the top of the society and saw it as their duty to rule over the conquered areas. Despite the fact that Islam teaches the equality of all Muslims, the Arab Muslims held themselves in higher esteem than Muslim non-Arabs and generally did not mix with other Muslims.

The inequality of Muslims in the empire led to social unrest. As Islam spread, more and more of the Muslim population was constituted of non-Arabs. This caused tension as the new converts were not given the same rights as Muslim Arabs. Also, as conversions increased, tax revenues from non-Muslims decreased to dangerous lows. These issues continued to grow until they helped cause the Abbasid Revolt in the 740s.[47]

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
It's a lot more than one, dumbfucks. You keep bouncing between me/carl/sjw bullshit/gg bullshit/the actual game. It's great. Far more entertaining than the game itself. The original of course, not the bastarded revision.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
It's like this moment at the end of the movie, when the hero finally comes back home after trying so fucking hard.
I'm glad you guys finally remotely mentioned celerity, he was suffocating for the last few pages out of the total lack of attention.

Beastro

Arcane
You could easily link it to the Elves. Have a game in the FR setting, maybe have a few human NPCs standing around reminding you of how cool and diverse the elven race is, but then have every single Elf you meet in the taverns, on the fields, in the dungeons be a ticking timebomb, a bloodthirstsy lunatic with murderous intentions, prone to flying into rages and killing women and children at the slightest provocation. Give them diverse backgrounds and motivations, make sure the only connecting factor is their racial background and you'll eventually teach players to be extremely distrustful of every elf they meet. And they would be right every time. The wider setting of the FR would still be full of "normal" elves, but the player characters could be taught to doubt that in the context of that particular string of adventures. You'd condition them towards racist thought.

Could have miscegenation supernaturally weaken and threaten to destroy elves, giving them an existential reason to react violently to it.

I know this isn't what was being asked ("make racism good") but I remember reading about early European sailors in East Asia who used to regard the Chinese and other locals as backwards cultures way beneath them and mocked their traditions and way of life. This included stuff like regular bathing, as these were pretty rough and filthy sailors who didn't believe in these laughable foreign habits like bathing every day.

Those weren't sailors talking, just those they transported.

Sailors intuitively learned more than others that being clean kept disease away even if they still thought it tied to smells, which is why they were so obsessive cleaning decks.

That, plus it's hard to not stay clean when you spend every waking moment on deck working in whatever the weather sends your way, sun or rain.

It's like this moment at the end of the movie, when the hero finally comes back home after trying so fucking hard.
I'm glad you guys finally remotely mentioned celerity, he was suffocating for the last few pages out of the total lack of attention.

Who?

:lol:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Lack of attention? I get plenty of it, then come here and see the rage, which I point and laugh at before continuing on my way. And then I come back and there is more, and back again and there is more still. It's fantastic. I will have you fucks raging for years, mark my words.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's funny how Beastro started out with "it's not that, it's this"-claim and then proceeded to rant and rave for a dozen posts, mostly utterly non-related and complete bullshit as well, proving that Gay-Luc and co were absolutely right: that for some folks, it's not about bugs or poor writing, it absolutely is about crusading an ideology. Going 100% Lyric Suite is just as damaging and retarded as going 100% clueless SJW.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
It's funny how Beastro started out with "it's not that, it's this"-claim and then proceeded to rant and rave for a dozen posts, mostly utterly non-related and complete bullshit as well, proving that Gay-Luc and co were absolutely right: that for folks, it's not about bugs or poor writing, it absolutely is about crusading an ideology. Going 100% Lyric Suite is just as damaging and retarded as going 100% clueless SJW.

Both sides are focusing on that degree of the writing and often in mangled ways. Everyone's focusing on that angle too because it's the only interesting one to attack/defend. Being a buggy mess or shit writing isn't amusing unless it's really, really bad.

Cassidy

Arcane
It's a clearly inferior "fanfic" grade expansion of an already overrated old RTwP Bioware CRPG with such great and important new features like a Story Mode, worse writing, higher linearity, worse graphics, incompatibility with most mods, etc. What's left to do besides enjoying the drama caused by the delusional and retarded SJW agenda being pushed by it and the attempt to throw the original one down the memory hole?

pippin

That much is already known, but we're already in the "deadline" of the game. It's safe to say it was a failure from a sales perspective, esp. considering these guys wanted to get a 1:1 buying potential. I'd be very surprised if they have sold more than 5000 copies overall. That's the only tangible truth in the end, the only one that really matters. I just want to see Beamdog burn now.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on what you mean by "overrated" tbh, since everyone is saying that it isn't all that great.

That's the only tangible truth in the end, the only one that really matters. I just want to see Beamdog burn now.

It only matters to them, in the end what TRULY matters is our perception and evaluation of it, it can actually change how other writers approach writing in this industry.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
That much is already known, but we're already in the "deadline" of the game. It's safe to say it was a failure from a sales perspective, esp. considering these guys wanted to get a 1:1 buying potential. I'd be very surprised if they have sold more than 5000 copies overall. That's the only tangible truth in the end, the only one that really matters. I just want to see Beamdog burn now.

Im guessing they sold more than 5k, perhaps due to sjw campaigning (Anita was too busy with her own scam though) or perhaps thanks to fans who somehow can look past the sermons.

As long as there is a clear signal that blatant sjw corrupted shit doesnt sell (well), it would be a result, i dont wish bankruptcy or unemployment on anyone (well, maybe Amber). The real test will be Ghostbusters, if that tanks it would be 1-0.

Also i read somewhere that wotc issued their token statement supporting the narrative that all this controversy over one npc with 4 lines is bad and beamdog have their full support (just as n-space i suspect).

Art Vandelay

Prophet
BG wasn't some top tier, iconic game series in setting, plot, characters and writing, this board will be the first to tell you that.

It's all relative,wise man once said. Bg writing, story and plot,while not as good as PST for example ,is still top tier compared to this beamdog shit.Those fucks are ILLITERATE, thats the fucking problem with their stupid shit game.Do you understand? You agenda pushing,stupid piece of shit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Top SoD achievement rate is now 0.6% of BG:EE players. That translates to at least ~2500 Siege of Dragonspear owners on Steam.

Weasel
Makes one wonder how soon it will go on sale. On the other hand, this was Trent's view on BG2EE pricing on mobile, when they didn't even make the base game in question, so can only imagine his thoughts now

Schreier: It was a little disconcerting to open up the game and immediately see [In-App Purchase] characters, particularly when the game alone costs $15, which is generally considered a high price for this platform. Are you guys not worried about turning people off with this stuff?

Oster: Great question, I'm going to go a little ranty on this so, be forewarned: I'm a firm believer in value and I think the $0.99 app period is ending. $0.99 was a price point used by new developers and new franchises to capture users and attention. Eventually $0.99 apps came to dominate the App Store as the race to the bottom hit the logical endpoint. The only way to beat $0.99 apps was to go free, so a number of groups went free, forcing the bottom even lower. To compensate they built apps which are exclusively designed to bleed money out of users using a large bag of tricks. To me this doesn't seem like a good value to the game player.

From our perspective, an epic 100+ hours of adventure told in a rich rules system and built upon a great setting is worth a great deal more than $0.99. We put in the in-app purchases as a means for us not to make more money, but to drop the price point for the main game down to the $14.99 price point (the same game on PC is $24.99). With the volume of content between Baldur's Gate II, the included Throne of Bhaal and the new characters and their associated adventures I think we're delivering a huge value for the price, even with all the in-app purchases.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's been on the "popular" list on GOG for a while now, but since GOG doesn't share sales figures (I think) we can't know how it's doing there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zorba the Hutt It's funny how for people who really hate Beamdog's content, the mobile versions of the Enhanced Editions are actually superior since some of their companions aren't in the game until you buy them.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
It's a lot more than one, dumbfucks. You keep bouncing between me/carl/sjw bullshit/gg bullshit/the actual game. It's great. Far more entertaining than the game itself. The original of course, not the bastarded revision.

Who's Carl? That crazy Planescape Torment and Daggerfall fanboy?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Expected more outrage from unsolicited gay gnome flirting tbh. Guess it was already posted~

Yes, and it's not unsolicited. You choose the flirty options, you get flirted with.

The romances doesn't really fit with the base game when this expansion goes for so little if you're only playing BGEE.

Eh, Tales of the Sword Coast had the first Bioware romance.

e6bRbql.png

T470tPJ.png

0kPn2NC.png

Mareus

Magister
Well, the SJW disease seems to be spreading.

I posted a Metacritic review giving the game originally a score 5/10 - which I think was more than fair considering all the controversy, bugs, writing quality, etc. I even recommended the game - as long as you don't mind "in your face" political agenda! Then my Metacritic review was deleted! Same day I was banned from Beamdog's forums under false accusation of spreading hatred and trans-misogyny. I also found a few articles misrepresenting valid critcism as hatred towards transexuals by Jim Sterling, Gawker and the usual suspects! So I wrote another Metacritic review - lowering the score from 5/10 to 0/10 due to crappy treatment from the developer and them trying to censor people ALL OVER THE FUCKING INTERNET! Developer's treatment of their customers is a valid point to consider when buying a game, for fuck's sake!

Metaritic_Censorship.png

Now I find out that not only has Metacritic removed my review again, but what is worse, they have removed all my Metacritic reviews and banned me from commenting ever again! This here is a blatant attack on freedom of speech! SJWs have been trying to censor internet for years now and luckily the constitution does not allow for it! However, they are now getting into private companies and are censoring content on completely unfounded accusations! If a small company such as Beamdog can influence Metacritic to do such a thing, it won't be long before every gaming company starts using SJW as an excuse to censor dissenting opinion. If anyone knows any big Youtuber who is willing to talk about this, please let him know of what is happening!

NOW I AM REALLY PISSED!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom