Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New 4X game Polaris Sector released....

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
actually 3 biggest titles are going to be with real time battles - stellaris, endless space 2 and moo4

if you complain about this ...
I'm complaining about your lying. There is no moo4.

There's a shitty remake of moo1 but that's it.

rvm1975

Educated
Master of orion 2 was not a 'sequel' to 1 either: completely different game mechanics. Same goes for moo3. So moo4 is fine for that new game. It is official 4th game in "master of orion" series

Some things exist behind your ...

ps
and typing moo:cts too much

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Anyway I've looked into this game, it looks promising. Basically a Stardrive clone but better executed. Will buy.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Master of orion 2 was not a 'sequel' to 1 either: completely different game mechanics. Same goes for moo3. So moo4 is fine for that new game. It is official 4th game in "master of orion" series

Some things exist behind your ...

ps
and typing moo:cts too much

It didn't have completely different mechanics. It had some differences sure but they were sequels in exactly the same way Civ 2 is a sequel to Civ. Even more since they had backstories that linked them together.

No one ever called moo2 or 3 a "reboot". This is a reboot.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The new MOO game might be a reboot but if you don't distinguish it from the original game you only validate the shitty practice of just naming a sequel the same as the original. It's technically the fourth MOO game so MOO4 is fine, rather that than in effect replacing Master of Orion with the new shit so you have to specify that you talk about the old good game whenever you want to discuss it.

As for Polaris Sector I haven't played enough of it to really form an opinion but it's pretty neat so far.

Voight

Novice
Anyway I've looked into this game, it looks promising. Basically a Stardrive clone but better executed. Will buy.
This isn't Stardrive clone. It's a remake of old (1997) Russian 4x strategy "Remember Tomorrow" that basically started as author's attempt to bring it to newer systems.
Bought it for nostalgia purposes and so far enjoying it.

rvm1975

Educated
I really impressed by automation and details level. For example if you want to colonize something just click and select colonize ... then colony ship will be queued and built on nearest industrial planet and automatically sent to colonize and in some cases colony ship will be additionally forwarded to some other planet to pickup population

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
This isn't Stardrive clone. It's a remake of old (1997) Russian 4x strategy "Remember Tomorrow" that basically started as author's attempt to bring it to newer systems.
Bought it for nostalgia purposes and so far enjoying it.
I bought it too. It's pretty much exactly like Stardrive, but worse. Not that Stardrive is original anyway, it's just MOO2 combined with the real time element of Pax Imperia after all.

Thoughts so far: timescale in general is way off. It takes 3 years just to travel between nearby stars. I thought these ships had hyperdrive? Takes an entire civilised planet years to build a corvette? Same with the population, how can a homeworld only have 100k population?

Stars have at most 3 planets. This is bullshit. I was cautiously fapping at the 900 stars thing, but it means nothing if there's only 1 or 2 colonisable planets in a system.

Even on Medium, alien empires churn out ships like a sausage factory, and they can reach way further than their fuel range should allow even if the entire hull was fitted with fuel tanks.

Research is a random mess - this was one of the things I DIDN'T like about MOO3, you don't just pick a technology to research. This reminds me of MOO3 "tech tree", it's just bullshit sliders. Yes you can prioritise but otherwise it takes 30 years to get some random-ass tech.

Combat is broken, basically fighters and bombers > everything. Especially in the first 70 million years it takes for you to get to the first shield tech.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I really impressed by automation and details level. For example if you want to colonize something just click and select colonize ... then colony ship will be queued and built on nearest industrial planet and automatically sent to colonize and in some cases colony ship will be additionally forwarded to some other planet to pickup population
Exactly like in Stardrive.

Taliensin

Educated
finished my first playthrough and the impression is....meeeeeh. Fun game with a lot of good ideas but not enough of anything, too few choices, the tactical combat is shallow and the design system would be good if there was any point in equipping anything other than the latest thing in the techtree most of the time. The one reason to grab it is to play with the "external threat" option on,i can't remember the last time that a game's big bad boogieman actually curbstomped me

Norfleet

i can't remember the last time that a game's big bad boogieman actually curbstomped me
I can't remember anything like this either, but the Boogieman in Stardrive 1 was pretty damn mean. When they started showing up, I went from a situation where a single one of my battleships could curbstomp an entire enemy fleet without even scratching the paint to where every world had to be mobilized to churn the thing out on loop just to stay alive. The fleet ballooned from its former size of 5 to 500 over the space of the next few minutes.

Unfortunately, the lag that resulted from this brought the game to its knees shortly later.

Taliensin

Educated
never finished a playthrough in stardrive as the silliness thing was too much maybe i should revisit it then, not that i LIKE getting kicked in the head but with the antarans being the pushovers they are in moo 2 and 3 having the equivalent of the shadows from b5 killing your stuff is strangely satisfying

the "big boogieman" is the subject of two of galactic civilizations 2 events. both the most annoying thing ever.

Taliensin

Educated
we can always hope for a distant worlds II (or that pararadox will stop charging for patches allowing people to buy stellaris without feeling dirty afterwards for encouraging them)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
That's Paradox's business model, basically f2p. Except they charge for the base game AND charge to make it playable where normal f2p only charges you to make it playable.

Taliensin

Educated
if only, HoI3 is STILL unplayable for example. And they have this amazing idea that having every new dlc destroy mod compatibility will make people buy the "have a dog,seduce your son's wife,grow turnips" patch for 19.99 instead of buying the full game on sale if at all.

rvm1975

Educated

when all is ok except something

1460536807-3882a52f8e87d50b997320ba99f40bf4.gif

Norfleet

So....what's wrong there? I don't see anything wrong with her feet that the camera seems to focus on.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So....what's wrong there? I don't see anything wrong with her feet that the camera seems to focus on.
Only idiot would use socks in sandals.

And cute woman should be barefoot on bed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom