Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Surprisingly the majority agrees with the review... but thats part of the neogaf hype cycle routine...

1. Pre-release, they hype it to no end, bestest shit ever to be shit
2. Release day, they make a new thread with all kinds of cool shit in the first post, custom images, gifs, videos, whatever
3. Post release, this shit is truly the bestest shit ever, everyone who dissents is ostracized or even banned
4. Post post release, this shit is the worsest shit ever, how can anyone like this shit? anyone pointing out that they hyped the shit to no end, is promptly banned.

Every fucking major release is like this, they arent even self aware that they do this, its too pathetic to even be funny.

lol Kem0sabe shitposting in the NeoGAF thread

How so? The moderators and staff for the forum include:

1. At least one guy who is openly gay
2. A jew
3. A furry
4. A middle aged virgin recluse that lives somewhere in california and deals meth out of his computer repair shop
5. A german (bavarian) right wing women
6. At least one polish car thief
7. An australian convicted criminal, rumored to finance the site as a means of money laundering
8. A transexual, not sure if post op or pre-op (refuses to post pics of genitals)

As you can see, its an assorted mess of degenerates, criminals and minorities.

Also, the codex doesnt have an opinion on any given game, theres no consensus, no hivemind, anyone can send in a review for a game to posted on the front page, heck... they are still receiving reviews for PoE a year after release.

Gaffers continue to have the impression this place is a den of satanist child molesters. :smug:
Is that a response to the reply about how the Codex treats gays?

Yeah, Codex treats gays and minorities like shit according to Gaffers.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I remember seeing the first reply to someone saying "how so?" was a non sequitur about Gamergate.

dieu

Learned

I'm a little late to the party, but:

I understand that RPGcodex is going to look at it from a roleplaying point of view, but even that becomes twisted up angrily at times. Like that little toy soldier given by McReady, where the author notes "My quest reward. Notice the helpful note that it can be scrapped into ceramic.". That's not how a roleplayer should look at things. That looks more like how an angry and spiteful player would look at things. Brandis' holotags, Danse' holotags, toy soldiers, little mementos and one-of-a-kind items - I keep these around. I place them on the table beside my character's bed, I meticulously arrange them. I like roleplaying.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
i8Q26z0.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
...so this is what role-playing is? I've been doing it all wrong this whole time.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
It takes a lot of imagination to RP on FO4. I can give that guy/grill atleast that I guess(assuming it can be considered a compliment)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
You have to roleplay the character suffers from post-partum depression to justify trekking around looking for landmarks instead of chasing kidnapped newborn son.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Yay being late!!

In all seriousness, I agree with the review, I was only able to stand it for 10-20 hours. Which is terrible for me playing a game.

Azarkon

Arcane
Whenever I ask myself "why do I even visit RPG Codex/this shitty site" I always remember that other places on internet are filled with infinitely more/bigger retards.

:negative:

Reddit is actually considered the most "elitist" of the big, public internet communities... But that's equivalent to saying that their shit smell the best.

Below Reddit, there is:

4chan
Tumblr
Youtube

Probably in order of decline.

Veelq

Augur
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Reddit thread has now overtaken the Codex thread in post count. More proof that our front page is going mainstream.

As for the visitor bump, so far it's been pretty modest:

JpT8fNV.png

IIRC, Roxor's PoE review got a few thousand more than that.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
We'll have to disagree, then, on the writing. As someone who has made his living writing and editing, and as an academic makes his living essentially on good communication of information, yeah, I stand by my opinion that's a terrible article.
Academics are the worst fucking writers on the planet. Too much Derrida will completely skullfuck any chance you had at being a decent writer.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
More Reddit comments:

Yea because the 5 hour long Fallout 1 cRPG that "totally isn't dated to anybody who isn't 60 years old" or the "dank memes everywhere" Fallout 2 didn't have any flaws, right? Or how about Fallout 3 and New Vegas with their laughably bugged release states and terrible combat/gameplay?

Fallout 4 is fine for what it is, I can guarantee most of those jaded autists haven't played FO1 or FO2 recently because if they had they would see how dated those games are to anybody not severly blinded by nostalgia, Fallout 1 lesser so because the experience is over rather quickly by RPG standards. I don't get it, the games RPGs mechanics were blatantly streamlined but wasn't that the exact same case for the Witcher 3? Did anybody play Witcher 1 that had some of the deepest RPG mechanics i've seen back then or Witcher 2 that had consequences change whole literal segments of the game? Yet Witcher 3 doesn't get shat on, shit, Fallout 4 is significantly more of an RPG than Witcher 3 yet it gets far more criticism.

Fallout 4 has its problems but so did every other Fallout game and frankly, if they can implement more RPG elements in the expansion packs then this could easily be the best Fallout game to date. The gameplay/combat is just too damn good to the point where I literally can't go back to the "weightless" guns that were in New Vegas no matter how good the writing was. It's also hilarious how people bitch and moan about how you couldn't "make the Institution shake hands with the Railroad" yet you couldn't do the exact same shit with the NCR or Legion in FO:NV.

No, all I see is a hugely successful game get criticized because "that's what's cool right now I guess" by the same idiots who play the game 24/7.

I think people looking back at games with rose-tinted glasses has really broken the comparing of games. Let's admit it skyrim was better than anything made in 1990 because the technology is better and trial and error has lead to it. People who think the original fallouts are better games are judging by nostalgia because you could basically get the same experience out of build-your-own-adventure book. The thing that separates games from movies and books is gameplay and the choice aspect. Fallout has the best gameplay to date taking many features from other games including the modding of guns and even creating new ones like the quickloot system that makes the looting in past games seem archaic and a chore. Also fallout 4 has 4 endings that actively influence the game unlike nv. After you chose you did your thing in nv it was only reflected in ending slides. However, in fallout 4 if you destroy the institute for the brotherhood you will see the grip the brotherhood is gaining on the commonwealth. They will have bases everywhere and will be patrolling and be a constant presence. I'm not saying the fallout 4 is surely the best because that's your own opinion, but it is surely my favorite.

Any article with a title starting with a number followed by the word 'shocking' can pretty much universally be assumed to be a steaming pile of shit without bothering to read it as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I'll go ahead and respond to the 13 points:

• The main storyline is completely unsuitable for an open world game
This is opinion, not fact.

• It's a 100+ hour shooter, with all that entails
And?

• A solid equipment system is hampered by poor game balance
The author's comments on this basically boil down to "the guns in this game aren't as cool as the guns that were in other old (non-Fallout) FPS games I played in my youth, therefore they suck.

• Enemies have a few new tricks, but they're still not very interesting to fight
Opinions are like assholes, as was evidenced in the author's comments for #3.

• The world looks better and more varied than Fallout 3
I concur. It comes down to the huge variety in the buildings, I think.

• The player-built settlements do not add anything interesting to the game
I disagree. Also, once again, opinions are not fact. The author's dislike of this feature is irrelevant, and his reasoning behind his opinion is, again, personal taste.

• The UI is still built around the Pip-Boy
Fucking really? I'm fairly certain the game has 'Fallout' in the title...

• The character system is based on a good idea, but it fails in execution
When your commentary for this bullet point starts with "Here's a controversial statement for you" that generally indicates that you're making a controversial statement for the sake of making a controversial statement, and said statement is therefore full of shit.

• The dialogue system is a terrible mistake
The author vomits a hell of a lot of words to say nothing more than that the dialogue system leaves something to be desired. While I disagree with the excessive verbosity, I actually agree with the underlying opinion in this case.

That makes one.

• The companions are ineptly presented and primitively designed
I disagree. I also disagree with the author making this statement and then propping up his argument with two filler paragraphs followed by three paragraphs full of complaints about how the camera works during conversations...

• A few decently designed side quests are ruined by the atrocious writing
Five goddamn paragraphs that basically come down to "If I don't like this, nobody should like this." There are very few RPGs that are truly well-written, and the author seems to worship those that were and hold them on a pedestal of perfection that won't allow him to enjoy anything that doesn't meet those standards of perfection...

• I don't know what Fallout 4's setting is supposed to be about
Let me help: it's the first Fallout game in which the whole premise of the vaults being individual experiments is shoved right in your face from minute one.

• Fallout 4 is a bad game
Sorry you feel that way? There are plenty of people who disagree with you.

Clickbait title = shitpost article. Without fail. The tremendous word count following the clickbait title doesn't change that.

This guy sounds like a fucking tool. He regrets the 100+ hours he spent playing the game? Why did it take this fucktard 100 hours to realize he hated the game?

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
And comments on my Steam thread: http://steamcommunity.com/app/37716...53417028/?tscn=1460349831#c371919771754542965

I like fallout 4, I also keep a book nearby me since with most games, i read during unskippable cutscenes and loading screens. I am not unintelligent for not sharing your views. Neither is anyone else. Probably..
I agree with a lof the stuff the reviewer says, too. I think Fallout 4 is a failure as a Fallout game, as an RPG, it pales against the FPS mechanics of games like Far Cry and it doesn't have the world building of Mass Effect. It's a cut-rate STALKER. It's like being a kid with a toy, you make your own fun, because it's yours. You can do that.

And isometric turn-based strategy RPG's have as much to do with Fallout 4 as Dragon Age, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Final Fantasy or even, etc. Games are different and Fallout 1 and 2 aren't coming back, it's why Wasteland 2 exists. I hate turn-based games, they're something that i could never get into outside of pokemon when i was 10. I see the merit in them though, and I don't go to the wasteland or Diablo forums and post reviews telling them why they should sell their copy, "If you like this game, then the developer is just going to make more like it, and that upsets me."

Do i think Bethesda should listen to the fans? Yes, and that's why I post on the bethsoft forums where actual devs and PR people respond. And they should be held accountable.

As for people responding to this thread and arguing, it's because no one needs to tolerate your biased, one sided argument, people who are considering this game are going to see this thread and they have every right to read and consider the critique of the reviewer, you the person who has no evidence of playing the game, and players who actually enjoyed the game. If you disagree, too bad, you have every right to post your vitriol, i'll defend to the death your right to it.

I don't really care about the games you prefered Coral even if i appreciate i could look into them later. However i never said "mods will fix it k" If you read the most of my post and went on to me it's garbage and all. I am not naive neither did i say i was doing that thinking. I said the Base was a bit dissepointing and hopefully DLCs will make up to it. But i said in the end to just be bloody glad we even have this game Bethseda or not if it's interesting to me i'll snatch it. (even if i am hostile against Ubisoft mostly with their games)

But seriously please don't make this thread "THE BEST REVIEW DO IT OR GET SHOWERED" Just ♥♥♥♥ off please. Why can't we just appreciate the games today?

You should realise that RPG is a broad genre. Although I do believe the new dialog system somewhat limits it, making your character the person you want that character to be is what an RPG is to me. I even used to protest the fact that Borderlands (2) is considered an RPG, though now I realise that it certainly has RPG aspects given the large amounts of gear to choose from

Just from a writer's perspective, this review is full of logical fallacies, reductive arguments and copious amounts of grandstanding on nebulous moral of authority.

This is a common problem with game reviews, especially in the elitist niche tier like RPG codex. They want to sound smarter than they are, when breveity is the soul of wit. I blame Yahtzee for accidently popularizing the contrarian perspective. But at least Yahtzee has made games before, and therefore actually knows what the terminology means.

Seeing how you obviously pirated the game, your word has no merit at all.

And Age of Decadence? Really?

Bubbles
Maybe the reason why the visitor bump has been modest is this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/37716...53417028/?tscn=1460349831#c371919771756194670
Yeah, lol. Again, this is elitist, reductive hyperbole for dat sweet ad revenue clicking. It's why I always use google archives to find reviews, and use Adblock. These sensationalist turds don't get any cash from me. I whitelist those who have intellectual integrity, regardless of if I agree with them or not. (Jim Sterling for example. SJW Feminazni slimeball, but he's intellectually honest and internally consistent, and that's all I ask)

See, but this demonstrates the author's ignorance of game mechanics. The Workshop (Which also ties into weapon modding) is the main anchor of the game economy. It's a sink to invest (and destroy) liquid game assets, thus keeping the economy curve in check for an extended (But not indefinite) period of time. This is a necessary part of any Open World Game where the player character is essentially a limiteless loot producing engine.

So again, you can see here, while author may not like the system, his points are actually objectively false. This is that Moral-Authority argument I was talking about. He's trying to sound like "he knows because I am reviewer" when in reality, all those words could be replaced with "I didn't like the Workshop."

Bethestards have problems to notice that I'm not you Bubbles.
Its not a review, its an opinion, or rather, a bash. There is no validity to hsi claims either, as he does not even own the game. And before he squirm out by saying he owns in on a console - he clearly states in his 'review/opinon' that - he expected a game with world building to have decent mouse support and that the game and UI feels like a bad console port.

So again, why argue the points of a pirate?

Yeah, the "review" was just an one-sided bash that didn't even bother to discuss the strengths of Fallout 4, and yes there are many strengths. There is no way a "bad game" could have won DICE's Game of the Year, the most prestigious award given out for video games.

Most of the criticisms are also invalid because they only focus on what the author likes and wants. HE doesn't like the humor that's been evident in all Fallout games. He wants more skill checks and the old system. He doesn't seem to understand that Fallout 4's character system is built around perks. Instead of leveling up your gun stats, you pick a perk. The SPECIAL abilities are the checks to qualify you for perks. The perks completely replace the old skills category and are there to allow a more varied character progression. You might not like the new system, but a fair review would discuss the merits of the new system.

In short, this is just another hater that doesn't like sandbox open-world games like Fallout 4. He mentions problems with Fallout 3 and NV, which leads me to believe that he doesn't like those games either. He hates settlement building and says it doesn't add anything interesting to the game. That remark alone tells you everything you need to know about this review.

A user named cat

Obviously there was going to be some butthurt generated by this review. Of course these shit taste nuteens are also the special type of dumbfucks to bust out the "nostalgia goggles" arguments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom