Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Leonard Boyarsky has joined Obsidian Entertainment

Ramireza

Savant

Great! Now pls finish gam.

And don't let Sawyer touch it either.

Funny. This is about 12 years old now and looks way better then the ugly mess called Wasteland 2. And it includes an day/night cycle (Wasteland 2 has none). Fucking Inxile amateurs.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Funny. This is about 12 years old now and looks way better then the ugly mess called Wasteland 2. And it includes an day/night cycle (Wasteland 2 has none). Fucking Inxile amateurs.
Double funny, probably would play better too.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Please spoiler your pics.

zHlGR0i.jpg

What is good about AP?

Writing & dialogues are trying too hard and inconsistent in quality. Story is a mess. Combat is very poor. Level design is bad to boring. AI is laughable. There is no spying as a gameplay element as all the missions are designed around console shooter mechanics with mediocre uninteresting stealth elements added as an afterthought (for a fact, as anyone who kept track of the follow up to the release will remember). It is an embarrasingly mediocre game without any spy genre conventions in its gameplay elements. Quite a sad thing for a game that says "espionage rpg".

The only good things I can say about the game is that the characters are memorable, CYOA structure is entertaining with a few okayish C&C bits and that you can go through the game rather fast. Can probably finish it once in one sitting. Overall, it would have worked so much better as a visual novel.

Alex

Arcane
What is good about AP?

Writing & dialogues are trying too hard and inconsistent in quality. Story is a mess. Combat is very poor. Level design is bad to boring. AI is laughable. There is no spying as a gameplay element as all the missions are designed around console shooter mechanics with mediocre uninteresting stealth elements added as an afterthought (for a fact, as anyone who kept track of the follow up to the release will remember). It is an embarrasingly mediocre game without any spy genre conventions in its gameplay elements. Quite a sad thing for a game that says "espionage rpg".

The only good things I can say about the game is that the characters are memorable, CYOA structure is entertaining with a few okayish C&C bits and that you can go through the game rather fast. Can probably finish it once in one sitting. Overall, it would have worked so much better as a visual novel.

I think you give the game too much credit. I gave up on it after that part where you are on a plane and the annoying reporter (or whatever she was) begins to ask questions. The characters were rather annoying, and I kept thinking the most important C&C would have been the option to tell them to shut up.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM!
melnorme asked: Congratulations on your promotion. Does it actually mean anything, though?
Josh Sawyer:
It means I’m responsible for helping with overall design direction at the studio. I’ve always talked to designers on other teams about their work, but now it’s part of my job. I talk to individual designers at all levels about challenges they’re facing and what they’re trying to accomplish. I also talk to producers and game directors about high-level design direction and focus. I try to play our games regularly to give feedback on specific issues I come across as well as areas where a team is doing well. I help review all incoming design applications and sit in on as many design interviews as is reasonable.

Currently I’m revising and updating old documentation that covers basic design principles that Obsidian has used and continues to use in our games. Obsidian is a lot larger now than it was ten years ago. Tribal knowledge only goes so far and all standards documentation needs to be regularly reviewed.
Cf0F7F7W8AAfWHe.jpg:large

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
All ze standards must be reviewed, jawohl!
Ve need ze Ordnung! Balance macht frei!

ArchAngel

Arcane
CONDUCTOR WE HAVE A PROBLEM!
melnorme asked: Congratulations on your promotion. Does it actually mean anything, though?
Josh Sawyer:
It means I’m responsible for helping with overall design direction at the studio. I’ve always talked to designers on other teams about their work, but now it’s part of my job. I talk to individual designers at all levels about challenges they’re facing and what they’re trying to accomplish. I also talk to producers and game directors about high-level design direction and focus. I try to play our games regularly to give feedback on specific issues I come across as well as areas where a team is doing well. I help review all incoming design applications and sit in on as many design interviews as is reasonable.

Currently I’m revising and updating old documentation that covers basic design principles that Obsidian has used and continues to use in our games. Obsidian is a lot larger now than it was ten years ago. Tribal knowledge only goes so far and all standards documentation needs to be regularly reviewed.
Cf0F7F7W8AAfWHe.jpg:large
DEAR GOD!! WHY?!?!?!?!!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom