Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Stellaris is rather cheap for a preorder.

40 bucks, that's supposed to be cheap? I could buy food with this... or an actual trip to space, like goddamn Lord British
People from western rich countries are thinking that's cheap. These poorer are preferring not removing it from inventory.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If you can't afford it, pirate it. Don't let such things as actually buying games, stop you from enjoying them... Remember that all that shit on your steam list is not actually yours, and valve reserves the right to take it all away.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, I live in Australia.

Where a 'normal' release is ~$60USD. Dark Souls III, for example, is $59.99USD (current Steam price). Doom is $80USD. Grand Theft Auto V is $75USD. The Division is $62.

EUIV was $45. Stellaris ended up costing me ~$36.

Yes, that's cheap. Not only currently, but historically (I still remember the halcyon days of $99.95AUD games, when the AUD was equivalent with the USD).

Don't know what issue you took with the 'enjoyed without DLC' part.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
That's 25% cheaper at best. Not cheap at all.

EUIV was so shallow at release it could have been a cheap browser mini-game and coded in flash. The price for the production value was already outrageous. Even now after a dozen 15$ mini DLCs it's not even close to resembling a complete, thought out game. Paradox's design philosophy is to release a blank state then have a dozen designers of average intelligence play multiplayer sessions over the years to figure out what features to introduce. Lots of back and forth with no coherent design vision ensues.
Fans then slurp it all up, call them the bestest developers ever for occasionally updating their games. With overpriced dlcs.

That said
Yeah, I live in Australia.

My condolences.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
As someone else posted previously, any company that on release day of a DLC has DLC for that DLC, is shitting on its entire playerbase.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As someone else posted previously, any company that on release day of a DLC has DLC for that DLC, is shitting on its entire playerbase.

65880520.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Their excuse has always been that coders dont have much to do once the game enters the 'gold' stage and artists even before that.

Not sure how relevant that is in the age of digital releases tho.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Their excuse has always been that coders dont have much to do once the game enters the 'gold' stage and artists even before that.

Not sure how relevant that is in the age of digital releases tho.
All their patches and dlc have been horribly buggy and unbalanced at release, it would be better for them to delay and for once have the dlc unit packs and music included in the base dlc release. They just don't care

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One of the core ideas behind Stellaris is the "End Game Crisis" - Instead of simply steamrolling everything once you're big, there wiill be something happening towards the end of the game that will demand all your attention to survive no matter how powerful you are. Self repliciating nanobots taking over sounds like a typical end-game challenge.
Sounds like a typical SotS copy to be honest

dag0net

Arcane
missiles are a bad bet for long-term deployment, in the first place because warhead and fuel source need to remain stable for whatever length of time the mine is expected to remain deployed, in the second place because improvements in ship technology may well render them [the particular missile or torpedo system installed] quickly obsolete, not to mention the tactical options employable against suspected minefields.

a self-maintaining rail gun utilizing a kinetic 'battery' on the other hand...
A normal energy source for a missile is Pu. Have you seen current prototypes of propellant free drives? They still don't have any ideas why they are working.
But even when missile would want a reaction mass for fast acceleration, a Bi is a solid metal and it's excellent for being propellant. Methane works kinda too, depends on type of drive.

i suppose that depends on what we'd be defending with minefields, i'd never want a megaton range+ explosive warhead with a drive deployed anywhere near my own inhabited space, even if had 99% confidence they could not be hijacked or duped. guess i was also foolishly thinking of plutonium as being quite expensive.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Moms Spaghetti, Ayy Lmao Federation, Super Birds, Irenic Monarchy, AI Overlordship, Soviet Union, Cyclotropia, Holy Dominion, Bonkers, Aryan Empire.

:what:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Paradox stated on their forums that they consider initial QA to be just to cover major bugs. Johan or some other guy said that it was easier to accumulate community bug reports rather than hold a game on QA just because a single day after release accumulates hundred times more human-hour testing than any quality control could even eachieve. While I can understand their reasoning that still sound like bullshit.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Paradox stated on their forums that they consider initial QA to be just to cover major bugs. Johan or some other guy said that it was easier to accumulate community bug reports rather than hold a game on QA just because a single day after release accumulates hundred times more human-hour testing than any quality control could even eachieve. While I can understand their reasoning that still sound like bullshit.

They have like 4 man dev teams so...

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
EUIV was so shallow at release it could have been a cheap browser mini-game and coded in flash.

We'll agree to disagree.

List the features back then. You took a province, cored it for an absurd amount, and moved on to the next neighboring nation. You painted the map and ended the game at lvl 15 adm tech.

Trade was broken, AI armies were broken, colonization was boring, naval combat was broken, ideas were broken, coalitions were broken, most nations didn't have ideas or events, it didn't have any of the other features added on top in those updates.

It's quite telling that they use an alienware laptop.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
2 PDFs, a signed wallpaper lol, a zip file with music that you can rip from game, a forum icon and avatar lol, and an exclusive race they will sell as DLC later.

Fucking paradox, how can anyone defend these cunts.

oscar

Arcane
I'm pretty excited for Stellaris but I'd love a return to the actually meaty expansions of the HoI/Vicky era than this atrocious DLC model. I think the 'fairest' thing to do would be buy the base games but when all the DLCs start adding up to something like $150 dollars than yeah get torrenting. Sends the message 'we like your games but cut out this nickle and dime crapola'.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Signed wallpaper :lol: the new levels of decline are just piling on, how far will it go ? Next is signed toilet paper ?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The worst thing is i might actually get the big version. I am a fucking mark.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom