Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

abija

Prophet
About those features from D3 or PoE, it doesnt matter - what matters is that those are ARPGs with a focus on solo gameplay ( you can party but game doesnt support in any way but allowing it ). WoW is an MMORPG that should be focused on social gameplay.
So? It fits where they added in the game, and it applies to dungeons not solo play?
Seriously, how exactly is improving challenge modes bad for the game in any way? Didn't people qq difficulty is only available for raiders since forever?

Fuck reason, there's a bandwagon of shit talk to jump on...

Cromwell

Arcane
The Garrisons went away?

Nope. They're pretty much universally reviled by the players, which is why it is funny they are being brought back as a mandatory part of the levelling process.

People thought we'd be back in Dalaran with other players doing the whole mmo thing. Instead we'll all be in our instanced "command room" or whatever they'll call it in our class instance. Playing a Facebook game while waiting for our instanced 15-minute Diablo 5man corridor to pop. Then we'll run through the same corridor for the 50th time with 4 strangers. In silence, because talking is unnecessary and delays everyone from getting their token purple and going back to their Facebook game.

At least when you segment everyone away in tiny instances, you can keep the bandwidth requirements at a minimum, maximising the amount of marrow they can suck or of the bones of wows corpse. Abandon all hopw, ye who d1p.

This is the point where I would have said: "At least we still have Nostalrius".

:negative:

I cant imagine players sitting in the garrision all day is worse then them sitting in City X all day. For me one of the main issues I stopped playing (apart from leeching the crrent expanson for free and playing for a few hours) was the whole fnder stuff which started with lichking. Of course the game feels even emptier than before if they all hang out in the garion but without it it wouldnt change much.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Cromwell
Not going to disagree too much. But at least in the previous expansions, dailies made people do a tour around the world every now and then. The only time during levels 90 to 100 my priest saw another player was when I queued for a dungeon to get high enough level for the next zone starter quest line

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
LFG and LFR was way more cancerous to wows community then garrison was/is. Still was a shitty idea and made most professions obsolete.

Veelq

Augur
About those features from D3 or PoE, it doesnt matter - what matters is that those are ARPGs with a focus on solo gameplay ( you can party but game doesnt support in any way but allowing it ). WoW is an MMORPG that should be focused on social gameplay.
So? It fits where they added in the game, and it applies to dungeons not solo play?
Seriously, how exactly is improving challenge modes bad for the game in any way? Didn't people qq difficulty is only available for raiders since forever?

Fuck reason, there's a bandwagon of shit talk to jump on...
I can imagine that as a good thing in MMO ofc. Challenge modes can be good in both ARPG and MMORPG because both type of games should challenge the player/s. So if Blizz did this part well in Legion then im fine and happy for all the players. But it shouldnt be the focus of MMORPG, social gameplay should because its an Massive Multiplayer game. It shouldnt be the focus of ARPG either.
But what i see is WoW having problems with being an MMO game and Path of Exile doesnt with being an ARPG.

Veelq

Augur
Challenge mode is a feature that can enhance the focus of the game. It boosts the fun in PoE because the game still wants to be an ARPG. WoW doesnt want to be an MMO anymore with those changes. So the feature is good, just wont work for the current WoW in the long run.

To put it simply - i agree with you ( yes its weird feeling on Codex, i know ) that challenge mode as a feature is a good thing.

Zetor

Arcane
Reiterating my earlier post, but City of Heroes had a far more elaborate custom difficulty / challenge system (in 2004, natch). I'm pretty sure it counts as an MMO...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The great engine of MMORPG decline is still chugging along, and wouldn't you know it? Codexers are still playing it. Someone jokingly suggested that falling subscriber numbers have been the result of casuals departing, and I know they must have been joking because the number of hardcore WoW players was a statistically insignificant fraction of the playerbase to begin with.

It seems the train has lost a few more railcars since I last shitposted in this thread two years ago, and that a massive downward spike prompted Blizzard to stop releasing subscriber numbers. It was a sensible move, because they can only generate bad PR for the game from now on.

On average, the game has lost approximately 108,000 subscribers per month since Q4 2010, at a fairly steady rate other than the WoD spikes. If that trend continues, then in less than four years' time the subscriber base will be a skeleton crew. I imagine subscriber numbers will plateau at some point around the the 1-2m subscriber range, and bleed subscriptions much more slowly from then on; in the meantime, Blizzard will introduce additional microtransactions to bolster profit margins.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Man I am seeing a lot of WoLK is the best shit ever online. I really really really disliked WoLK, it's when I first started to get bored of WoW, didn't like Death Knights, found the new quests to be terrible, I much prefer the kill 30 boars, collect 12 livers quests.

I raided into Naxx in classic and loved it.
In TBC I didn't raid until very late, doing some Karazhan pugs, but I played the shit out of it, lots of alts, and then lots and lots of world pvp (ganking like an asshole) when Isle of QQ came around.
Then WoLK came and I couldn't get into it, too much quests that involved reading stuff and doing stupid shit in instanced zones.
Then Cata came around and that sparked my interest again, I liked reviting the old zones that were changed yet still felt different and at the same time fresh enough to play some of it, just spend time levelling alts.
When pandas came around I got the xpack but didnt really play it, logged in a few times but no guildies were ever on.
Now it's april 2016 and just started playing worlords and so far I am having fun leveling a fresh priest in dungeons. Couple things I hate.
NOT A SINGLE WOW FRIEND FROM THE OLD DAYS SEEN ONLINBE!
Couldn't get a single guild invite to get some goddamn heirlooms, every guild I checked in guild finder seemed to be dead for a long time
Took me goddamn 2 hours and 3000 gold to get 4 (!) sings for my charter to start my own guild
Community is fucking DEAD, it's so unpersonal.

But I really like the way the game plays, playing my disc priest is a cuntload of fun. I actually like all the QoL/Casualisiation quite a bit, cause as cliche as it sounds I don't have the time and energy to put as much into WoW as I could back in Vanilla/TBC days, and I am still getting quite a big amount of enjoyment out of it.

Level 65 now, and I am sure if I ever run into some fun people in game one of these days I might actually stick around quite a bit.

So fuck the haters, get a job and a haircut, things change, deal with it.

ps I have had a few wodkas and am buzzed so pplz bear with me.

DDZ

Patron
other mmorpgs I played, for reference:
warhammer online (shit)
age of conan beta (shit)
might have forogotten one or 2

Revenant

Lol, there is no chance for Blizzard putting up official legacy servers because:

1. This would be Blizzard admitting that their current game sucks and the previous iterations were much better;
2. It would require considerable splitting of resources to maintain the old version of the game along with mainline WoW;
3. It would discourage players from buying new expansions;
4. As evident from Old-School Runescape, not that many people would actually play on the legacy servers in the first place.

Cromwell

Arcane
What is the draw of these Vanilla servers if you have extensively played vanilla when it was live? You have seen and done everything, with various alts, and the game cant progress since bc isnt vanilla anymore, there cant be anything new? Or do I miss something about these private servers?

Veelq

Augur
Read this before you read anything else that involves Mark Kern

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1tuf3c/this_is_why_mark_kern_was_removed_as_ceo_by_red_5

tl;dr Mark is a complete tool.
Yes he looks like a tool but the idea of vanilla servers is not his idea. Its a community's idea. So i guess he just jumped on this train for whatever reason, fame?
And i dont think Blizz will listen to this Nost thing too, but the train is still going after the shutdown.

DDZ

Patron
What is the draw of these Vanilla servers if you have extensively played vanilla when it was live? You have seen and done everything, with various alts, and the game cant progress since bc isnt vanilla anymore, there cant be anything new? Or do I miss something about these private servers?

Nostalgia.

Aildrik

Savant

I would add Community as well. There used to be one on every server. That pretty much died long ago.

Aildrik

Savant
Lol, there is no chance for Blizzard putting up official legacy servers because:

1. This would be Blizzard admitting that their current game sucks and the previous iterations were much better;
2. It would require considerable splitting of resources to maintain the old version of the game along with mainline WoW;
4. As evident from Old-School Runescape, not that many people would actually play on the legacy servers in the first place.

As evident from Nostalrius and countless other Vanilla servers, there is clearly plenty of demand. I can't even imagine you would need any maintenance would you? Once they publish the servers and finalize the code to where it was in Vanilla I am pretty sure that would be it, because making any refinements beyond how the game existed at the end of Vanilla would essentially make it non-Vanilla. You get the good with the bad.

I think the expansion loss thing would be countered by the influx of players who wanted to play specific era content. I mean, imagine a player who hangs out in Vanilla with his guild for a year. And then said guild moves over to TBC. Blizzard could even sell services like xfering your toon over to TBC from Vanilla.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about #1 though. I think Blizzard knows that strong interest would amount to a damning repudiation of where Blizzard has gone with WoW. I could even envision a server list where classic servers are all listed as "FULL" while the newer shit is all LOW population.. lol.

I think Blizzard is really losing out on a shit load of $$$ by denying that this demand is there. I will go even further by saying that if you want to make the argument to Blizzard, pointing out the $$$ aspect is probably not a bad way to argue the point.

Ninjerk

Arcane

As evident from Nostalrius and countless other Vanilla servers, there is clearly plenty of demand. I can't even imagine you would need any maintenance would you? Once they publish the servers and finalize the code to where it was in Vanilla I am pretty sure that would be it, because making any refinements beyond how the game existed at the end of Vanilla would essentially make it non-Vanilla. You get the good with the bad.

I think the expansion loss thing would be countered by the influx of players who wanted to play specific era content. I mean, imagine a player who hangs out in Vanilla with his guild for a year. And then said guild moves over to TBC. Blizzard could even sell services like xfering your toon over to TBC from Vanilla.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about #1 though. I think Blizzard knows that strong interest would amount to a damning repudiation of where Blizzard has gone with WoW. I could even envision a server list where classic servers are all listed as "FULL" while the newer shit is all LOW population.. lol.

I think Blizzard is really losing out on a shit load of $$$ by denying that this demand is there. I will go even further by saying that if you want to make the argument to Blizzard, pointing out the $$$ aspect is probably not a bad way to argue the point.
I suspect a good number of the current senior developers are those that have risen above the level of their competence thanks to the buyout.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most of the key people who worked on Vanilla WoW are either gone or working on other stuff. I shudder to call Tigole and Furor key but, hell, even Tigole doesn't work on WoW, anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom