Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does Graphical roguelikes have future?

Snufkin

Augur
I have been playing graphical RL's for some time now since i hate ASCII types. Games like DoomRL, Tome4, Sword of the stars: The Pit, Dungeons of Dredmor or FTL have good graphics, are easy to get into, and they provide most often more fun then big titles done by huge companies. So what you guys think?
http://www.ftlgame.com/

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Both DoomRL and TOME don't had any graphic until recently.
Also TOME 2.3.5 > TOME4

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sure, why not. Infra Arcana and Caves of Qud are my favorite Roguelikes and the tiles used in both games really add to the atmosphere of the game as well as make it less painful to play. I can't do ASCII shit anymore. There's just no excuse to not use tiles anymore.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Yes, as long as there are roguelikes there will be graphical roguelikes. Probably even more now that they're starting to see some commercial success being sold on steam to the masses.

Nipslip

Novice
Sure. Good graphics will pull in more users, and old timers will like them too.. Unless they really need that nostalgia trip..
I personally prefer good graphics and audio.
Dragon fin soup seems pretty interesting for instance.. It was on sale today on both Humble store and Steam.
Not sure if I will get it or not.. I still have not played much TOME and some other stuff I have in my library..

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
since i hate ASCII types

Massimo.jpg

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
and old timers will like them too.. Unless they really need that nostalgia trip..
Most of tilesets that I saw were complete shit. 80x25 also can show larger maps than tilesets that are still discernible without eye squeezing.

Nipslip

Novice
Most of tilesets that I saw were complete shit. 80x25 also can show larger maps than tilesets that are still discernible without eye squeezing.
Alrighty then..
I still prefer a better graphical representation like the ones mentioned in the op and the one I mentioned.. over ASCII..
Gameplay, depth and story is more important than graphics, but if you can have both I am not complaining..
But that is the beauty of gaming, there is something for everyone..

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Caves of Qud is to be named alongside Nethack, Angband and Adom. It's just that good.

Lhynn

Arcane
Most roguelikes have at least as much gameplay depth as the GOTY 2015, Underrail. Bump!-bump!-bump!-bump!-bump!...
Stop lying. Tons of shitty roguelikes that have no real depth. Considering any asshole can make them this is bound to happen all the time.
You are either incredibly misinformed, ignorant to the bone or just trolling. And this coming from a dude that has barely scratched the surface of what roguelikes can offer.

Mustawd

I guess all of us here always conveniently forget nethack?

Cmon Lhynn. Unless you're talking about modern tablet trash. Yeah sure.

Same thing applies to platformers. There's a million of 'em. But the genre is doing the pretty well with some good standouts in the last 5 years.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
To ignore your question since it confuses me I will just say that I hope the genre makes some adjustments to be more crpg-like. TOME has some quests but not enough direction, I bought but haven't played the newest expansion so don't know how that is. I don't like plain rogue-likes such as The Pit and haven't played much of the old ones since I need more of a hook than have fun trying to stay alive. I will have much more fun trying to stay alive playing ToEE or Wiz8 on ironman.

Also, the lines are blurred with the rogue-lite and rogue-likes and survival games. The difference between survival games and rogue-likes seem to be a focus on crafting. Both like "player generated content" or "player driven content" which is modern slang for no content. If content were added to some of these games they could be worth playing. I don't understand the whole building aspect and why people like building shit that has no combat application, but I also can't understand why people love playing dress up in games. It comes down to people are weird.

But keep in mind I only like rpgs. I don't play platform games or fpses or other monkey shit, unless they have heavy rpg elements like Dex for example. And content. Content makes a game an rpg. These other games like dungeon crawlers are just games trying to be rpgs while trying to jip everyone by not including content. I mean content as direction, quests, towns, npcs, shops, shit to do between combat.

Nipslip

Novice
Roguelikes don't have these things either.
Well, naturally a Roguelike will not have the same scripted story as a completely linear game, since most Roguelikes are randomly generated at least to some extent.
But, there can be story in them too.. (and if R.A Salvatore or some other creative dude did not write a story for the game, you can always use your imagination to tie it together, but yeah, that is another thing..)
As far as depth goes, there can be real depth in the character creation and progression system, and game lore. I have not played TOME much, but there seems to be plenty of content there..
Gameplay goes hand in hand with the depth of the combat, which is there too, with all the tactical options presented to you.. and all the perils..

So I disagree..

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Roguelikes don't have story (save Ankardia, close the Gate of Chaos, lol), but they are all about gameplay and have a lot of depth. At least major ones, not these roguelike-lite abominations.

Snufkin

Augur
All games i mentioned in my first post are easy to get into, and i find it to be best thing about graphical roguelikes. 10-20 minutes and you are already hooked and keep playing. Only graphical RL i cant get into is The Binding of Isaac . Atmosphere is way to sickly for my taste, even for a rpg where you usualy fight rats etc.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
All games i mentioned in my first post are easy to get into, and i find it to be best thing about graphical roguelikes. 10-20 minutes and you are already hooked and keep playing.
You should try best graphical roguelike then, Oblivion. It so graphical and much roguelike.

You played jack shit of roguelikes and you spout complete bullshit. DoomRL! FTL! The Binding of Isaac! Real roguelikes, oh my!

Mustawd

All games i mentioned in my first post are easy to get into, and i find it to be best thing about graphical roguelikes. 10-20 minutes and you are already hooked and keep playing.
You should try best graphical roguelike then, Oblivion. It so graphical and much roguelike.

You played jack shit of roguelikes and you spout complete bullshit. DoomRL! FTL! The Binding of Isaac! Real roguelikes, oh my!

Pacman and Space Invaders are other good roguelikes you missed.

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Gameplay, depth and story is more important than graphics

Well other games don't have your player dying because they became doomed from drinking from a fountain, then a giant lizard steps in and smashes a god's altar, god tries to punish it by zapping it, zap hits you instead because you are doomed, before dying you hear a booming *SORRY, MISSED*.

ADOM. Trolling players since 1994.

Severian Silk

Roguelike gameplay is arrowkeyarrowkeyarrowkeyarrowkeyarrowkey.

MisterStone

Arcane
Gameplay, depth and story is more important than graphics

Well other games don't have your player dying because they became doomed from drinking from a fountain, then a giant lizard steps in and smashes a god's altar, god tries to punish it by zapping it, zap hits you instead because you are doomed, before dying you hear a booming *SORRY, MISSED*.

ADOM. Trolling players since 1994.

This is not actually a problem because whiny wus-babies are not the target audience of old school RLs. :troll:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
IVAN is a good non ASCII roguelike you should try. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom