Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Sizzle

Arcane
A recommendation by Brian K. Vaughan :D

I remember Fiona's PoE fan art being posted in another thread here.

50GoOu2.jpg

Shevek

Arcane
Durability was supposed to be the systemic money sink to keep the economy balanced but everyone hated it and told Josh that they didn't care if they were drowning in gold by endgame (and some in fact prefer it). So he stopped caring.

Yup, I was one of those folks. Being a pauper is cool early on but by the end I think it's fine to be a rich bastard who freely pisses away gold.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Durability was supposed to be the systemic money sink to keep the economy balanced but everyone hated it and told Josh that they didn't care if they were drowning in gold by endgame (and some in fact prefer it). So he stopped caring.

Why not make it optional then? I dont get why most games only have singular difficulty sliders. There should be many more options. Ressource scarcity, ironman mode, combat difficulty, dialogue difficulty (with higher stat checks, more failstates by saying dumb shit) survival mode, riddle difficulty.

Things like that. Only games that did it right were Fallout 2 and System Shock 1.

Its fucking lazy gamedesign to just provide us with one single slider that determines everything in the game. I am one of those people who hate being too rich in an rpg. It ruins an important part of the game for me. Give me options to avoid that problem.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dont get why most games only have singular difficulty sliders.
Probably it's because it would be a horror to QA even a reasonable amount of all the combinations of difficulties. Not counting having to write the logic which turns on/off certain elements, even if you've already had designers go through all the content and assigned under what difficulty will some item be visible.

The reason you are too rich in RPGs in general is that you are playing as a completionist. No one is making you collect all the loot.

And the reason you are too rich specifically in PoE - degenerate "vacuum-cleaner" gameplay is encouraged by the developers with the infinite inventory they like to call "Stash". Josh Sawyer even said in an interview with Arvan Eleron that they didn't implement item carry restrictions because "the majority of players didn't want them". It's on Eleron's youtube channel.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pillars already has a bunch of toggles that make up expert mode.

If we inserted option switches for every game element a subset of players wanted to toggle, it would become Option Switches: The Game. Looking at the load order discussions of the "average" F:NV PC mod user should indicate that's a battle that, practically speaking, can't be won.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pillars already has a bunch of toggles that make up expert mode.

If we inserted option switches for every game element a subset of players wanted to toggle, it would become Option Switches: The Game. Looking at the load order discussions of the "average" F:NV PC mod user should indicate that's a battle that, practically speaking, can't be won.

They still should have added a separate toggle for the PotD +15 Accuracy and Defense buff. BG:SoD has done that with its own difficulty levels, so maybe there's a chance they'll add it for PoE2.

Atchodas

Augur
Some of those options are just something that should have been enabled by default for example : Maim option is absurd , basically if this is turned on your companions wont die even after they health Reaches 0 , OH COME ON ... they dont die in combat when endurance goes to 0 , and now they dont die when health goes to 0 , god forbid you gonna loose Grieving Mother on your journey -_-
Other half of them is stupid Expert mode Shit

Anyway currently there are two ways to make PoE PoTD a challenge , first of them is going with Iron Man , Maim Off , Knockout Injuries but not "upscalling" white march, preferably going there early , and the second one is playing without Trial of Iron , staying in act 2 as long as possible so you can enable high level scalling for both expansions and act3 then at lvl 9-10 you have to really pick your fights and there are actual endgame content ahead, all the way up to lvl 16 .

One should never use Expert mode unless you want some pathetic achievement , turning off stuff like Recovery bar is just stupid and removes tactical depth from the game .

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Some of those options are just something that should have been enabled by default for example : Maim option is absurd , basically if this is turned on your companions wont die even after they health Reaches 0 , OH COME ON ... they dont die in combat when endurance goes to 0 , and now they dont die when health goes to 0 , god forbid you gonna loose Grieving Mother on your journey -_-

I've had it ON tbh. What difference does it make, you're going to load the save anyway if companion dies. You have to camp or backtrack for supplies if it happens, so it's not like there's no downside of them reaching 0.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
So (for some reason) I'm playing this again to see the White March stuff. Anyway went back to the Codex Cool Club and saw they still have not put in the item descriptions that Crooked Bee had us submit. WTF is that about? Who the hell cares about Don Paco's Codpiece of Endurance if you cannot see the back story!?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So (for some reason) I'm playing this again to see the White March stuff. Anyway went back to the Codex Cool Club and saw they still have not put in the item descriptions that Crooked Bee had us submit. WTF is that about? Who the hell cares about Don Paco's Codpiece of Endurance if you cannot see the back story!?

Cool Trick.. Close the doors so Jaesun and Vault Dweller can't see what's going on..
Then murder Crooked Bee right outside the club.. she drops exceptional leather which is like amazing that early game.

(Basically if the doors are closed you won't turn them hostile.)

RIP Little Bee. :smug:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's what I'm there for!

Yeah, that was too much work for them apparently.

Atchodas

Augur
I just recently noticed Darozzi Paladin Longsword of In'Claene sadly its just an exceptional sword :/

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
That's what I'm there for!

Yeah, that was too much work for them apparently.

Yeah copy/pasting those 15 items would have taken away from the balancing I guess.

Dorateen

Arcane
Level 7 is a good time to start the White March Part 1. Then bounce back to Dyrwood and finish up stuff there. Save Cragholdt Bluffs and White March Part 2 for end game content.

Yeah, honestly, as others have noted, the game still suffers greatly from the ease of over leveling content. I'm currently about half(?) way through WM2 and headed there straight after starting Act 3, but my whole party's been sitting at level 16 since finishing Endless Paths right before triggering Act 2's end. It's not a deal-breaker, and I realize it's only a big deal for hyper-completionists like me, but even with the high-level scaling the game is painfully easy for the most part. Thus far the only difficult encounters I've seen in the last 10 hours or so were Concelhaut (took me 3 whole tries) and the Radiant Spore (although after looking at the wiki on this quest I apparently could have made the fight significantly easier for myself through the preceding dialogue).
It's doubly a shame considering that WM2 has (thus far) far and away the best content of the game so far.
Didn't Sawyer say something about possibly beefing up the scaling if there was enough of user demand?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, honestly, as others have noted, the game still suffers greatly from the ease of over leveling content. I'm currently about half(?) way through WM2 and headed there straight after starting Act 3, but my whole party's been sitting at level 16 since finishing Endless Paths right before triggering Act 2's end. It's not a deal-breaker, and I realize it's only a big deal for hyper-completionists like me, but even with the high-level scaling the game is painfully easy for the most part. Thus far the only difficult encounters I've seen in the last 10 hours or so were Concelhaut (took me 3 whole tries) and the Radiant Spore (although after looking at the wiki on this quest I apparently could have made the fight significantly easier for myself through the preceding dialogue).
It's doubly a shame considering that WM2 has (thus far) far and away the best content of the game so far.
Didn't Sawyer say something about possibly beefing up the scaling if there was enough of user demand?
If you've not done so, be sure to return to stalwart after doing concelhaut. Have a good look around the main town area.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Yeah, honestly, as others have noted, the game still suffers greatly from the ease of over leveling content.
All games do.
Dont level up.

PoEs first 6/7 levels are pretty nice but yeah, around that time the game breaks down, lots of xp content, same trashfights. Dont level up is an age old doctrine for "rpg" games.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some info on the next patch:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86041-when-is-the-next-patch-coming-out/page-4#entry1807902
Hey guys, apologies for the silence. Patch 3.03 should be coming out towards the end of this month.

Here are some of the things we are trying to address in the next update:
  • Shield deflection and reflexes are stacking on enemies during save/load.
  • NPCs are not turning hostile from conversations for some players.
  • Combusting Wounds is not doing damage.
  • The biography is not updating after collecting spring berries.
  • There are some performance problems related to snow footprints.
  • Russetwood Ogres are turning hostile after transitioning in and out of certain areas.
  • Graze to Hit on One-Handed Style and Confident Aim are applying to spells (instead of only to weapon attacks).
  • Druids are unable to use Second Wind or Outlander's Frenzy while spiritshifted.
  • Healing and friendly effects being cast by a chanter are not affecting the chanter itself.
  • Various game balance (particularly with Rogues and Barbarians).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom