Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Overwatch

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But players never pick what the team needs, everybody pick Widow or Hanzo, climb to rooftops and play their own version of team deathmatch, completely ignoring objectives.

Pick D.Va.
Point mouse at solo scrub.
Boost towards them.
If they shoot at you, activate defense matrix.
Congrats, you're now in their face and ready to mow them down. Point blank, you can trade favourably against anyone but a reinhardt. Be sure to boost back out afterwards if you're taking fire.

Works vs bastions too, although you may lose your mech in the process and finish him off on foot.

abija

Prophet
types metro quickly between hearthstone and hots daily quests

btw still waiting on you to demonstrate how skill ceiling is low

Puukko

Arcane
Played this for a few hours and it's been good
fun.
Maining Roadhog, with Mercy on the side. Haven't given most of the classes a proper try yet though, but I've had good rounds as Roadhog.

The question is, is it 40€ worth of fun? I don't know. Supposedly they've got a lot of post launch content planned for the summer. TF2 kept me entertained for a good 1000 hours a few years back and this tickles that itch.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Having a blast. Wish they restricted on hero choices for players that are less than rank 15 or something, force them to chose a needed type, too many Hanzos, Tracers, Reapers & Genjtikew9ois around being absolutely fucking worthless.

Puukko

Arcane
I actually saw a guy called Fluttershy, playing as Reaper. I'd like to believe he was just a ruseman.

DDZ

Patron
And if your first pick when your team is attacking is a character from the "Defense" category it's probably you who is retarded.

What? A Junkrat is amazing for clearing points when attacking, as is Mei with her area denials.

Gerrard

Arcane
And if your first pick when your team is attacking is a character from the "Defense" category it's probably you who is retarded.

What? A Junkrat is amazing for clearing points when attacking, as is Mei with her area denials.
I mentioned that in next post. They never pick Junkrat though, they pick Widowmaker or Hanzo.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Was trying the beta of this the last couple days, server disconnects constantly, sometimes in less than a minute. No idea why, internet is fine, no word on the 14 page thread on their forums of other people with the same issue. Shame, I was in the mood for something like this.

Latro

Arcane
Played this for a few hours and it's been good
fun.
Maining Roadhog, with Mercy on the side. Haven't given most of the classes a proper try yet though, but I've had good rounds as Roadhog.

The question is, is it 40€ worth of fun? I don't know. Supposedly they've got a lot of post launch content planned for the summer. TF2 kept me entertained for a good 1000 hours a few years back and this tickles that itch.
To me that's one of the bigger issues, it's TF2 lite, and that game was already TFC extra lite.

I don't think Overwatch is capable of that TF2 staying power, it's definitely in its shadow. Of course, Blizzard can follow the Riot route and pump a shit ton of money to make sure FPS players play competitively, but that's an artifical way of forcing it.

DDZ

Patron
It's much more varied as TF2, game modes are alike, but it doesn't really play the same.

The few matches I had with friends against another group were fun and intense as hell. I bet if ranked play is in it will be a dickload of fun and has good staying power.

I am rank 25 on open beta now and I am not cancelling my preorder, because I am still having loads of fun.

Suicidal

Arcane
Played a bit with a friend, fun game for a few hours, would buy for 10-20$ maybe (and they're asking $60 for this holy shit Blizzard :lol:). Out of all the new Blizzard multiplayer-only games I think this one is the best.

GreyViper

Prophet
Man, that Reaper DIE DIE DIE guy is edgier than all the Codexers combined.
Maybe he played alpha version of "Hatred".

Still the game has that Blizzard touch, but game itself feels bland with some TF2 vibe. They do make nice trailers/intros, so maybe they should consider cartoon market.
For some reason it does not suck you in and turn you semi meth-addict like WoW, HS & HoS do. Diablo3 is still shit.
Will see how it is in year or two.

abija

Prophet
Was trying the beta of this the last couple days, server disconnects constantly, sometimes in less than a minute. No idea why, internet is fine, no word on the 14 page thread on their forums of other people with the same issue. Shame, I was in the mood for something like this.
Friend said he fixed something like that by exiting all bnet software (exit games, exit launcher, close launcher and agent32 from task manager) then deleting Battle.net folders from
%appdata%/../Local/ and %systemdrive%/ProgramData/

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I mean, I literally hadn't been on anything blizzard on this computer yet, I did a fresh install of battlenet, noticed a free beta for a game, installed it, and it immediately didn't work. I don't foresee reinstalling anything being helpful.

Edit: Tried it anyways, no dice.

Last edited:
Put in a good 20-30 minutes in and immediately uninstalled it.

Not a surprise for me though because I always knew this game would turn out to be complete shit.

Blizzard's art style is regressing with each and every release.

All of their Fisher-Price games can now run buttery smooth on a ten-year-old retail Dell desktop.

Overwatch is:
  1. Not fun.
  2. Ugly as fuck.
  3. Boring gameplay mechanics.
  4. A ripoff of Quake Live, another shit game that can run in any browser.
Fuck, I would rather play Quake Live than this pathetic excuse of a AAA MP shooter.

Game's alright, but it gets stale really fast.. I wish there were more customization, not cosmetics, but gameplay elements and such. I.e. that dwarf feller that is like a beta version of TF2 Engineer, d be great if he had more utility than just a turret with 2 levels. (not portals and ammo/hp regen machines, but pretty much anything else, possibilities are truly endless).

And it's also b2p. I don't really see why to be honest.

The only reason why it's b2p is because Blizzard can afford to charge full price for it.

I have to say that something refreshing about the game is that everything's available from the start - all heroes, all maps. There's zero grinding and that's just the way I like it; I don't need positive reinforcement to 'unlock' stuff, in fact it works in the opposite direction for me - if a large portion of the game's content is locked behind a wall (paywall, timewall, whatever), I get very demotivated. The fact that they didn't try to shoehorn too many Dota or CoD-like mechanics in is also refreshing; outside of the abilities themselves, there's no leveling, no items, no creeps, no perks or any of that. It's an even playing field from start to finish, and that's great (and surprisingly rare in MP shooters these days).

So yeah, the game's too simple, but at least everything's available from the start, the gameplay itself feels alright and the animations, etc. are all top notch (some of the character designs are not to my taste at all - like that Korean chick with a mech or that edgelord with the pistols screaming 'die, die die' during his ultimate - but hey, I'm old). As I said before, it's a nice game to play a couple of rounds in between other, beefier games and it's pretty fun with friends that you can run around with some cool combos, like inclusive russian dyke + medic or zenyatta + rocket girl. I have the most fun playing as Genji, but he seems harder than the others.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have to say that something refreshing about the game is that everything's available from the start - all heroes, all maps.
How is that 'refreshing?' A game you have to pay $40 for contains all content? Everything is available from the start because you have to PAY $40. Typically only F2P games require grinding oh, and PS, they aren't going to give you heroes they add later -- that's what the microtransactions are for~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom