Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Murk

Arcane
parry him, then sit down so the attack animations go over your head

side note: caestus is the new monscim apparently

sullynathan

Arcane
Aldritch was the toughest so far of all the bosses. Man, his magic attacks are impeccable and his embered form is difficult. It is hard to predict his attacks and his arrows take far too much damage. Beat him after 5 tries.

After doing the calculation, it seems I only get 1/4th of the souls the hosts gets when a boss is defeated. That's really shitty compared to getting half in DS1.

Wtf? Since when did NPCs start attacking invaders? This is bullshit.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Game has 378 flavors of plate armor, and too little everything else. Wtf.

Just found out there's a ton of NPCs in the game, but most of them didn't appear to me or disappeared forever after first contact: The onion dude from Catharina vanished after I met him in undead settlement; that pilgrim Yonlor (or something) died after leveling me up couple times and nobody else showed up. I've read theee is a bunch of chicks (Irina, sirris, anti, etc) that are supposed to show up in firelink, but, again,, none appeared to me. Shit, perhaps this explain the game feeling kinda empty in my playthrough.

Have you guys noticed the Cthulhu influence in the game ? Aldritch (which sounds like Eldritch) "hearing the call of the deep sea" or something and then going out devouring everyone and becoming the slug-like Old One-wannabe shown in the intro (I couldn't discern his body well on the actual boss fight with that fag Gwindolin over it).

Also, Bloodborne influences. Undead Settlement with its pointy-hat farmers and pitchforks, Abyss Watchers and their gothic pointy-hat helmets, the kings Black Hand "Hunters" with almost-Victorian hats and outfits. What's next ? Trick-weapons and blunderbusses in the DLC ?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As for the Onion bro, he's in a certain spot but not when you first explore the map. He only appears after you're almost finished with the entire area. So unless you re-explore every nook and cranny of every already explored map every few hours or so you'd most likely never find him.

I kindda hate this tbh. It's the same shit as Miyazaki's hidden walls. If you wanna play completely blind and offline you'd have to roll along every fucking wall to make sure you got them all (some of them hide important items, NPCs or even entire areas and bosses). And if you play online you'll see all those messages pointing out all the secrets for you, therefore why even have fucking hidden walls. Some of them you can deduce from the environment, some of them by being observant but many of them are completely un-obvious.

As for the Bloodborn influences - just another hint this game is mostly an afterthought, half-heartedly thrown together from leftover assets and ideas to make some money for whatever new IP is Miyazaki working on right now. Kindda sad end for the series.

Mozg

Arcane
The seed was absolutely necessary to prevent DS1 hour-of-faggotry shit where a 1v1 invader sits among mobs incessantly making it impossible for you to progress PvE, which is the otherwise the correct degenerate tactic for the invader (this is why 1v1 invasions usually socially collapse into the gentleman's laggy shit duel to get it over with). However, letting gank squads seed when the host already has summons like DS3 prefers to set up is stupid and having the seed grey out when you've summoned someone would be a good patch.

Perkel

Arcane
The seed was absolutely necessary to prevent DS1 hour-of-faggotry shit where a 1v1 invader sits among mobs incessantly making it impossible for you to progress PvE, which is the otherwise the correct degenerate tactic for the invader (this is why 1v1 invasions usually socially collapse into the gentleman's laggy shit duel to get it over with). However, letting gank squads seed when the host already has summons like DS3 prefers to set up is stupid and having the seed grey out when you've summoned someone would be a good patch.

Why ? Invader still has to kill one guy instead of all. One good shot near ledge and you win. You have now rings that camuflage you red glow to white one, you have mad spirits and so on.

BTW i fought probably most awesome pvp moment in any of souls games.

I summoned dude to help me with crabs then slightly after that dark spirit ivaded.
We started to fight, red dude strategically used groud and tried to move us toward crabs.
I noticed mad phantom summon sign, ohh what the hell, started to summon mad spirit.
Meanwhile some red blue phantom invaded and joined fight (farron i believe) which at that point was 2 vs 2 and generally fun clusterfuck.
Mad phantom comes in and he does what madmen do. Starts to attack everyone.
So we had 2 vs 2 vs 1

......... and then Blue phantom joins the fucking fight.

It was amazing clusterfuck of a fight. With people running all over map chasing each other or fighting light skimrishes in groups. Ultimately blue spirit died and my helper. Red phantom was at half life without flasks probably, mad phantom just stayed behind him like hiena and farron literally died because crab got him with smash while he tried to attack me (didn;t know farron could get hit by mobs).

Started to fight with red one while mad phantom pretended to watching duel sitting, after a while he backstabbed red one, i finished red one while mad took me out.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't know if it was already mentioned but Namco release this statement: Poise is working as intended.

http://rebrn.com/re/bandai-namco-says-poise-is-working-as-intended-and-it-is-not-off-2601103/

:troll:

And in other news: DaS3 is the first game were a longsword has a longer range than a spear.

This is not an actual news but I started another run especially for a spear build and I found out this bullshit first hand.

Perhaps boss spear weapons are ok but regular spear is shit.

:deathclaw:

Stabwound

Arcane
I finally beat the god-forsaken Boreal valley dog thing and I'm not sure this game is for me. Just like my short stint with DS1, it feels like smashing your head into a wall over and over until you finally break through it.

I can't even say for sure that I'm actually having fun. Running through the same area 10+ times to fight a boss makes me feel like an aspie, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've only found 1 new equipment piece that was an upgrade.

I dunno, maybe I just hate games.

Mozg

Arcane
You eventually break through, not just for one section but into the land of going through a new game with <20 or so deaths without ever losing your bloodstain. I was a complete cripple going through DS1 the first time.

Here's a woman in her 30s that has low action game skills going through DS1 blind with an annoyingly low number of deaths if you want to feel kinda stupid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaTUtYVcSww

Murk

Arcane
I honestly do not get people who try to fight asylum demon with the broken weapon that does no damage. the fucking door opens with a loud sound to your left, how do you not get you're supposed to go there?

edit: I skipped to ep 8, she's at the cemetary still in firelink

nooooooooooooooooooope nope nope nope

Mozg

Arcane
She goes extremely slow, but she also does shit like get past the Londo greatbow archers on the second or so attempt as a person that started barely able to move around.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I finally beat the god-forsaken Boreal valley dog thing and I'm not sure this game is for me.

If you got all the way to Irithyll and you're still not sure you're having fun then this game is definitely not your cup of tea.

I'm weird with games too tho. Like the first time I tried DS1 I struggled for half an hour, gave a hearty laugh and uninstalled. Second time I couldn't stop playing it. Same for Dragon Age 1. First time I absolutely hated that shit. Second time I was having moderate fun all the way to the end and today I consider it a good RPG.

Murk

Arcane
The Priestess in the Cathedral refers to him as a dog... and the whole "everything is on all fours, totally not inspired by project beast Bloodborne" thing...

I dunno man, if you feel like the first boss is a wall to hit your head against I... I shudder to say this but... you may be playing the game wrong.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I finally beat the god-forsaken Boreal valley dog thing and I'm not sure this game is for me. Just like my short stint with DS1, it feels like smashing your head into a wall over and over until you finally break through it.

I can't even say for sure that I'm actually having fun. Running through the same area 10+ times to fight a boss makes me feel like an aspie, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've only found 1 new equipment piece that was an upgrade.

I dunno, maybe I just hate games.

Each DaS3 run is different.

1st run was a nightmare because I insisted on using an axe but in the end I gave up and I went with a katana. The entire run was absolutely shit because I could not adapt to the new edgy combat. Also I fucked up my build and I did not find Rosaria's bedchamber. All my NPCs died/dissapeared and the fireshrine was almost empty in the end.

2nd run was great but I used straight swords for the entire play. Overall I think the game is balanced for these swords. Also I accepted the fact that the game is shit (compared to the previous DaS games) and I stopped trying to play my way -> I went for fast weapons and cheese. I did not become a better player but the game became easy mode. Usurpation of fire.

3rd run was also good until I became bored. I tried halbers, I tried greatswords but nothing matched the utility of straight swords. Dark Sword was still my most reliable weapon in pvp but tbh I'm ashamed of using it.

4th run just ended when I realized that my spear has a range lower than a longsword. Fuck this retarded shit.

Anyway, I just want to say that the game experience can be completely different and not always for the right reasons. DaS3 is probably the most unfair game in the series which means that your enjoyment will suffer if you don't take advantage of every little thing.

You have two options: 1) try your own thing and suffer for every decision which was not perfect or 2) cheese the game which means play the game how it was meant to be played.

If you don't spoil yourself in advance then it's very hard to know how to make the good decisions on your own. The game is retarded and your non-perfect build can become obsolete in one elevator trip.

So, my advice is to cheese the game: use a longsword, upgrade it asap, level up some vitality fast (lvl27 is the soft cap), use the summon sign to scout the areas in advance or use summons. Use any tool available to make progress. There is no shame in doing so.

For example: there are mobs in the game which you are not supposed to challenge when you meet them 1st time. Use firebombs and the environment for maximum damage. Use consumable and miracles to buff your weapon. Anything.

Perhaps the game will click with you later but I'm pretty sure no Evrika! moment will happen when you bang your head against a wall.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm sure I'm probably playing it wrong. I've completely avoided any spoilers whatsoever, and I only ever played DS1 for a few hours before I gave up.

I started a Knight and basically have put every point into strength at this point. Is the game more or less meant to read spoilers and such? I probably missed a bunch of stuff already and really don't know what I'm doing. I have about 8 hours into the game and just now killed Vordt, and probably missed a bunch of things.

Just wondering if I'm going to fuck myself by playing blindly. Can you respec at all?

polo

Magister
Yeah if Vordt was hard for you, and you are not even having fun. Uninstall.
Also, there is another option.
GIT GUD BRAH.

Mozg

Arcane
The only build stuff to really fuck up is going over the "soft caps" which are totally unpredictable for people that don't know Souls bullshit. Like, Strength gives moderate returns at first, then the increase-per-point gets higher as you approach 40, then falls to almost nothing from 40 up (I think in DS3 you get 80% of the benefit of 99 strength at 40). You are technically given the tools to notice this shit (since you can preview the derived stat increases during level up) but no one playing blind ever would. Figuring that out is stupid and you should spoil yourself.

Same for how infusions work - e.g. Raw infusions remove all stat scaling from a weapon and in return give you a big boost to base damage, meaning it's really stat-efficient to use a weapon at the minimum stat requirements to wield it and raw infuse it.

Murk

Arcane
I honestly don't think it's an issue to spoil the game. I often enjoy being a summoned helper in a new area to feel things out, more so than summoning in my own world.

I wouldn't recommend watching in depth how to strats on bosses until you try 'em at least a few times and try to figure it out on your own, but even then I don't think you're shit for doing it.

Really, the only thing I think is a bad idea is to just rely on shield wall + 1-2 pokes every other minute as a slow means of tedious progress instead of being more experimental and trying peculiar strategies. One of my favorite moments in DS 1 was killing kalameet at SL1 by using power within, red tear stone, dusk's crown + bellowing dragoncrest ring, and chaos fire storm.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm sure I'm probably playing it wrong. I've completely avoided any spoilers whatsoever, and I only ever played DS1 for a few hours before I gave up.

I started a Knight and basically have put every point into strength at this point. Is the game more or less meant to read spoilers and such? I probably missed a bunch of stuff already and really don't know what I'm doing. I have about 8 hours into the game and just now killed Vordt, and probably missed a bunch of things.

Just wondering if I'm going to fuck myself by playing blindly. Can you respec at all?

I was pretty sure that you did not have enough Vitality :) I did the same mistake on my 1st run.

In fact I wrote in the original post and then I deleted it because I did not want to sound like a pompous ass ... but the thing is: always pump up some Vitality first. You will need it for PvE and PvP. Being able to withstand more than two hits from a boss is a world of difference.

About spoilers: Yeah. Read them. At least read about what build you would like. Hint: consider a straight sword build and what infusions are good for it. The story is a mess and I'm not sure anyone really understands it anyway. There are some obscure secrets (but not too many) which you will probably not find on your own.

Vordt is a boss you should beat in the first 2 hours of the game. I don't think you missed too much but let's check: Did you free Greirat? Did you kill the Darkwraith from the basement? Have you visited the tower near the Fireshrine? :)

There is an NPC which can help you respec 5 times per run but she is found somewhere around mid-game (Rosaria's bedchamber - Cathedral of the Deep).

But like Mozg said there are a few options to fuck up your build. You are pretty much safe if you invest in STR or DEX and you use the appropriate scaling weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom