Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Metro bundle being offered. I haven't played a FPS since Resistance: Fall of Man. Metro any good?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
They're both solid, though the second definitely has superior shooting to the first. They're both more oriented towards stealth and survival than out-and-out shooting galleries, though a guns blazing approach is far more viable in Last Light even on the highest difficulty, provided you don't mind getting the worst ending for it.

Note: Avoid the remake of Metro 2033. It was made in LL's engine, so it has that game's dumbed down stealth and gun mod system, which makes a lot of areas far easier because the original game wasn't desgined around those mechanics.

Beowulf

Arcane
And at the same time they are both extremely on-rails (sometimes literally) linear corridor shooters with cinematic scripted sequences. Nevertheless I finished the first one, got bored in the second.
Good atmosphere, graphics and production values, but that's about it. On a plus side the campaign was relatively short and didn't overstay its welcome. If you want some quick entertainment in a shooting gallery I think you can go worse than Metro.
I've not played in any other difficulty then the Hardcore Ranger (or what's it called), but apparently the enemies are more bullet spongy on lower ones (as well as you). So keep that in mind if you decide to purchase.

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I would definitely go for the first one, non-redux version. Excellent atmosphere, and multiple ways of finishing levels. It really is on-rails, literally even, although the above-ground levels offer some more freedom. Difficulty can be challenging, especially if you try for the no-kill solutions. Only on-rails FPS that I would recommend.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
though a guns blazing approach is far more viable in Last Light even on the highest difficulty, provided you don't mind getting the worst ending for it.

While it is true that the good ending is much easier to achieve with a stealth play through of LL, you can still get it if you go guns blazing. You just have to make sure that you get every other moral point.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
though a guns blazing approach is far more viable in Last Light even on the highest difficulty, provided you don't mind getting the worst ending for it.

While it is true that the good ending is much easier to achieve with a stealth play through of LL, you can still get it if you go guns blazing. You just have to make sure that you get every other moral point.
I'd even go as far as to say a guns blazing approach is actually much funner in LL, as it allows you to experiment with all the weird and creative franken-guns the game has to offer. LL's stealth system is incredibly simple and often makes the game a bit dull (Imagine Thief's gem stealth system, except the only two variants are "You are absolutely camoflagued because the light on your watch says so", or "You're out in the open and completely visible because the watch says so"), and they really went out of their way with the visuals and audio to make the gunfights really exciting.

If you're getting Last Light, just check to see if your copy comes with the Ranger Hardcore DLC (yes, they actually made the fucking difficulty setting a dlc). If they do, play on that, if they don't, then don't sweat about it too much and just play on the Hardcore setting, since the only major difference is the lack of HUD. Please bear in mind that there are areas that have button prompts (to open a door, subdue guards steathily, etc) that will not come up on screen in Ranger Hardcore mode since the UI is disabled, so I recommend you look up key bindings the moment you get to the first stealth section (you'll know when I'm talking about).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd even go as far as to say a guns blazing approach is actually much funner in LL, as it allows you to experiment with all the weird and creative franken-guns the game has to offer. LL's stealth system is incredibly simple and often makes the game a bit dull (Imagine Thief's gem stealth system, except the only two variants are "You are absolutely camoflagued because the light on your watch says so", or "You're out in the open and completely visible because the watch says so"), and they really went out of their way with the visuals and audio to make the gunfights really exciting.

Yep, completely agree. The stealth system in LL is pretty boring, the gun play on the other hand is pretty good.

DramaticPopcorn

Please bear in mind that there are areas that have button prompts (to open a door, subdue guards steathily, etc) that will not come up on screen in Ranger Hardcore mode since the UI is disabled, so I recommend you look up key bindings the moment you get to the first stealth section (you'll know when I'm talking about).
Not only that but it also disables your HUD for selecting weapons (which, in Ranger Hardocre are limited to 2 anyway, so no big deal) as well as FUCKING THROWING WEAPON and AMMO.
This DLC was obviously hastily slapped together and called an expansion, utterly fucking annoying and braindead.
I would be fine without ammo count, gas filter timer and weapon promts but goddamn what is the actual thought behind not showing what throwing weapon you can select??!?!?!?!?!?!

Beowulf

Arcane
That is true, it's fucking annoying and not thought-through at all. I had to google the controls of the rail car. You also don't see prompts for QTE melee encounters.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's cool, somehow shooting reminded me Soldat (that 2D arena shooter), if you like playing in waves a'la Red Orchestra 2.

pippin

Brofist for Soldat, it was a fun game even though I always died without knowing who or what shot me.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Summe Sale date leaked: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/4jk4b8/steam_summer_sale_starts_on_june_23_and_ends_on/

x4f1Bex.png

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Last few Steam sales have sucked horribly. Not anything I anticipate anymore.

Whiran

Magister
Wonder what "gamification" they'll introduce this time. It's fascinating really
I'm waiting for the: If you and all your friends buy X you will get an additional sale card!

Coordinate with your friends. Buy the games. Collect the cards!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
... but the whole full discounts during the sale thing is pretty good.
It's actually pretty shit because it makes the discounts tepid across the board. Flash/dailies usually went up at steeper discounts. But since people are too dumb to wait now everyone suffers with shitty 30-50% off deals.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Still their last sale was iirc their biggest sale ever. Valve is metrics driven, if the flat discounts don't work, they'll change it. Should be easy to add a "no refunds for discounted products" to their shop and reintroduce flash deals if they see the necessity.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sure, the dummies will buy anyway because they don't know any better. Same people that rush to preorder the latest AAA games at $60.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom