Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ziem

Arbiter
Quick tinkering nerf incoming in the next patch :troll:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I won't be suprised if Styg raises the cooldown from 2 to 3 or even 4. :M

The problem is of course is that nerf to quick tinkering is a nerf to crossbow characters, and they already suffer compared to other builds.

damager

Arbiter
Just stop Styg. Nobody likes nerfs. Design encounters instead of ruining the fun. Look at that abomination PoE.

A wise man once said don't balance the feats against each other, but the content against the feats.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, instead of nerfing characters make enemies stronger. Give them better gear, at least W2C bullets so tactical vest doesn't trivialize gun users completely.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Taste for Blood got nerfed? It wasn't even THAT universal of a feat.

Fatal throw nerf?

Looks like its guns all the way boys.

I've been trying to make fatal throw work for a puncher, but another feat may have been a better choice. With 12 dex the throw is 14 AP, it saves a punch (4 AP) and restores 18 AP, so a net gain of 8 AP. BUT, without an insane throw skill you have a chance to whiff it, at around 75-80% the risk is too high imo. There's also the chance you roll low damage and don't make the kill. Not to mention you absolutely cannot use it as your final action, it has to be used when there are at least 14 + 4 AP left so you can finish the enemy off with a fist in the face if you miss.

Still, it's one of the few alternatives to just bashing stuff so as a build it's fun to play around with. And the puncher is a badass anyway.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So uhm, has there been any word from Styg in terms of when the next patch is gon' drop and what it may contain in terms of balance, new stuff (plx) QoL and fixes?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Just stop Styg. Nobody likes nerfs. Design encounters instead of ruining the fun. Look at that abomination PoE. A wise man once said don't balance the feats against each other, but the content against the feats.

Make Combo great again. Seriously, what you did was a damn crime!

Styg is just making the game more challenging for us and a bunch of men child is crying tears of blood because they lost their overpowered combos. That is beautiful! He is only ruining the fun for popamole dumbfucks who think that “fun = popamole”. And don’t even get me started with Sawyer sperging about game “balance”, because his concept of balance it accommodating every player choice. It is the opposite of what Styg is trying to do. On the other hand, what the fuck he was thinking when he implemented overpowered perks like “taste for blood” in the first place?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Crazy is someone who is caught up on a cartoonish view of game design because it is dogmatically shared by a group. You probably don’t like to think about conceptual shit since you are a closet popamole, but maybe you have noticed that challenge and overpowered combos are diametrically opposed as game design elements. The more great combos I can do in UR, Hard West, BG2 or D:OS, the more easier the game becomes.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
But character building is all about finding those synergies for each character concept. I'm all for balancing things, but if you're gonna fundamentally change how something works after it's released, you need to let players change their build too.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I think that the more you have overpowered perks and the bigger is the world to explore, the difficult it is to balance, i.e., to maintain a certain level of challenge throughout the entire game. In theory, you can have both ways, but in practice this never happens. That is why Stgy is nerfing things even now. It’s not because he was fooling earlier players, instead he didn’t have the time to balance the game before. This happens with all developers that have a modicum of conscience. In fact, even AoD that I praise so much was much easier just before the release. They nerfed a lot of stuff before release. Unfortunately, important things such as balance and AI comes late in the design cycle for cRPGs. That is also why pure strategy games are easier to balance and more challenging overall.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Checked Underrail's Steam review page on a lark, found casual.png:

a5a401e292.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Al Fabet is real.

Also with how plentiful healing consumables are, it's the last thing I'd expect someone to complain about. I finished the game with 160 adv. health hypos left unused in my inventory, by the time you get to core city you're already using healing items as currency to buy drugs.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Al Fabet is real.

Also with how plentiful healing consumables are, it's the last thing I'd expect someone to complain about. I finished the game with 160 adv. health hypos left unused in my inventory, by the time you get to core city you're already using healing items as currency to buy drugs.

I agree. At some point I even dropped a few hypos because I got overweight and I had so fucking many of them.

Finally finished the game for the first time.

GX3MED1.png

Played a Stealth TechnoMechaCrafter X-Bowman. Spent a lot of time trying out different factions and different questlines, and an AWFUL amount of time dealing with loot logistics.

It really bugged me to leave all the useless shit cluttering all over the place so I had to carry everthing, keep them organized and use bugged containers to dispose of stuff that I couldn't sell or wasn't even worth selling. An option to trash items would do a lot to save me from OCD'ing. Easily a half of my time with the game must have gone into that.

A quick view of my main equipment which stayed mostly the same for the second half of the game, apart from incremental upgrades as I acquired better components:

Ciir3nE.png

AXjPkfs.png
W3dqmZo.png

NNvN8cl.png
9yMhoF9.png

6KJtFc8.png
naVfuEo.png

wvNdoi9.png
MinlGvV.png

It is hard to imagine how I would survive so well without the shield emitters. I remember the game experience was generally far more cautious and lethal before the shield emitters were introduced during the alpha. Shields practically enabled me to play like a tank without any investment in STR and CONS and largely negated the need for armour. As you can see above, I crafted and used armour for other benefits, though the meager protection certainly helped when cornered in melee encounters.

For a while, I considered making a dash at energy weapons but found no advantages over Crossbows. Plasma pistols take 40 AP which is insane. I haven't checked what feats compliment them but with Crossbows, you get 2 shots per turn, +1 with a 19AP Crossbow and stimulants and another +1 with the Free Special Bolt Attack Feat. And the damage scaling gets crazy with all the feats.

The game is certainly linear but I didn't feel constrained by it at all. Clearly, this is very much a systems game and that's where its main strength and enjoyment lies. However, I enjoyed the setting, the writing and the story just as much. It is coherent and the incomplete bits of information the game feeds to the player are just the right amount and fires up the imagination so well.

I have enjoyed this game far more than most shit I've played over the years. Certainly beats most triple-A crap out of water.

Styg, I absolutely LOVE the design of the CAU armor. From the first moment I saw it, I was in love with it and I was amazed by how it tickled that childhood excitement feeling from playing with your favourite toys. I wish the overall character design had more of that. Somehow the blue outlines for SGS allies also gave me a similar feeling. It looked and felt so right.

ColCol

Arcane
Holy shit this game is long. I'm close to 70 hours. It's becoming tedious at this point. I'm near the final dungeon and I'm afraid I'm going to have to load an old save in order to level up more. I want to finish it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom