Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dominions 4 announced

Zibniyat

Arcane
So, Desura is dead, right? What about those who've purchased Dominions 4 there? In case of future updates.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
So, Desura is dead, right? What about those who've purchased Dominions 4 there? In case of future updates.

From Illwinter's site:

20th March 2016 - Dominions 4.24 released and Desura is gone
If you used the Desura version previously you'll have to switch to steam now. Your Dominions 4 cd-key can be used in steam to redeem the game there. If you don't know your cd-key you can find it by searching for the file "dom4key", open it in notepad or something similar to read the key. Note that steam is not required for running the game, you can start steam get the game and then move the game to your favorite place and run it from there without steam being active.

Zibniyat

Arcane

From Illwinter's site:

20th March 2016 - Dominions 4.24 released and Desura is gone
If you used the Desura version previously you'll have to switch to steam now. Your Dominions 4 cd-key can be used in steam to redeem the game there. If you don't know your cd-key you can find it by searching for the file "dom4key", open it in notepad or something similar to read the key. Note that steam is not required for running the game, you can start steam get the game and then move the game to your favorite place and run it from there without steam being active.

Thanks. Turns out I already have Dominions 4 on Steam as well...

mondblut

Arcane
Yet, the author should be shot for the cringeworthy and pretentious comparisons with French art. "journalism":roll:

Not one mention of the inherent mysygyny of blood magic, or the horrible blackface styryotypyng raycism of non-euro nations? kekscreen, I am disappoint.

Last edited:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Seems like Desura is back up, for now. No idea why, but it's good because the old pages weren't archived. Still a lot of good resources linked there.

Jinn

Arcane
Are there any mods that integrate a form of guided single-player for this game? As in something that implements something like objectives. I love it and want to learn more about it, but I don't want to jump into a dedicated multi-player match until I know the ropes a little better.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Are there any mods that integrate a form of guided single-player for this game? As in something that implements something like objectives. I love it and want to learn more about it, but I don't want to jump into a dedicated multi-player match until I know the ropes a little better.

Playing SP is kinda useless for MP. SP can be fun to play in a sandbox-like manner, but the ropes for MP are learned only by playing MP.

Or by reading a ton of guides and LPs, and applying the lessons in a MP enviroment. I know it sounds trite, but the best thing is to start a newb-only match, even on our MP forum. I guess you'll find at least 4-5 players, and with you it's a golden ration for starting players. And if you have doubts, ask and some vet will help you.

Probably. Maybe.

SP is so different in nature to a MP game that a such a mod would be difficult to build.

SP is good to prepare/optimize early strats for initial expansion. Just play first year bunch of times to find efficient/reliable way to grab as much land early as you can. That's about all you can do to prepare for multiplayer.

Jinn

Arcane
Heads up, Dominions 4 at 80% discount. Now you too can play Dominions with the kool Kodex kids for the price of a McMenu, and it can be even more unhealthy!

Fucking hell. I wish I would have waited to get a deal like that.

So I've been wondering: how fast paced are these codex games? Is there communication via chat for some good ass real-time diplomacy? I really loved what I saw of this game, but was extremely disappointed to find the the single-player hardly capitalizes on the many strengths of the game.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Does anyone know of any multiplayer Let's Plays with skilled players? Video preferred. All I was able to find on youtube were singleplayer LARPers.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Does anyone know of any multiplayer Let's Plays with skilled players? Video preferred. All I was able to find on youtube were singleplayer LARPers.

Youtube videos? Useless.

Check SSLP of Dominions 3, and our Dominions 4 subsection. Grimwulf's aborted Helheim LP is also gud for basics. But the only way to learn is to play and to suffer. Start a newb game for 5-6 players and learn the ropes by yourself, and ask on the thread for details you don't understand.ù

So I've been wondering: how fast paced are these codex games? Is there communication via chat for some good ass real-time diplomacy? I really loved what I saw of this game, but was extremely disappointed to find the the single-player hardly capitalizes on the many strengths of the game.

Define "fast paced". Codexian games are commonly slower than domg or dom3mods games, as we like extensions and we are a small community. Diplomacy is the essential tool of victory.

Again, I suggest you to start a newb game (or I can do that for you), get a smaller map for 6 or so players and enjoy. We have enough noobs or.... "differently skilled" players to guarantee it will not be a massacre.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Heads up, Dominions 4 at 80% discount. Now you too can play Dominions with the kool Kodex kids for the price of a McMenu, and it can be even more unhealthy!

Fucking hell. I wish I would have waited to get a deal like that.

Codex games are mostly PBEM, so games tend to last months. Some of us solve our diplomacy via chat on Steam but diplomacy is mostly done via PM here.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I lost all my fucking Tuatha army in one turn to one single misplaced command (hold + cast spell instead of hold + attack). It hurt so much I quit the game altogether.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Which race gets the best thugs?

Great question.

Common reply is elves. Get a Vine Shield+Frost brand on a elf, get a N9 bless and you have a cheapo Thug that can kill easily PD and smaller raiding non-magical supported parties (With elves I mean EA Tir, Van, Helheim and their ilk, you know the ones). Air and Glamour work well in giving them extra survival chances (get Mistform).

Another is giants, but I personally find them less reliable. And I mean giants giants, not ogre nations (Ur, EA Atlantis can build Thugs, but it's not optimal for them IMHO). Jotuns, Niel, Cannibal Jews, the usual. Oni Kings (Yomi) can also be considered as thug\SC chassis, but they require a good amount of research and support.

Lemuria and MA Ermor can build good cheap thugs with free spawn or summons and equip, considering they'll always take a big bless, but it's a bit niche.

Good enough?

Not one mention of the inherent mysygyny of blood magic

Months later, but you know that blood slaves do not have the female tag?

Hide your NEETs, the next Pantokrator is coming

:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Elves really need N9E8/9 to be serious thugs, else their fatigue will kill them sooner or later. Dakini are probably the best thugs all around if you have the research, a functioning slave income and W9/X bless. Fomorian Unmarked are cool, but need a N9/E6+ bless, which isn't ideal for Fomoria.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I found morale a worse problem than fatigue with elves. It doesn't matter if they're well equipped, buffed, and rested, they'll run away as soon as the chaff starts dying.

I found morale a worse problem than fatigue with elves. It doesn't matter if they're well equipped, buffed, and rested, they'll run away as soon as the chaff starts dying.
There's a rule that goes something like "when 75% of your side's total hitpoints are gone, everyone routs" (province defence and battle summons do not count towards that total). In other words, thugs shouldn't bring small groups of chaff with them.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Real gangsta ass niggas don bring chaff

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom