Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Additional ToEE Modules Planned

Hello! Appreciate all the hard work on Temple+ and love to see the advancements. I'm curious if anyone in this modding community (or others) plans on making additional modules? Honestly, playing through the base ToEE module for the 50th time, even with enhancements gets a bit old.

There is so much potential in the engine. Are there additional Modules out there? Is anyone planning on making them? The only one I am aware of is Co8 the Keep on the Borderlands.

Thanks!

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Well there was this which sounds interesting but the author went silent. He still visits the forums though so there may be some hope.

Other than that I think it'd be cool to do a IWD2 total conversion. Should be quite feasible for the most part, at least up to the part where new monster models will be needed (but I think the first couple of chapters are already a handful and maybe we'll have a model importer plugin by the time you get to the dragons etc.). Any takers?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Just for shits:

RUqFTzO.jpg

Severian Silk

What game is that from? Does ToEE use the same visual perspective as BG/IWD?

For a long time I wanted to make a remake of the Farscape video game but using the Farscape d20 rules. This will never happen though. I don't mind making scripts, but I am not a good 3D modeler. :(

Sitra Achara

Arcane
That's from IWD2. Not sure it's 100% same perspective, maybe it'll require some tinkering to match the character rendering.

I never did finish IWD2 because I couldn't stomach the RTWP system for long...

Sitra Achara

Arcane

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Is the Keep on the Borderlands module any good? Should I play it?
What say you, Crispy ?

I did a mini review on it once upon a time and blasted it.

It starts out nicely, drawing you in with its nostalgic goodness for all of us who remember fondly the original module, but quickly descends into a fanfic-low-quality nightmare of what-the-fuckishness, replete with grammatical and spelling errors, comically-bad maps such as certain parts of the Keep itself, and other things I don't care to recall right now.

Is the Keep on the Borderlands module any good? Should I play it?
What say you, Crispy ?

I did a mini review on it once upon a time and blasted it.

It starts out nicely, drawing you in with its nostalgic goodness for all of us who remember fondly the original module, but quickly descends into a fanfic-low-quality nightmare of what-the-fuckishness, replete with grammatical and spelling errors, comically-bad maps such as certain parts of the Keep itself, and other things I don't care to recall right now.

So...better or worse than the original module?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
ToEE starts out nicely, drawing you in with its nostalgic goodness for all of us who remember fondly the original module, but quickly descends into a ran-out-of-development-time-low-quality nightmare of endless bugbear fights, replete with a sorry excuse for a plot and spell casting errors, comically-bad hangups on certain maps such as certain parts of the Temple itself, and other things I don't care to recall right now.

Am I doing this right?:troll:

FWIW, and I'm obviously biased since I had a part in KotB development, I think it's a charming low level adventure, and is also quite a bit more developed C&C/reactivity-wise than ToEE. I mostly agree with the criticisms about the writing, but I guess I wasn't bothered as much by it. My other main gripe is that the Caves of Chaos aren't balanced for the 'added content' (relative to the original pnp module), but then the level which you first arrive there can vary wildly, and some of the optional fights can still be challenging.

The graphics level is indeed also inconsistent, but the alternative was not to have those maps at all - map makers come and go unfortunately. FWIW the first part of the keep (the nicer looking part) was actually overhauled at the end of the development which is why there's a discrepancy.

Endarire

Scholar
I was considering porting my campaign, The Metaphysical Revolution, to the ToEE engine, but this is full-scale CRPG creation. For example, my Taste of Power Ruleset upon which the game is based relies on swift/immediate actions. (The linked rules are actually pre-alpha by a lot.)

The campaign document serves as a start and covers the first 2 levels of content. (This is the 'tutorial' section and would probably last an hour or 3 in a computer game. The first time I ran it using tabletop 3.5 rules, it lasted 5 sessions of about 3-4 hours each.) The overhauled rules document isn't done. Still, it provides an idea of what could happen were the classes entirely overhauled.

Were se serious about porting The Metaphysical Revolution to the ToEE engine, we'd need to add or drastically edit:
-All campaign-specific assets. This means voiceovers, music, backgrounds, creatures/animations, icons, portraits, prerendered cutscenes, text, loading screens, tooltips...

-A buncha classes and class-related mechanics (Warblade instead of Fighter, Crusader instead of Paladin, Swordsage instead of Monk, change Rangers into initiators instead of casters, and add the revised Marshal class at the very least).

-Overhauling what spells do what, including spell levels of certain spells. In short, this means giving each Wizard spell school at least 1 spell of each spell level. We achieve this by adding a buncha spells and editing many that we already have in ToEE.

-Certain system-level rules changes. These are the most notable ones to implement, which use the spirit of TMR's system with minimal ToEE engine changes:

=Swift/Immediate actions need adding!

=Disabling EXP gain (and assigning levels party-wide instead after completing missions).

=Changing crafting so it uses 'craft points' (CP) instead of EXP (also assigned upon mission completion).

=Allowing my entire party to contribute to crafting (like a Wizard contributes fireball while a Druid contributes call lightning to craft the same item).

=Changing PC caster level in each class to be equal to caster's total HD.

=Making learning Wizard spell scrolls automatic (DC 1 or so) to minimize reloading.

Thus, what does everyone think about this TMR project?

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
OTHER NOTES FOR THE METAPHYSICAL REVOLUTION:
=Spell resistance is renamed Metaphysical Resistance (MR) and reduces the caster/manifester level for all MR-checking effects against this subject (except range and targeting). Thus, small amounts of MR are useful throughout the campaign.

For example, an enemy Wizard6 casts slow on 6 targets. One subject has MR1 and is affected on him alone as if slow were cast at caster level 5 instead. One subject has MR2 and is immune to this casting of slow since slow has a minimum caster level (MCL) of 5 and this casting is at caster level 4.

- - - - - - - -

-A 'LABEL' Button for Items: This allows you to rename items without having to enchant them.

-Consolidating all item creation feats into 3 feats, Craft Consumable (potions/scrolls/wands/etc.), Craft Construct (golems and constructs), and Craft Continuous Item (armor, weapons, and everything without a total finite number of charges).

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
The Metaphysical Revolution Wishlist
-All spells are cast spontaneously from a point pool. Each spell normally costs 4 spell points (SP) per spell level. Spells from opposed schools cost double. Spells from specialty schools cost half.

-Metamagic ('Spell Twists') normally augments spell effects at the cost of extra SP. Each Spell Twist costs a feat slot (or bonus feat slot), as normal. Spell Twists don't cost more SP for opposed schools or less for specialty schools.

-This system needs testing to determine what the maximum number of twists one can apply at a time. Initially, assume SP is the only limiting factor.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Were se serious about porting The Metaphysical Revolution to the ToEE engine, we'd need to add or drastically edit:
Who's "we"?

At any rate most of the engine modifications you need don't sound too hard to do, Swift/Immediate would probably take the longest to implement but I think I need to do those anyway for some of the PRCs. I won't commit to doing these on any time-frame though, got enough to do as it is.

Endarire

Scholar
"We" = team for the digital version of The Metaphysical Revolution.

And thankee!

Endarire

Scholar
For the EXP change, what about making an EXP scalar variable? Thus, if EXPScalar = 2, everything is worth double EXP, = 0 means everything is worth 0 EXP, and = 1.1 means everything is worth 10% more EXP.

Endarire

Scholar
The Metaphysical Revolution is closer to completion than I expected! Alleluiah!

Just set all EXP rewards to 0% and give people +1 level (or set their level to a specific level) instead!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom