Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official 'dex Dwarf Fortress Thread

Perkel

Arcane
Df_logo.png

: WHAT IS DF ? :

- Adventure mode - fun roguelike rpg
- Dwarf Fortress mode - deep fortress/city builder

: DOWNLOAD :

starter pack

vanilla

: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN VANILLA AND STARTER PACK ? :

Starter pack is combination of usually latest version of vanilla df with all great
community features that help you playing game.
From better job management to hacks
that will ease your life to graphics packs that will make ASCI graphics go away.

: SCREENS :

vanilla
gfs_102796_2_2.jpg

graphics pack
KnjBV.png

visualizer
screenshot1.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
made this thread because there are far too many df threads with shitty names.
latest playable version with starterpack is 0.42.03

currently there is no dfhack for 0.43.01 It will take few weeks for it.

Dwarf Fortress 0.43.01

A new version number! With the work order additions and adventurer-created sites, this one ended up with more new stuff and fewer bug fixes than expected, and my version calculator just tipped over at 0.43. You can use the new 'b' site building option in adventure mode to create a site (outside the bounds of other sites). For dwarf mode work orders, you can set conditions and details from the manager. You can also create orders tied to specific shops from their workshop profiles.

A miscellaneous note: in order to retire at the adventurer sites you create, you'll need to name the site, create a main hall zone, and claim the hall during conversation (or while shouting to yourself).

Next up we'll be doing more bug fix releases to make sure we have a vaguely presentable DF before we disappear into a new compiler and 64 bits.

New stuff
  • Ability to build up new sites in adv mode, either yourself or by assigning companions
  • Ability to do carpentry in adv mode
  • Ability to chop down trees in adv mode
  • Ability to make stone axes in adv mode
  • Ability to pull branches from trees in adv mode
  • Can put start conditions on work orders (by amount of resources or dependence on other work orders)
  • Can specify materials/images/etc. in work orders
  • Can create work order from profile which is tied to specific workshop
  • Can set maximum number of shops that a general work order can task at once
  • Can set maximum number of general work orders per shop or disallow them by profession or altogether (note: this won't work for active old-save jobs)
  • Allowed perpetual work orders
  • Repeatable work orders, ability to set restart frequencies

Major bug fixes
  • Stopped masterpiece trading from causing artisans to suffer effects of art defacement

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Got rid of work order limit of 30 jobs
  • Improved work order filtering (respect partial vs. full results etc.)
  • Stopped work orders from taking more than one slot per workshop
  • Stopped non-citizens from being charged for violating production orders
  • Stopped mother from getting both her and spouse's miscarriage thought
  • Refreshed material list when deleting uniform item
  • XML export now has the exact site rectangle

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress 0.43.02

Smoothed out some rough areas in the adventure part of the release. We'll be continuing on with bug fix releases.

Major bug fixes
  • Stopped zone corruption problem from adventure sites (caused crashes)
  • Stopped adventure camps from being aged by the age of the world repeatedly
  • Stopped certain site build orders from skipping the collapse check
  • Stopped prisoners in goblin sites from starting no quarter fights with their rescuers
  • Made people that join you stop personal/shared activities that might interfere them from following you

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Stopped felling of trees in the arena, so you wouldn't be teleported to a weird hidden region map
  • Indicated child/baby state of prisoners during look etc.

Perkel

Arcane
This is important quote:

Next up we'll be doing more bug fix releases to make sure we have a vaguely presentable DF before we disappear into a new compiler and 64 bits.

no ram limit coming to DF along with increase in FPS from new compiler.

titus

Arcane
Patron
This is important quote:

no ram limit coming to DF along with increase in FPS from new compiler.
What about multithreading?

titus

Arcane
Patron

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Fuck the progressive lefty and his boring autism. Last I heard, his game was well on its way to being a sexual degeneracy simulator, and now he'll implement shitting and pissing, just so purple-haired transgendered dwarves can choose their gendered bathroom preference.

At least there'll be no more new threads now that this is Official... right?

Perkel

Arcane
Fuck the progressive lefty and his boring autism. Last I heard, his game was well on its way to being a sexual degeneracy simulator, and now he'll implement shitting and pissing, just so purple-haired transgendered dwarves can choose their gendered bathroom preference.

At least there'll be no more new threads now that this is Official... right?

Start with 6 sows and 1 boar.
Boar is asexual :negative:

Slaughtered boar and bought new hetero one.

dNVvntX.gif

:dealwithit:

Severian Silk

Why have nicer things when less nice things sort of work?

Raapys

Arcane
Wasn't playing through visualizer possible for a while there? Prolly end of last patch cycle.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So when's this going to be playable?

Never. Every new version of DF adds more and more clutter, making the game effectively less playable by every incrementation.

"Definitely need a new UI window for a more detailed inspection of the piss-splatters on the leaves of this tree... oh fuck, do the splatters freeze when it is cold? Gotta double check. Oh wait, what if there is dragon sperm mixed with the piss?"

Prime Junta

There's a reason Minecraft is wildly popular and Dwarf Fortress is in the New York Museum of Modern Art.

DF is still the more glorious of the two though.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I must admit I enjoy RimWorld more than DF. And I wasted shitload of time on DF in a prolonged autism streaks.

Perkel

Arcane
Wasn't playing through visualizer possible for a while there? Prolly end of last patch cycle.

Not really. Only recently DFhack people managed to get into crux of DF code and Toady managed to change some things for them so they can dig down into code and recover code for UI handling. Amrok Vision is second project that actually uses that (but in very crude way and only really viable in Adventure mode), first one is iOS remote DF which has its own finished UI working properly (amrok imprementation is based upon that guys work).

So generally yes. You can play from visualizer right now but it is very crude.
It will get waaaaay better in future.

I must admit I enjoy RimWorld more than DF. And I wasted shitload of time on DF in a prolonged autism streaks.

I have love hate relationship with RimWorld.
I think RimWorld is best case of what if DF was a game and focused more on gameplay than weird shit.

On one hand i like that there is focus to what you do but on other hand there is almost 0 interesting stuff happening that can be fun later on and generally lack of Z levels kills any customization to your colony.

edit:

I mean why i can't cage goblins or some invaders pack them into carts and when the next invasion comes drop them from my minecart ballista onto them ?

Or make armor out of goblin skin and make bone arrows to kill their brethren with them ?

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03

Major bug fixes
  • Made customized magma forge jobs use metal instead of making things out of coal
  • Adjusted conflict code to stop taverngoers from joining siegers over petty grievances
  • Fixed material overcount in adv site work menu

Other bug fixes/tweaks

• Made pain from broken tissues depend on relative part size
  • Made embark profiles load fish properly
  • Made assigning an animal to a restraint remove it from pasture assignments properly
  • Made pasturing jobs respect connectivity in creation and in seeing if they should continue
  • Made dwarves remove animals assigned to pastures from cages/chains that are in the pasture
  • Fixed display error causing creature to be described as gigantic too often
  • Allowed metal mechanisms to be made from the job manager
  • Made dragonfire affect metal items and generally amplified fire effects a bit
  • Stopped veins in large mineral clusters from being improperly restricted
  • Stopped placement issue with minerals that had more than one specific environment
  • Stopped woodcutters from using axes without edges (like training axes)
  • Allowed soil critters to live in wider temperature ranges
  • Fixed problem with temperature checks on certain wilderness populations
  • Made construct mechanisms job show material
  • Made mountain travel restriction not affect other actions
  • Allowed adventure mode divers to move through deep water properly
  • Made placing items on tables remove item from your inventory properly
  • Made improvement reactions increase and apply skill properly
  • Reported site of adventurer masterpieces correctly
  • Stopped manually-set low frame rate cap from being stuck

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah but managing a colony in RomWorld is by FAR more handy. This plus frequency of raids and trade caravans.
I could not remember EVER having problems with food in DF, while in RW it's a constant issue.

Incantatar

Cipher
This year he is really working on bugs. That's pretty neat. The best year feature and bugfixing wise. DF could actually be playable on its own if he included TWBT and the dfhack labor manager now. (Sadly he doesn't give a shit about UI and graphics)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom