Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, sexbad? development on this game was rough. Id almost made a fucking "cinematic" call of duty clone before Zenimax stepped in and forced them to reboot. And still, Id was just a badly organized mess that ruined their chances with Zenimax forcing them to take control so they could get something released and make some money back on this clusterfuck of a game. For the record, this project was rebooted in late 2011, that's almost five years of development.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I know all that (although I thought it was 2012), but I didn't expect to see that many transplants from other studios. It really gives me the impression that they didn't go beyond engine stuff and some basic assets until 2014.

lightbane

Arcane
You didn't post the original Revenants map from Doom 2, which makes the comparison funnier/sadder:

soulburner

Cipher
Conspiracy theory: when Doom 4 was in development, it wasn't a bad game. It was shaping up nicely but at the same time Bethesda released the new Wolf. They saw the reviews and "much old-school, wow" opinions all over the web and decided "let's scrap Doom 4 and make a pseudo-old-school Doom instead". Also, a 'rumor' was sent out to some journalists by Bethesda that said "Doom 4 sucked, that's why we cancelled it" to make the corporation look better.

My theory is the original Doom 4 did not suck at all. It was a good game, designed 100% internally by id Software, but corporate decisions lead to shutting down the project and moving around of personnel to create what Bethesda's board of directors wanted.

soulburner

Cipher
That's what the rumor said. Maybe it wasn't a COD clone at all, but the rumor was designed by Bethesda to make gamers agree with their decision to scrap it and redo from start.
But... that's why I call it my conspiracy theory. I have absolutely no proof of anything like that happening. That's just what I think might have happened.

One more thing. I was always wondering that whenever they showed D44M before release... whenever I saw Marty Stratton describing the game and stuff he seemd very, very bored. There was like zero excitement on his face when he talked about the game he supposedly lead the design of. (But I don't know the guy, maybe he's just like that all the time) Also, where the hell is Tim Willits? He's the last original id Software team member who had something to do with Doom 2 and yet he was totally uninvolved with this project. Weird.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My theory is the original Doom 4 did not suck at all. It was a good game, designed 100% internally by id Software

:hmmm:

What do you mean by "did not suck at all"? That it was an actual old-school rather than pseudo oldschool game? If that was the case, why would they scrap it in response to reviews saying "much old-school, wow"?

soulburner

Cipher
That's just my theory. Never said it's a good theory ;) The video shows only the cinematic parts, not gameplay, which might have been good without a forced "let's make a game we can market as old-school" approach.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
UXorlrP.png

UserNamer

Cipher
uhmmm it seems from mark IV review that the game has more problems than anticipated- the game is balanced around the take downs as the main mechanic, sad. WHat a stupid design

I wonder if Id is going to do a quick follow up with an "heall on earth" sequel instead of wasting a decade rebuilding a new franchise\reboot from scratch

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Saying how that video is intentionally misleading would be a major understatement.
For those who are interested, this screenshot comes from cool user map created by some Syrian doomer
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/05/18/best-doom-snapmap/
Mappers are already creating some impressive stuff with SnapMap.:)

RPS also did an article on how infuriating the limitations on SnapMaps are, so if the shills are criticizing it then you know it's bad.
Nobody in this thread denied that SnapMap is limited in its current state. RPS however recognized its qualities like its ease of use, and you must admit that it presents good entry into FPS mapping for younger gamers.
RPS was also very excited for SnapMap's future in case that id keeps expanding it, which I have no doubt they will.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, I know who Increasing is. I won't blow his cover yet though since he's having so much fun.

Never said it's a good theory ;) The video shows only the cinematic parts, not gameplay, which might have been good without a forced "let's make a game we can market as old-school" approach.

As if this trailer was not enough there was many more of stuff connected with aborted 'Doom' revealed + opinions of people that actually watched gameplay, all of them complained about it for being 'Call of Doom' so sorry, no conspiracy in here, it was so shitty and undistingushable from typical COD clone that even Bethesda sought no hope for it.

D44M maybe not be an ideal game but without playing it I'm sure it's better than that aborted crap. If it's around Painkiller/Serious Sam /Necrovision/Quake 4 and other 'fake-retro' shooters level of quality I'm okay with that, in the kingdome of the blind one-eyed are kings and there's nothing better we can hope for anyway.

Ermm

Erudite
My theory is the original Doom 4 did not suck at all. It was a good game, designed 100% internally by id Software

:hmmm:

What do you mean by "did not suck at all"? That it was an actual old-school rather than pseudo oldschool game? If that was the case, why would they scrap it in response to reviews saying "much old-school, wow"?

Actually, having skippable cinematics, which would be shown before starting a level, would've been a somewhat acceptable compromise. It's just kind of a bummer that they didn't make a Doom game set on earth. They easily could've set it on earth, and make a soft-ish reboot, by changing the enemy design somewhat.

Still, we haven't seen any ''ŗeal'' gameplay footage from the cancelled version, so we may not know how it would've been. It's been said that the same source, who said that the cancelled version sucked, also stated that the reboot would suck.

Last edited:

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
Most popular rumor was one that claimed how first version was cancelled due to not feeling Doom-like enough, and not due to it being bad FPS in any way. And we can agree that the Doom we've got in the end is much closer to popular image of what Doom should be.

However, it is more that possible that previous version of Doom isn't wholly dead. I'd say that it is fair to assume how Doom 2 will be, much like old Doom 2, partially or wholly set on Earth so it is very possible that some of that version's ideas and story will appear in it.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Like any developer ever said anything too negative about their scrapped Projects....

We uhhh think uhhh it didnt capture our vision uhhh of yadadada is the usual awnser...

lightbane

Arcane
I can't tell if that's supposed to be for real or not, especially with that "MAJESTIC!" comment. Someone should write down a list of the latest buzzwords used so far to describe the ultimate masterpiece (TM). I remember some such as: emotionally engaging, majestic, the Citizen Kane of Games, visceral, cathartic...

tormund

Arcane

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Since I can't bring myself to keep playing DOOM44, I feel tempted to install Doom 3: BFG Edition to experience the last Doom game, however misguided, which was still made by the actual id software.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Certainly you mean vanilla Doom 3?

Doom 3 BFG has a lot of weird shit like checkpoints and shoulder-mounted flashlight, all added by Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom