Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project Temple+ * RELEASED *

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not sure if this is possible, but I probably would start adapting full BAB classes first, because fighter etc. are vastly more fun in Pathfinder. So, Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian? Archetypes? To much to choose from really. But I would gladly help with a conversion.

Gord

Arcane
Can confirm that Temple+ works fine with the download version that was available a few years ago on Gamestop/Impulse (they had that sweet deal where you got BG1+2/IWD1+2/NWN1+2/including all expansions and ToEE for ~15 bucks).

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Can confirm that Temple+ works fine with the download version that was available a few years ago on Gamestop/Impulse (they had that sweet deal where you got BG1+2/IWD1+2/NWN1+2/including all expansions and ToEE for ~15 bucks).
Oh cool, I totally forgot about that even though I probably bought that :)

What patch does it report it as?

Gord

Arcane
Oh cool, I totally forgot about that even though I probably bought that :)

What patch does it report it as?

Can't tell you right now as I don't quite remember and I'm out of town for a few days. Will tell you when I'm back on the weekend.

bloodlover

Arcane
Now that this is out, is it time to finally play this game? I am asking because I have not played TOEE before and this seems to add new features to the game. I've been meaning to play this for a long time but I've seen a lot of people here saying over and over to wait for this.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Not sure if this is possible, but I probably would start adapting full BAB classes first, because fighter etc. are vastly more fun in Pathfinder. So, Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian? Archetypes? To much to choose from really. But I would gladly help with a conversion.

I'm going to need some focus, because that's quite the handful ;)
Currently working on the high level Monk feats and the trip related feats / actions. Should be a week or two and then I'll make time for your picks :)

Any chance to get a mousewheel zoom in/out ?

Not at this stage. We'd also probably need the original art assets re-rerendered at a higher resolution otherwise it'd look blurry.

Now that this is out, is it time to finally play this game? I am asking because I have not played TOEE before and this seems to add new features to the game. I've been meaning to play this for a long time but I've seen a lot of people here saying over and over to wait for this.

That depends, are you the kind of person who only plays games once? If so, maybe you should wait, because we're still adding stuff...

Heinous Hat

Scholar
> I'm probably confused again. There seems to be an awful lot of NC in the "no NC" version of Co8.
I am not really into that either to be honest.

I have a plain vanilla installation I often use to determine exactly what's been modified over the years. The original content state is often refreshing, even with it's own set of problems. The thing I'm most disappointed with is that there hasn't been an alternative solution to NPC loot sharing, especially given how drastically the game's economy tilts in the player's favor as you advance. I'd been thinking to raise that issue as a feature request.

One of the biggest (pleasant) surprises for me was that Rannos Davl's voiced dialogue was part of the Voicing the Voiceless effort. That guy really nailed it :). And I think that the Hommlet traders in general got good treatment. Still working out what's new/restored/fixed with those quest lines and encounters.

I've used the IWD portrait pack without issue and so has Heinous Hat so I doubt it's a strictly speaking a bug. That said there might be a different behavior wrt "invalid" portraits, like ones that lack the transparency layer or whayever it was that ToEE required.

There's a few options when saving in targa format that might not play nice. Aside from the alpha layer, compression and bit depth come to mind. Have to check... haven't added any portraits from scratch lately.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
I think there's an option in the TGA format to determine whether the Y axis is flipped or not. And our code might just nonchalantly ignore that flag because it is not used in vanilla ;-)

If someone comes up with a proper use case for it, i might implement it though (especially if Vanilla handled these cases properly).

Sitra Achara

Arcane
The thing I'm most disappointed with is that there hasn't been an alternative solution to NPC loot sharing, especially given how drastically the game's economy tilts in the player's favor as you advance. I'd been thinking to raise that issue as a feature request.
That's been bothering me as well for a long time, but I think ultimately it runs way deeper than just NPC looting. I mean, even if you cut your GP by 1/2 you still have a fuckton left by endgame, and that's after giving everyone maxed out gear too.

I'm thinking about working in a Hardcore mode where among other things vendor gold is finite.

Dr. Bak

Novice
1st post for me, greetings gentlemen +M
i don't know how i should feel about troika devs. The game is unfinished but it showed how powerful was the 3.5 ruleset. They actually got really close to the D&D game i always imagined.
Besides that I thank all the efforts spent on this game from the fans, despite the few tools at disposal

Azmodeous

Barely Literate
Have you guys thought about pursuing an "Enhanced TOEE" release? WOTC and Atari settled their lawsuit a couple of years ago breaking up monopoly on publishing D&D games. People are willing to do business otherwise the enhanced Baldur's Gate series would not have been possible. I'm not sure who owns the rights to TOEE - Troika or Atari - but the individuals involved are all still around. I'm just envisioning what you could do if you had full access to the TOEE source code and tools. I would certainly support a kickstarter to "enhance" TOEE.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
There will never be a ToEE:EE because it's not commercially viable. And honestly, I've realized it's better off as a hobby project. Doing an EE would come with all kinds of undesirable baggage.

Salk

Novice
Patron
> I'm probably confused again. There seems to be an awful lot of NC in the "no NC" version of Co8.
I am not really into that either to be honest.

I have been long hoping (and once I was vocal about it at Co8) for a barebone, fix only version of the modification but it never happened.

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
I have been long hoping (and once I was vocal about it at Co8) for a barebone, fix only version of the modification but it never happened.
I'd really like that to just be integrated into TemplePlus natively and let the actual new content be part of Co8. But I don't think that's quite a bit of work ahead of us.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
It's a shitton of work if you want to be thorough. Especially because of how some fixes are tightly coupled between protos.tab, scripts and other files. If you don't want to be thorough, I reckon Co8 Standard is good enough...

Still, I'll gladly assist anyone who steps forward to take on that workload. I doubt anyone will though :P

Seban

Barely Literate
Hi,

has anybody tried to install Temple+ on Ubuntu or any other Linux release? Will it work?

Banichi

Novice

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Small update from my end:

I am currently in the process of porting TemplePlus to DirectX 11 in order to move it from the already kinda-deprecated DX9, which I initially ported the graphics engine to.

This gives us several benefits:
- Better compatibility with future versions of Windows
- Finally the ability to debug the graphics engine again, since Windows 8 removed the debug runtime of DX9 (and any support for it)
- Better debugging tools for the graphics engine (Visual Studio has a built-in graphics debugger that only works with DX11)
- Some future pie-in-the-sky stuff is only possible with DX11 (moving the animation system to the GPU for example)
- Potential for integrating DirectWrite to replace the ugly ToEE text rendering with something more fancy

Well the list could go on. The current status after about a week is that I can get ingame and it almost looks alright. There are some broken pieces left however and I am in the process of cleaning them up. It looks good already since it no longer crashes my Laptops graphics driver when starting, like it did in DX9 :)

mercyRPG

Cipher
Pugmeister: Does the Temple+ font system support bigger fonts than the vanilla ToEE? I remember someone did bigger font work that could be used for Circle of Eight or separately, but it was not easy to install [required a hack, IIRC].

Amazing work and congratulations on Temple+! Can't wait to see Total Conversions!
- Potential for integrating DirectWrite to replace the ugly ToEE text rendering with something more fancy

Pugmeister

Educated
Patron
Pugmeister: Does the Temple+ font system support bigger fonts than the vanilla ToEE? I remember someone did bigger font work that could be used for Circle of Eight or separately, but it was not easy to install [required a hack, IIRC].

You can use bigger fonts, the problem is that vanilla ToEE lays out the UI dialogs with fixed pixel offsets. So it won't account for bigger fonts and text might overlap. My current beef with Vanilla Font Rendering (which we just reimplemented 1:1 in Temple+) is mostly with their horrible kerning and no support for advanced type features (ligatures, etc.).
DirectWrite would support that and more (formatting in general, usage of arbitrary TTF/OTF fonts, etc.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom