Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jeff Vogel's games

Andhaira

Arcane
Well, that depends. While there are certainly not as many skills as in Avernum/Geneforge, the skills in Eschalon are better utilized. Hide in Shadows and move silently really work. As does meditation, and cartography.

In fact, its not possible to do stealth in vogel games ;)

Spells in Eschalon seem to be better too,m though I am still beginning it so I don't know.

Plus the envornment in Eschalon is better; more interactive. Night and lighting make a large difference.

lastly, eschalon is just Baslisk's first game. Exile 1 was relatively simple as well.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Will try Geneforge 4 (5? can't remember) and Avernum 5 to see if you guys are right and the interface got an overhaul.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Stealth is absolutely viable in GF4.

Agreed that Eschalon does some nice things and the more viable indies the better. I hope Thomas builds on this excellent beginning.

On the other hand, GF4 offers much deeper dialogue, factions and plot branching. Anyway - I'm not trying to promote a "fight" between these two - they are both worth playing in my opinion.

Andhaira

Arcane
Ah, I just recently started G4 so I don't know abou that; I'm playing eschalon first though and grimoire.

Keldorn

Scholar
Andhaira said:
Guys G4 has a pretty sweet engine and grafix. Spell effects and animations are also quite nice.

Where is the neutrality on this issue ? You are proclaiming it's sweetness, while another is bashing it.

Vogelian G4 graphics = 4.8/10 (Yes, an average)

Andhaira

Arcane
Ifyou are comparing it to today's games yeah that would be about right. But taking thegame in context, I sy the grafix rank 8.0/10.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Kos_Koa said:
So is there any way to add custom portraits/graphics or custom in-game music to Vogels games? Would be interesting from a modding standpoint.
So I guess that's a "no"?

Psilon

Erudite
In-game music? No, not a chance.

Blades of Avernum officially supports custom portraits and sprites, though it's not hard to replace the graphics in other games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom