Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
If it's releasing this year it'd have to be October or maybe December otherwise they're going to get dumped on by all the AAA titles

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Na you have a good point. Oct-December is absolutely blacked out for a title like Numenera, it'll be first quarter 2017 100%.

October's competition is too steep for it, November/December no contest, the late December slot that Just Cause traditionally releases in isn't very strong to say the least.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2 was in beta for nine months, from December to September. There's reason to believe that Torment wouldn't need as much time (more experienced team, established engine, etc).

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 was in beta for nine months, from December to September. There's reason to believe that Torment wouldn't need as much time (more experienced team, established engine, etc).

Yes but when has a video game developer ever said "oh ok we can't release the game between October-December, do you want some more time or do you just want to crunch it out and get it gold in October."

I'm sure this'll get the usual delay outta holiday season.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes but when has a video game developer ever said "oh ok we can't release the game between October-December, do you want some more time or do you just want to crunch it out and get it gold in October."

I'm sure this'll get the usual delay outta holiday season.
*shrug* They're planning for this year. For all we know it could be out in August.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Let me just point out that the release version of W2 was basically a glorified beta and that they released the finished version a year later. I'm hoping this won't be the case here.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't see why they wouldn't launch in November. It's not like they're competing for the same demographic with people who will buy Halo 8 or whatever AAA shit comes out this year.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I don't see why they wouldn't launch in November. It's not like they're competing for the same demographic with people who will buy Halo 8 or whatever AAA shit comes out this year.

Press oxygen for one. The difference between absolute maximum coverage for a game in the dead months, versus pretty much nothing in the depths of November, probably adds up to 100k+ sales.

How much of PoE's sales were based on PCGamer/Kotaku et al pretty much sperging all over it, handing out advertising money can't buy because Jason Schreier got flashbacks to the childhood he spent locked in his bedroom pretending he was a wizard? If you release in February in XCom2's release slot, or hell in Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen's last weeks of January slot, you'll be giving a gift to the paid game advertisers reviewers by giving them content. And they'll pay back, especially if the rest of the game holds up to the vertical slice we've been given.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

(ii) Never use a long word where a short one will do.

(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/05/george-orwells-six-rules-for-writing-clear-and-tight-prose.html

SniperHF

Arcane
70/30 would be about right IMO. I definitely want to spend more time sifting through info dumps, exploring and talking than fighting.

I haven't counted it out or anything, but I'd say it's closer to 85/15 in the beta content even if you intentionally fight everything you can. Keeping in mind that there is at least two locations not implemented yet but the entrances are present and both of those locations seem like they will have combat opportunities.

I suspect that a place like the bloom would have more obvious combat opportunities than Sagus Cliffs though.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Then again they didn't completely re-work the introduction to WL2 I suppose.
I mean, it went through some significant changes. One of my contributions on WL2 was helping re-design the opening Radio Tower area, which initially had a less different paths/skill choices. Not that it's like a big expansive area but I feel it hits a good cross-section of challenges/possibilities for a "first area".

That was all pre-beta though.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So, Brother None, is the next TTON beta update several months away? or maybe just a few?

Pl0x clarify ! I suppose you're still aiming for a 2016 release, too.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
So, Brother None, is the next TTON beta update several months away? or maybe just a few?
It's more a matter of weeks than months, we're testing and polishing up the early game zones along with major changes and additions. We'll share more word on social media and elsewhere when we have more info & a solid ETA.

Rev

Arcane
Nice interview, I'm glad Ziets ended up having a large role in the game. Although he's not in charge of the narrative, his presence is probably the main reason why I have some hope that inXile will finally deliver a good game this time.

Fry

Arcane
No. Nothing has changed since January.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom