Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane
I think he's referring strictly to the context of Kickstarter. I'm quite sure that Chris Avellone is and will continue to do small things on other people's games. Just not as a human stretch goal on a Kickstarter.
That would be disappointing. In the part quoted by Fairfax, by the way, he said something about wanting to make a game rather than promoting them, so maybe there's hope

Inviato dal mio D5803 utilizzando Tapatalk
He is going to:
"Any dream projects you'd like to do?"
Chris then talks about how he could pitch this to the people he knows, whether it's something he could fund himself (huh), "isn't necessarily Kickstarter".

[about pitch process] "I don't know whether it just wasn't clicking back at previous companies, but the pitches I've been involved with seem to go really well"; "the success rate for those has upped considerably, so that's been a surprising twist".

He explains in greater detail in the video, but this talk about the pitch process was also about pitching this dream project to his friends in the industry. Apparently he's still figuring out how the project will be funded.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gavin is awesome and was one of the best additions to the team. He used to work in the Netherlands before moving back to US and joining inXile, coincidentally. I'd say quite a lot (I don't know the percentages) of the writing in the beta (and the game overall) is from Gavin, so I'm glad he's starting to get his due.

Of course there are other writers that contributed a lot - George in particular, obviously, though his focus has been more on area design. But the writing he has done has been consistently nothing short of brilliant.
How many non-(US)Americans besides you and Gavin (unless Gavin is US, I may have misunderstood your post) are working at InXile proper, as far as you know?
I'm happy that they their talent scouting goes beyond the border. Long-term I think it'll be an advantage for believable character- and world-building when/if InXile decides to develope a game in a setting that isn't pure fantasy or a fantasy/what-if version of USA.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
How many non-(US)Americans besides you and Gavin (unless Gavin is US, I may have misunderstood your post) are working at InXile proper, as far as you know?
I'm happy that they their talent scouting goes beyond the border. Long-term I think it'll be an advantage for believable character- and world-building when/if InXile decides to develope a game in a setting that isn't pure fantasy or a fantasy/what-if version of USA.
Full-time there's not that many of us, I don't know everyone's origins but I think other than me and sea all the full-time people are US Americans (sea being Canadian). It does help that some of the Americans have more international orientations of course, like Gavin or Adam Heine. And we do have a lot of contract people from Europe, Asia and elsewhere. Most modern-day companies of our size should not shy away from employing off-site and international talent, and Brian is always keeping an eye out, especially when it comes to artists (Chang Yuan, for example).

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You guys are really obsessed with this, then again, celebrity gossip is a highly profitable industry.

I'm surprised that nobody here made a photo montage with Avellone on a tabloid cover.

As much as you might make assumptions about them, they certainly starts to make assumptions about you";
"You know, Chris could never make interface design, Chris could never explore systems, [deepens voice] what Chris does is...we want Chris to write, and if Chris starts talking, Chris should probably just write some more! [laughs] eventually you kind of just get tired of it, and I just wanted to do new things.

So that is the real reason! He wanted to do more design and they didn't let him!

Last edited:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
"You know, Chris could never make interface design, Chris could never explore systems, [deepens voice] what Chris does is...we want Chris to write, and if Chris starts talking, Chris should probably just write some more! [laughs] eventually you kind of just get tired of it, and I just wanted to do new things.
So that is the real reason! He wanted to do more design and didn't let him!

"I wasn't happy any longer ff...uh..on...just....focusing on one thing, day after day, specially if that was...troublesome and I had no control over what was going on".
also sounds like writer's block.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
In the German podcast he mentions upcoming projects he didn't want to work on. PoE 2 seems to be a likely candidate.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
He also says that he doesn't care about money anymore, so his stake in Obsidian fetched him a good price apparently.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
After all the above mentioned I have the impression, that Avellone was a kind of man-gag, man whom they threw to where some work is urgently needed to perform well and to caulk resulting hole, the man who works more and harder then others, and who feels left out in the cold.

Perkel

Arcane
Only real progress for MCA is to create his own universe from scratch.

Fairfax

Arcane

Don't remember this problem being mentioned before. I wonder where this interference came from? Perhaps WOTC itself?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Well, Chris is totally hire-able.

The question we should ask ourselves is: what do we need to do to hire him to produce something the codex digs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom