Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone tells all on My Favourite Game

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Was Fergus that upset at Cain and co. for leaving BI tho?

Fairfax

Arcane
I wonder how long this will go on for.
Will Obsidian ask him back in whatever capacity he wants? Or is the severing permanent you think?
I doubt they could even bring him back with more authority than he had. He was co-founder, partner and creative director.
Also, there's one more detail (which I think he'll share soon) that suggests it wasn't a friendly departure.

Was Fergus that upset at Cain and co. for leaving BI tho?
Yeah, they left the company in the middle of FO2's development.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Troika seemed far more bitter about it.

Swdzbxp.jpg

Slams against Troika in Black Isle games: Zero.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's especially petty given that Black Isle didn't exist anymore when VTMB was released.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Saying Bloodlines is better than Fallout and Torment is fighting words.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think that's up to personal preference, they're all pretty damn great.

I asked a friend to try to play Fallout and he said he can't, the perspective makes him dizzy. If only they remade it as an FPS, he says.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Avellone is a writer, writing walls of text is sorta what writers do. Maybe the problem isn't writing walls of text, unless Chris hates being a writer, I think this playing with alot of projects speak more of his age, when you are 40 to 50 , 3 years stuck on a single project becomes too much. It is a pity for us he wasted more than a decade of productive life on Obsidian.

Where else was he going to go from mid-2000's really? To make quality RPG's for EA, Activision? Indie scene wasn't really big at the time with no simple distribution system like Steam and crowdfunding wasn't a thing. Best he could do would be to sell wares in the hundreds or low thousands like the KoTC guy or Vogel! Had no real alternative at that point than to stay at Obsidian and hope for the odd good project.

Saying Bloodlines is better than Fallout and Torment is trolling words.

fixed for accuracy.

Last edited:

TimCain

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer

Troika seemed far more bitter about it.

Swdzbxp.jpg

Slams against Troika in Black Isle games: Zero.
It's childish, but we don't know the details. Took Tim Cain almost 15 years to work with them again, so it must've been bad.

That sticker does not refer to Black Isle Studios, but to BIS, the Scottish indie band, which I really like, btw. Their album, Plastique Nouveau, had come out while Temple of Elemental Evil was being developed alongside of Bloodlines, and several of us on ToEE were listening to it a lot at work. One of the BL artists HATED that album and snuck that sticker into Bloodlines, and the game shipped without anyone noticing it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So many people over the years thought that was a dig at Black Isle. That damned artist :lol:

Mustawd

Avellone is a writer, writing walls of text is sorta what writers do. Maybe the problem isn't writing walls of text, unless Chris hates being a writer, I think this playing with alot of projects speak more of his age, when you are 40 to 50 , 3 years stuck on a single project becomes too much. It is a pity for us he wasted more than a decade of productive life on Obsidian.

Exactly. I think the guy just wants the diversity and freedom to choose projects that comes with being a sought-after freelancer. Honestly, I don't think it gets more complicated than that. The rest is just noise imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Developer
I think the "Black Isle" seeming-slam that most folks at BIS noticed was in a slice of dialogue in Arcanum referring to the "you mean the Black Isle?" and a follow-up of, "no one would ever want to go there," - I think it was in segments related to the Isle of Despair. Whether it actually was a Black Isle slam, I don't recall, but it was easy to interpret it as one. I don't think anyone really gives a shit about it all now, though - I don't.

But that said - the tension within the studio was pretty unpleasant following the departure, and it was mixed with a measure of confusion because it wasn't clear at first what had happened (or why it had happened), just that everyone leading FO2 was suddenly gone.

Considering what was going on (hey, Fallout's successful, why doesn't every non-developer in every part of the company jump in and try to guide the ship despite the fact it's going fine already), I don't blame anyone, that situation basically sucks - but I only saw it/heard it from the outside, so take that with a grain of salt.

I will say FO2 suffered without the three of them heading the ship and maintaining the vision - not to mention the subsequent loss of other folks who jumped ship, even if they weren't working on FO2 - we lost a lot of good people. But hey, that says just as much about the studio unable to keep them on board as much as the promise of better opportunities elsewhere.

I still rue the fact the original F2 artwork for the game cover was never used. :/

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
This is all false, according to my sources you guys listen only to the music that fits the setting of the game you're working on.

So Power Rangers theme for both Fallouts, Omen theme on loop for Temple of Elemental Evil, and She Wolf by Shakira for Arcanum.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Just one moment here, my dear Chris Avellone ... Isle of Despair? You actually got there during your Arcanum playthrough?

Does that mean you'll be continuing the promised Arcanum LP? :smug:

Teh codex nevar forgets!

PS: I can totally sympathize with that Bloodlines artist.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Never underestimate the power of wolf diplomacy, ghostdog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom