Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Salt And Sanctuary (2D "Souls" game)

Dyskolos

Cipher
It's still enjoyable but it's more and more seeming like so many of these bosses are dependent more on setup than on skill. Not quite gimmicky but making for too wide a difference in difficulty level - where figuring out the right combo of attack type and elemental weakness changes what would be a scrappy drain all your potions fight into a 15 second stomp where you're barely touched. Maybe it's their way of encouraging adaptability but it's leading me to the trial and error approach instead of actually learning attack patterns and timing. So I don't feel nearly as satisfied beating something tough as in actual Souls.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Sigh...

Another game that tries too much without solving the most basic thing: Gameplay. Salt & Sanctuary, Hyper Light Drifter, Jotun, even Apotheon, all have interesting ideas, want to pose a challenge to the players "because Dark Souls is difficult and people like it" but fuck up combat.

Shitty hitboxes, parry fails a lot and acts as regular attack, sometimes when you leave shield button and hit attack makes a parry, enemies hit you in recovery etc etc.

It's a good game, it's really well done and I like it. It's not like HLD which is a pile of shit. But it needed a respectable amount of work in gameplay before launch.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I haven't notcied shit hit boxes at all. Although, most swords do extend beyond their animations. But that's a feature, not a bug.

Half way through NG+. Much harder than NG, which was too easy. Deciding if I should branch out into magic, or pump STR despite the soft cap. Some of the two handed swords take more advantage of higher STR. Wish Dex had another benefit, but as it is it's basically just an alternate STR.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Rofl... Brainfart.

I personally like Salt & Sanctuary alot, for some reason i find exploring highly entertaining.

Villagkouras

Arcane
They nailed exploring. Unfortunately the missed everything else. Wow, this game makes me want to start a review blog just to shit on it.

:1/5:

Angthoron

Arcane
Well it's true though, the game doesn't handle like ass like a Souls game should, UI isn't anywhere as fucking backwards, writing isn't anywhere as Japanese... The man is absolutely right, it completely misses the merits of a Souls game.

:troll:

Gotta say though, the skill tree is absolutely needlessly inflated. Why are there 10109579075 +1 stat nodes, each of which seemingly with a LIMITLESS amount of points you can put into it? I suppose it looks nice but what's the actual fucking point? It serves at least a mild purpose in Path of Exile, for example, but in this game it's just to make things annoying. And you can't even zoom in and out properly. And if the nodes at least did something interesting. Which they don't. Oh hey Heavy Armor 5, whooppeeedoo.

Lerk

Learned
They nailed exploring. Unfortunately the missed everything else. Wow, this game makes me want to start a review blog just to shit on it.

:1/5:

Are you playing on pad or m/kb? Controls are tight on a pad, I can parry all day erryday here and I'm bad at it in Souls.

I'm enjoying this more than DS2 :Mbalance is out of whack here and there (striking weapons overpowered vs. anything else, greatswords/hammers swing too fast for the damage they put out, any weapon with reach and an arc is ezmode, weapon buffs are too plentiful, magic is...poor) but it's an amazing effort from a two person team. There are some areas where it beats out Souls too (salt recovery from bosses, Creeds)

I'm hoping a sequel will iron out the kinks. Worthy game though.

Lerk

Learned
Gotta say though, the skill tree is absolutely needlessly inflated. Why are there 10109579075 +1 stat nodes, each of which seemingly with a LIMITLESS amount of points you can put into it? I suppose it looks nice but what's the actual fucking point? It serves at least a mild purpose in Path of Exile, for example, but in this game it's just to make things annoying. And you can't even zoom in and out properly. And if the nodes at least did something interesting. Which they don't. Oh hey Heavy Armor 5, whooppeeedoo.
Yup. Frustrating since grey pearls are hand placed and can't be grinded :argh:

Villagkouras

Arcane
Hmm... I couldn't leave the game yet, because I really like the exploring aspect. So, I switched to a controller, as Lerk said, and parry, jumping and rolls are significantly better.

Also, I decided to run naked with a 2h greataxe and I'm doing much better now with the extra mobility. I killed the Stench boss easily. Looking forward to continue.

is there a cheaper boss in this game than the witch of the lake? what a fucking rng cunt spamming her shitty spells. and here i was finally having fun from red hall cages to ruinded temple :negative:

Never had an issue with her while playing melee; fight is over too soon for her to do anything.
well my problem was getting hit by one of her two spells. one where she spams little white stars in front of her. you get hit by one of them it moves your character and you get hit by next one and than the next etc. the other shitty one is that red meteors attacks. she tends to combine those attacks:negative: i also hate how she seemingly leaves area and floats above. she is dead but felt really cheap compared to other bosses (third lamb, samurai guy or inquisitor)

what lvl you were fighting her? i am abut 60 and although my dps is pretty good i am getting one shotted by many boss attacks and even some mobs like porcelain doles kills me with one hit :salute: retard question: is there any way to increase your hp pool? or you get just more health with new lvl?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never had an issue with her while playing melee; fight is over too soon for her to do anything.
well my problem was getting hit by one of her two spells. one where she spams little white stars in front of her. you get hit by one of them it moves your character and you get hit by next one and than the next etc. the other shitty one is that red meteors attacks. she tends to combine those attacks:negative: i also hate how she seemingly leaves area and floats above. she is dead but felt really cheap compared to other bosses (third lamb, samurai guy or inquisitor)

what lvl you were fighting her? i am abut 60 and although my dps is pretty good i am getting one shotted by many boss attacks and even some mobs like porcelain doles kills me with one hit :salute: retard question: is there any way to increase your hp pool? or you get just more health with new lvl?
HP is when you level up. Have upgraded your armor?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You get more each level. Armour also gives you % based damage reduction, but generally isn't very effective imo. I just stacked on a ton of damage and founds things died faster than me pretty much always, especially towards endgame. Are you using weapon buffs or the stamina regen buff? How much stamina do you have?

You get more each level. Armour also gives you % based damage reduction, but generally isn't very effective imo. I just stacked on a ton of damage and founds things died faster than me pretty much always, especially towards endgame. Are you using weapon buffs or the stamina regen buff? How much stamina do you have?
weapon buffs. so far light armor + jaws of death +6+some minor cleric spells. no upgrades on armor cause i change them a lot - based on what resistance i need.
stats STR 37 END 12 DEX 8 WILL 19 MAG 5 WIS 14 :M

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You can use both actually, but I found the stamina regen buff to be overkill on most fights. I actually ran the game pretty much naked (I wore some really light stuff for fashion points) with just a bigass sword/hammer the whole time. Stats look decent enough. Maybe you just had some rough RNG on her or something? I don't recall her ever flying upwards even when I had a drawn out (series) of fights trying to kill her with shitty magic spells. I remember her homing beams being annoying but aside from that just running up and going berserk worked pretty well. There's a save point like 1 screen away anyways.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm in the Red Cells whatever after Storm castle with the lvl 3 great mace (Obsidian Pillar?), one or two-shotting everything. I am lvl 50, and don't really feel compelled to keep playing because I feel I've seen all the system is willing to give.

Is the rest of the content any good?

---

Arcane
You are super over-leveled. At that point I was at level 30-35, of course you kill everything with one or two hits.

I'm in the Red Cells whatever after Storm castle with the lvl 3 great mace (Obsidian Pillar?), one or two-shotting everything. I am lvl 50, and don't really feel compelled to keep playing because I feel I've seen all the system is willing to give.

Is the rest of the content any good?
you will get more brands letting you shadow flipping/wall jumping and traversing some barriers. So unless you are explorationfag like me you have seen pretty much everything from gameplay standpoint. Combat/bosses/enemies/loot will not change much in 2nd half of the game.

Lvl 50 around Storm castle is seriously to high. But i lose 20-30k salt every half an hour to jump puzzles or some shitty mobs so maybe i am under-leveled ?:?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
You are super over-leveled. At that point I was at level 30-35, of course you kill everything with one or two hits.
There was a nice Altar at the top of the castle near 3 giants, each giant gives >1500 salt (2x rings of extra salt, stone guardian) and dies in 3 hits + all mooks around give another 2k. A level was ~3-5k salt. 30-60 minutes of farming the priest mooks for Amber idols and the giants for the greathammer put me waaaaay ahead of the game.

you will get more brands letting you shadow flipping/wall jumping and traversing some barriers. So unless you are explorationfag like me you have seen pretty much everything from gameplay standpoint. Combat/bosses/enemies/loot will not change much in 2nd half of the game.
I am, or I would be if I saw any value on the items you get from exploring, but weapons are behind farming and I don't even use any armor because every boss is a DPS race. Plus the new corners are not very smart/well hidden, so the wonder of discovery is quite low :(

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Started playing this, and so far I've made it to the dragon.

I like it quite a lot, although there are a few nagging things. For some reason I have to reenable mouse controls every time I boot the game (so I can aim my spells properly). The game also seems just as linear as the third dark souls right now, I was really hoping for for more non-linearity.

Also, the regular enemies are too easy. Bosses are fine (I usually need a few tries on them), but most enemies go down like chumps without much thought or effort. Thankfully there's some neat platforming to go with it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Started playing this, and so far I've made it to the dragon.

I like it quite a lot, although there are a few nagging things. For some reason I have to reenable mouse controls every time I boot the game (so I can aim my spells properly). The game also seems just as linear as the third dark souls right now, I was really hoping for for more non-linearity.

Also, the regular enemies are too easy. Bosses are fine (I usually need a few tries on them), but most enemies go down like chumps without much thought or effort. Thankfully there's some neat platforming to go with it.

I'm stuck at the Wyrm. Varangian Spatha upgraded to 4 ... and I'm doing very little damage to the Wyrm boss.

Edit: Never mind I found out that I have to stay under it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
For the Wyrm specifically, you should
use the Impen Crest ring and the Phoenix Rondache shield, both of which can be found in the Castle of Storms before you reach the Wyrm, to protect against its fire attacks. And the Wyrm has lower resistance to strike damage than slash damage. Also any elemental damage helps, except poison.

More generally, since the game allows you two setups of weapons/shields/charms, you should be switching in combat between a one-handed weapon plus shield setup and a two-handed weapon setup, primarily using the latter to damage foes. I started as a Knight relying on the Varangian Spatha plus shield (soon adding a spear plus shield as a second setup), but after dying to the Kraken Cyclops boss, I tried using a two-handed weapon with low enough weight (<75% of maximum) to roll, and found it's greatly superior to be able to switch between the two setups than to rely solely on a shield with just a one-handed weapon.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
That dragon has to be the weirdest difficulty spike in modern gaming history.

Took me more tries (50?) than all the other bosses combined. I had the fire proof shield ,used a mace and was at least level 30.

Good game though, my first playthrough took me 40 hours, but I got lost a lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom