Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Chris is totally hire-able.

The question we should ask ourselves is: what do we need to do to hire him to produce something the codex digs?

Let's be real here, he'd have to be nuts to take that contract
Why?

I'm assuming it would be a matter many of us chipping in some cash, in which case he could never possibly please us all. He's already said he dislikes people above him interfering with his work, imagine the headaches he'd have from the mountain of differing opinions. He'd never do it

Fairfax

Arcane
Don't remember this problem being mentioned before. I wonder where this interference came from? Perhaps WOTC itself?

I think very few people on this forum know anything about the Dark Alliance games. A hole in our education; sometimes playing one of Black Isle's more obscure titles can yield dividends: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/descent-to-undermountain-looks-pretty-good.83774/

Could they be emulated, I wonder?
"The variety of NPCs and dialogue and quest options is pretty cool and you can tell immediately that this is a Chris Avellone game."

But yeah, a lot of people seem surprised that Descent to Undermountain is fun.

SymbolicFrank

Magister

The question we should ask ourselves is: what do we need to do to hire him to produce something the codex digs?

Why?

I'm assuming it would be a matter many of us chipping in some cash, in which case he could never possibly please us all. He's already said he dislikes people above him interfering with his work, imagine the headaches he'd have from the mountain of differing opinions. He'd never do it
It is easy to think of reasons why things won't work. The trick is in thinking of reasons why things would work. Bonus points if you can think of reasons why it would work really well.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is easy to think of reasons why things won't work. The trick is in thinking of reasons why things would work. Bonus points if you can think of reasons why it would work really well.

I guess that's a better way to look at it, but I just honestly can't imagine he'd agree to it

SymbolicFrank

Magister

I guess that's a better way to look at it, but I just honestly can't imagine he'd agree to it
That's where you would score the bonus points ;)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Why?

All he has to do is make Torment 2.0. Who gives a fuck about pleasing the entire Codex.

Chris needs to play Underrail. That is what I make of his talk the most. Chris, seriously for fuck's sake, go play Underrail NOW!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Chris Avellone Underrail experience would probably be even more painful than Arcanum.

Arcanum has a map.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
"Your perspectives narrow when you're continually in that same environment";
"As much as you might make assumptions about them, they certainly starts to make assumptions about you";
"You know, Chris could never make interface design, Chris could never explore systems, [deepens voice] what Chris does is...we want Chris to write, and if Chris starts talking, Chris should probably just write some more! [laughs] eventually you kind of just get tired of it, and I just wanted to do new things"

So, MCA was basically thrown into the writing room and ignored. That was probably pretty annoying.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Soon he will hit critical state and all will be revealed! All the glorious details will be almost too much.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I don't think "pleasing the Codex" is an idea that exists inside his head.

Then again, "making the best game ever", probably does exists as an active thought in his head. Just like "making lots of money".

Deleted Member 16721

I simply disagree with Chris that rolling character stats via RNG is an archaic RPG mechanic.

I think it can still be used very effectively and in interesting situations in modern RPG video games.

I also disagree that class-less character building systems are inherently more interesting than class-based systems. There are many other character development factors to take into consideration that defines an interesting RPG experience.

I think the basic thought that calling any RPG mechanic "archaic" is self-limiting yourself and your pool of ideas to draw from in some ways. History repeats itself, old ideas get revisited and what was once thought of as "archaic" comes back eventually, sometimes in a big way (as evidenced by the recent surge in old-school RPGs, particularly via Kickstarter and Pillars of Eternity).

Just my 2 cents. :)

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Rolling for stats is only interesting if you're expected to choose your class after you've received your stats; something many people don't want to do. If you do do it, you souldn't then be allowed to move points to other stats and the dice should probably be fudged so that the point total is even - no point sitting for forty minutes pressing reroll in BG1 until you get 90+ total stats.

Personally I like the idea for a PnP session if you have a group who's more interested in roleplaying than character building, can't see a scenario where it works better than point buy in a video game because character building is so important to people.

Deleted Member 16721

"Better" is subjective.

RNG rolling of stats can be interesting in different applications. I like the approach where you roll 6 times and then apply those numbers to the stats of your choosing. Or, maybe getting a set number of rolls and being able to choose the highest ones. There are many ways you can flip the idea.

You can even combine RNG rolling and point-buy like Elminage Gothic, which means rolling for a total amount of stat points to spend on your choosing.

I can come up with many different ways to flip RNG for a new RPG system. My basic idea is that there aren't any bad RPG ideas, only bad implementations of ideas, and also potentially good ones as well. There is a huge pool to draw from. Don't limit yourselves in the possibilities.

It's not necessarily that there is a true "better" solution, only different applications for different scenarios. RNG can add a slight bit of necessary limitation at times, or have you have to "settle" for a stat that isn't quite optimum. Or, on the flip side, rolling a very high stat and getting an intrinsic starting boost for your character. It can lead to different interesting scenarios.

jmt

Barely Literate
I keep seeing these interviews with Avellone alluding to issues at Obsidian. Does anyone know why he wasn't in a more senior position at Obsidian? I mean, he was a co-founder and he was almost certainly the most experienced writer on Pillars. So why wasn't he "Creative Director" or "Lead Narrative Designer"? Why didn't he have more creative control?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom