Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I quite like this game so far. It feels dense, even more so than PS:T at this early stage of the game. Sure, it feels self-aware that it is following in PS:Ts' footsteps...but I'm also sort of glad for that. I can't quite think of a sequel, spiritual or not, that feels this closely-hedged to the original in aesthetics, style, gameplay, design, etc. The new stuff feels innovative, the tb combat is very welcome, the art direction cohesive. Great stuff.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Didn't get far. I got to the tutorial combat encounter, and then the game bugged out and nothing I clicked worked. Couldn't end my turn, couldn't attack anyone, couldn't use spells. It was working fine until I tried to cast Onslaught. The biggest disappointment for me is how they bastardized the Numenera rule system. FFS why is there HP? Numenera does not have HP.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Didn't get far. I got to the tutorial combat encounter, and then the game bugged out and nothing I clicked worked. Couldn't end my turn, couldn't attack anyone, couldn't use spells. It was working fine until I tried to cast Onslaught.
Can you send your game logs to us at support@inxile.net? Navigate to <your Steam install path>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Torment Tides of Numenera\WIN\TidesOfNumenera_Data on your computer, and send us the output_log.txt file there (please make sure this is from immediately after the issue occurs; if you restart the game afterwards, this file will be overwritten and may not contain the information we need).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The whole stat system is kinda useless now because of HP. I mean it works, but it lost its uniqueness.

Didn't get far. I got to the tutorial combat encounter, and then the game bugged out and nothing I clicked worked. Couldn't end my turn, couldn't attack anyone, couldn't use spells. It was working fine until I tried to cast Onslaught.
Can you send your game logs to us at support@inxile.net? Navigate to <your Steam install path>\Steam\SteamApps\common\Torment Tides of Numenera\WIN\TidesOfNumenera_Data on your computer, and send us the output_log.txt file there (please make sure this is from immediately after the issue occurs; if you restart the game afterwards, this file will be overwritten and may not contain the information we need).

Sure, I'll do that.

Edit: Sent.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
THEN WHY IN THE BLOODY VAGINAL BURP DID THEY RETARD PROOF THE GAME BY ADDING IN A FUCKING HEALTH BAR?
Lol you're focking hilarious man. Take a chill pill and relax, life doesn't revolve around a video game. Let it go and move on.

Sent from my Xperia ZR using Tapatalk

You obviously are on a wrong forum.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know, if you feel that you have to make something as ridiculously dumbed down as Numenera even more "accessible" to your players, then I have bad news either about your players or your attitude towards them...

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You know, if you feel that you have to make something as ridiculously dumbed down as Numenera even more "accessible" to your players, then I have bad news either about your players or your attitude towards them...
I wouldn't exactly attach a "dumbed down" label to Numenera because the label is meaningless without context. You won't call an adventure game "dumbed down" because it doesn't have RPG stats, will you? Minimalistic rulesets have their uses. (E.g. I've played a lot of forum-based RPGs and I can tell you that trying to do that using a full-fledged system like D&D by the book is pure hell. It's usually hard enough to get people to post regularly even without having a long and productive discussion about which rule applies in every particular situation.) I completely agree with you on the attitude part though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's this bullshit thinking that good design means accessibility, and of course arrogance makes designers believe they can make a system accessible to everyone but totally very deep and interesting to satisfy the hardcore audience too, believe us!!!!.
Pure bullshit.

And who knows, maybe inXile uses the same kind of testers as Obsidian does, which as I understand are of subhuman intelligence. So what a surprise, huh?

Prime Junta

I find this discussion over dumbing down or making Numenera more accessible rather odd, because the prime directive of the Numenera design was to make it piss-easy. The rules can be explained to anyone in 5 minutes, there's a pile of fallbacks (like the rest rules) to stop you from accidentally your whole character, and it's generally intended to be as n00b-friendly and simple as humanly possible.

Which is good if that's the kind of game you want to make. It doesn't translate well to a computer however, and therefore I'm all for inXile turning it into something completely different if it makes for a better game.

Buuuut... I'm not totally onboard with this particular decision (the healthbar). Yeah damage does usually come out of the Might pool, and yeah you could gimp yourself by making, say, a Speed-focused character neglecting Might and then getting clobbered constantly. Thing is, you're forced to put points into a pool on every tier, and you would really have to be colossally dim not to understand that if you're getting constantly dropped in combat because your Might pool is 2, maybe you ought to put some more points into it. This is not at all like, say, D&D where your attributes are more or less fixed on character creation; Numenera lets you correct your mistakes as you go.

That said, I'm not a fan of Numenera's damage and rest mechanics. I think they're clunky and unnecessarily game-y. I believe there are better solutions which are just about equally easy to understand and play.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris Avellone would definitely keep putting points into intellect while constantly getting into fights on account of role playing.

Prime Junta

Chris Avellone would definitely keep putting points into intellect while constantly getting into fights on account of role playing.

That would only be a problem if he was playing a glaive.

Wouldn't put it past him though.

Just tried the new beta. I absolutely love everything they have done with the game at this point. It already feels like a classic in every corner I look on the map. A lot of improvement over the last release. Can't wait to play this at full game. Keep up the good work!

Only one question : can't seen to make the fonts large again. Is that a bug?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So, on the subject of risk and reward... since you can still expand points for tasks, are tasks like an opportunity window that pops up and is gone, or can you always come back to most tasks will full pools?

Prime Junta

So, on the subject of risk and reward... since you can still expand points for tasks, are tasks like an opportunity window that pops up and is gone, or can you always come back to most tasks will full pools?

Some you can decide not to attempt and come back later. Others -- many of them -- happen in dialog and if you don't try, or fail, the opportunity is gone. A few of these allow second attempts, which usually costs something.

There are also consequences for resting. I haven't noticed anything super-dramatic in the beta, but they're there. I suspect that this will become a more pressing concern as you get deeper into the game. I'm quite curious to see if the team has the gonads to make those consequences bite so you can't just rest-spam and Effort your way through everything.

(Because, yes, Effort is a shit mechanic that trivialises everything. Maybe I should put a "ceterum censeo" before that, or put it in my .sig... but then I'm not quite that obsessed about Numenera or T:ToN.)

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Am i the only one who finds some of the environments dull?

260px-Yin_yang.svg.png

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Am i the only one who finds some of the environments dull?
Nope,for me everything seems out of place,the mutiple happy go colored contraptions in the background and the whole art in general seems to not blend together at all.It feels like they have different art teams and they never cooperate with each other,not feeling it at all.

Feels more like a PoE expansion with more choices.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe it is. I feel that some locations are too "fantasy standard".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom