Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Skyrim is far better RPG than Q2 was FPS and I'm talking vanilla here. Better FPS too, come to think of it..

Skyrim barely qualifies as an RPG (even Oblivion was less streamlined), it's a console hiking sim made in a Gamebryo engine. Quake 2 has quite a number of faults (departure from the art design of the original, slow reacting enemies, bullet-spongy protagonist etc.) but its gunplay and level design alone elevate it far above Bethesda's post-Morrowind junk.

Ivan

Arcane
Quake 2 engine games feel loose and flabby to me compared to the tightness and responsiveness of Quake 1.

fuck me, I remember how horribad those guns were to use

Might be a question that was already answered multiple times, but does anyone know the story behind ID leaving the cool as fuck atmosphere and themes of Q1 for the "humaneety at war with alien robots from spacee hurrrr" of Q2 and beyond?

Yes. Quake 2 was supposed to be an entirely different game unrelated to Quake 1. They had a new name picked out for it (or perhaps several candidates), but were unable to acquire the trademarks, so they just said fuck it and called it Quake 2.

otsego

Cipher
LGR has pretty bro tastes, and he endorses NuDoom

I'm conflicted, my earlier experience with MP was awful, but could the single player actually be worth it?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Stalker was an outliner. Genre died before that, around 2003 or so. And shooters as pinnacle of computer graphics died with the first Crysis, so we don't even get that anymore.

Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
In retrospect it is both sad and hilarious, I guess.
These people did not see the light and logic in 2012, do you think they will see it now? Quake 2 as per our doom connoisseur was 'revolutionary', while this game is super bad, and serious sam is a trashbin shooter (probably on tourist). Ugh, okay (and i didnt play this game yet).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Quake 2 engine games feel loose and flabby to me compared to the tightness and responsiveness of Quake 1.

fuck me, I remember how horribad those guns were to use

My issue with Q2 multiplayer is how fugly the maps look.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Vanilla Quake 2 can look much better than it does in that video, from the looks of it that player enabled some fullbright faggotry.

Also, Edge is a great map, the original version that is:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
LGR has pretty bro tastes, and he endorses NuDoom

I'm conflicted, my earlier experience with MP was awful, but could the single player actually be worth it?

He also endorsed Fallout 4. His bro tastes are mostly in what concerns old electronics.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Edge is a great map
Yea Edge was by and far the most popular map back in the day, and for good reason. It was simply fun to play on and had a better layout than most other Q2 maps, the arena in the center was another big reason. The only other map i can remember playing deathmatch on is Warehouse or was it factory?

Now that i think about it, most Q2 maps were p. shit.

DraQ

Arcane
you making a comparison to Skyrim instantly invalidates your posts every time, lolol
I'm making comparisons to Skyrim, because this ensures the flow of poorly veiled butthurt I derive amusement from watching.
Doesn't make it less true, obviously, but that's not my main motivation.

RTCW was kind of meh too.
Besides stealth missions and the final bits, it's p. good. In other words, when you're running and gunning nazis.
I'm not saying it was bad, but I barely remember any of it which is usually a bad sign. I generally tend to remember even sucky stuff I played.

Dishonored is awful, i don't know how people can like this game. The character models look stupid and the gameplay was way more arcade than i was expecting, it felt too much like other Bethesda games and that's a no no.
Great movement, good incorporation of movement into gameplay, good freedom of approach, fun to use combat mechanics, nice and unique enough setting.

Sure, stealth sucked and "painterly style" didn't quite work out,, but overall it was very fun to play and it's not like DeusEx-likes are dime a dozen.
vanilla Q2 was just mediocre
Single player was medicore yes but Q2 multiplayer is a completely diferent story. Few FPS's can match what Q2 brought to the table. Have you ever played Q2 multiplayer?
No or not for long. I was refering to SP. Q2's main downfall - hilariously impotent enemies - doesn't apply to MP for obvious reasons.

praetor

Arcane
I remember having fun with the Jailbreak mod for Q2. This was despite having gAyOL for internet and only one telephone line. Jesus that shit was a nightmare.

jailbreak, weapons of destruction, action quake, gloom... man did i "waste" a metric shitton of time on those mods (plus vanilla dm and ctf). brings a tear to my eye... :(

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Sure, stealth sucked
This was my biggest gripe with Dishonored. It was advertised as a fucking stealth game and failed miserably at it. It ended up being just another mindless hack and slash push W to go forward slaughter everything in your way FPS action romp. It was extremely disappointing. The movement in the game also felt clunky, like some shitty console shooter.

Tldr: I was expecting something more along the lines of Thief.

pippin

It was supposedto be slightly inspired by Thief but not a 100% stealth game. However we all know what happened with the playtesters...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's more of a game you can stealth than a stealth game.

The problem is achieving the good ending requires playing it like a stealth game.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
This was my biggest gripe with Dishonored. It was advertised as a fucking stealth game.

Not really.
Through my eyes it did. He wears a cloak with a hood, everything looks dark and brooding etc. It pulled quite a few Thief strings for me.

Yea i'm probably wrong, it wasn't advertised as a stealth game, i guess i just wanted another Thief type stealth game that played like Thief so badly at the time that i hyped myself up too much.
However we all know what happened with the playtesters...
?
The problem is achieving the good ending requires playing it like a stealth game.
Yea it just felt like the stealth mechanic was just tacked on and violence was the best option for all the levels. Killing and stabbing shit is fun and all, but it's just not what i expect with a stealth/thief type game, more skullduggery, cloak and shadow and stalking.

Thief really set the bar for me with these type of games, it was just jarring for me to see this change from going in and out of levels unseen/unheard and blackjacking the odd guard here and there to: mindless slaughter is the best answer for everything. It defeats the purpose of the genre.

Last edited:

pippin

Dishonored empowers would-be assassins with multiple angles of attack, but apparently some choices present themselves a bit more strongly than others: aGames On Net interview reveals developer Arkane plugged in a few more hints after players lost direction.

"People would just walk around during playtesting of the 'Lady Boyle' mission," Dishonored executive producer Julien Roby said. "They didn't know what to do. They didn't even go upstairs because a guard told them they couldn't. They'd say, 'Okay, I can't go upstairs.' They wouldn't do anything."

Roby explained that a few clues now nudge Corvo along his noble mission of sinking his dagger into his target, saying, "We try not to lead the player by the nose, but at some point we found that if we don't give a little information, people just get lost and don't know what to do. It's just overwhelming. So we tried to add this element that gave just a hint to help a little. But we try to do it as little as possible."

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Codex is so obsessed with the "Dishonored is not Thief!!!!1" whining that it can't even be contained in the actual Dishonored thread :lol:

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Dishonored empowers would-be assassins with multiple angles of attack, but apparently some choices present themselves a bit more strongly than others: aGames On Net interview reveals developer Arkane plugged in a few more hints after players lost direction.

"People would just walk around during playtesting of the 'Lady Boyle' mission," Dishonored executive producer Julien Roby said. "They didn't know what to do. They didn't even go upstairs because a guard told them they couldn't. They'd say, 'Okay, I can't go upstairs.' They wouldn't do anything."

Roby explained that a few clues now nudge Corvo along his noble mission of sinking his dagger into his target, saying, "We try not to lead the player by the nose, but at some point we found that if we don't give a little information, people just get lost and don't know what to do. It's just overwhelming. So we tried to add this element that gave just a hint to help a little. But we try to do it as little as possible."

Brutha, this post injured me.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
RTCW was kind of meh too.
Besides stealth missions and the final bits, it's p. good. In other words, when you're running and gunning nazis.
I'm not saying it was bad, but I barely remember any of it which is usually a bad sign. I generally tend to remember even sucky stuff I played.
It was more or less a disappointment even when it came out, mostly because it was a decent but rather unremarkable 2001 shooter, hardly a stand-out game in any way apart from the title. WW2 was already starting to get a bit old, Nazi zombies even more so, and although the game had some pretty cool parts here and there, most of it was pretty underwhelming considering the expectations. RtCW was not bad by any means, but it probably wasn't even that far removed from Doom 3 with its "this is how the original game would've been like if it was made today" approach. It's just that in 2001 things were still good whereas by 2004 they had taken a huge turn for the worse, so the game ended up being pretty fun in the end, especially since they weren't afraid to put some unashamedly tongue-in-cheek stuff into the game.

I can maybe see RtCW being singled out as the "last of its kind" because of its supernatural elements and overall schlocky approach, especially considering that Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, another Q3-engine WW2 shooter with more focus on authenticity, came out just a couple of months later and pretty much completely eclipsed it in terms of media coverage, but as a game it was hardly a classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom